Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

So Lola needs new rear Struts&springs

Old 01-13-2014, 02:29 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question So Lola needs new rear Struts&springs

so according to my mechanic Paul it does need both parts replaced to fix the sag/premature inside tire wear. He said to search for a pre-assembled quick strut as that online would be the cheapest way to get it done as the parts would be cheaper online. So as i am starting my search i'm finding that there is no quick strut assembly for the 5th gens but as it turns out the 6th gens do. my big question is to whether or not a 6th gen LS rear strut would fit my vehicle to save me big $$ i do have subs in the trunk so if the difference is a higher strength spring i could manage. the work will most likely be done when i'm home on spring break in march.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you are dealing with the front struts, they are not the "normal" type people are used to. Most people are used to a strut that is assembled with a strut bearing plate and coil spring. The 5th gen Monte struts are cartridges. You remove the plate on top of the strut tower and they pull out that way (leaving the coil spring where it's at). If the coils are fine, just replace the cartridges.

Now looking at the shop book, the rear struts appear to be struts with coils and bearing plates. Sadly, I can't find quick struts for that....

If you want to replace the strut, bearing plate and coil, I'd say buy them all and assemble them and throw them in the car. The advantage with the quick struts is replacing the entire assembly in one clean swoop without having to work with a spring compressor. I have not priced them out in years, but it was about $10-$20 more in parts (your savings is time for the most part). Many shocks that do strut replacements for a small fee are normally willing to mount springs/bearing plates and struts for people.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:13 PM

decent Monroe quick struts for the 6th gen ls are $106 each on rock auto parts for the 5th gen are double the price and would need assembly as far as I'm aware the 6th gens rear struts/springs should be a direct fit but I'm guessing the difference is the rating on the spring might be higher? would that be safe?

Old 01-13-2014, 05:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Just a little FYI...

Jason is exactly right about the fronts being Cartridges... However, It takes a special tool set change them out.. (Did mine recently)...

Also I couldn't find any "Quick" Struts for my 5th gen either... So, I just went with swapping out the assembly and re used my current springs... Changing out the upper strut mounts is key...

One other thing you may not notice now til you go to disassemble the rear struts... the actual strut towers on these do rust out horribly... You just may find that the upper tower/mounts maybe in worse shape than you know.. Mine however are showing signs of rust (after driving it for the past 13 yrs as a DD) But mine are not at the point where its going to be a total loss...

So,
I recommend..you check the rear mounts/tower inside the trunk to be sure there not worn to the point of there about to fall apart! Unfortunately..I no longer have the pics of mine..so I cant show you what to look for as far as the rear tower mounts .

I don't know how long it has been that you have been driving with the struts blown out... or when they were last changed... So there maybe more damaged than you would like... From my perspective... Once they are rusted out I don't see any real way to repair or replace them..as it all part of the body its self and not a separate component. I found the pics...

I'd be curious to see the pics of yours just to see if its worth yur while to put struts/cartridges on your monte.

Attached Thumbnails So Lola needs new rear Struts&springs-wp_000885.jpg   So Lola needs new rear Struts&springs-wp_000884.jpg   So Lola needs new rear Struts&springs-wp_000883.jpg  

Last edited by STUMPMI; 01-13-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:46 PM

Running the gen 2 struts will make it steer a lot like it would if you upgraded rear sway bar and not the front. Be perfectly safe to drive.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:01 PM

Who the hell is Lola?

Old 01-13-2014, 07:17 PM

His 97 monte
Originally Posted by Habbibie
Who the hell is Lola?

Old 01-13-2014, 09:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by tps221
decent Monroe quick struts for the 6th gen ls are $106 each on rock auto parts for the 5th gen are double the price and would need assembly as far as I'm aware the 6th gens rear struts/springs should be a direct fit but I'm guessing the difference is the rating on the spring might be higher? would that be safe?
Honestly, I don't know enough about the 5th gens to tell you. Looks like there is some feedback already stating you can swap the rear struts with newer ones and it may upgrade the handling.

Or like David mentioned, replace just the struts and keep the old coils. I've re-used the coils on cars before and it was fine.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

The luminas and 5th gen monte are the same body wise. And if u need struts and springs for the back they do make them. Hard to find but they exist. I know tb is because I needed front struts for my old 95 lumina. But every where I looked online took me to quick struts for montes and luminas but only for the rear. The struts for these cars are referred to as cartridges tho. Hopefully that's helped some what.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:19 PM

drivers side was worse than expected but does not look as bad as yours so maybe i should do some protective measures as welll

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So Lola needs new rear Struts&springs