Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Opinion Needed: Rear Struts

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:37 PM
Default Rear Struts

Ok so I needed new rear struts because they are rattling in the rear. I do a lot of the work myself usually . The problem I run into tonight is after I put the spring on and the top plate I went to tighten the nut on top and it didnt seem to tighten down all the way. So I figured it was ok and re-installed it. I have a 97 LS btw....I pulled it out of the garage since I just did the right side only tonight. Now with the rattling do I need to change the topplate as well or is there an way to get the top nut tightened? The cylinder shaft just turned when the nut went down so far....So any help would be appreciated,this is my first attempt to change struts and hopefully my last !! lol

Old 04-22-2014, 08:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Amy J. Kleyla
Ok so I needed new rear struts because they are rattling in the rear. I do a lot of the work myself usually . The problem I run into tonight is after I put the spring on and the top plate I went to tighten the nut on top and it didnt seem to tighten down all the way. So I figured it was ok and re-installed it. I have a 97 LS btw....I pulled it out of the garage since I just did the right side only tonight. Now with the rattling do I need to change the topplate as well or is there an way to get the top nut tightened? The cylinder shaft just turned when the nut went down so far....So any help would be appreciated,this is my first attempt to change struts and hopefully my last !! lol
I take it you didn't use quick struts?

With that thought in mind.... What did you use to compress the springs?

Also did you replace the top plate? How many miles on those struts since they were changed last?....

More than likely....
If you didn't change the top plate... Its worn out....
Once you get the new top plate you will see a considerable difference!
More than likely the Center hole where the shaft goes thru the top plate for the bolt is more than likely worn out.
After installing new struts on mine I experienced the same thing..thus having to replace the top plate and the rattle disappeared...after the comparison of the old and new top plate... I scratched my head and said to myself.... I should have bought new top plates!

Once you replace the top plate ... the spinning of the shaft shouldn't happen.... I also hope your using an impact to tighten that center bolt/nut on the shaft!

Old 04-22-2014, 10:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't have experience with the 5th gen struts, but I have some general experience with struts.

First, if a vendor makes "quick struts" (it's the strut with a new top/bearing plate and coil), they are nice and easy to slam into the car.

But, dealing with your issue with the nut at the top, there usually is a factory designed way to hold the shaft the nut attaches to (don't try to grab it with vice grips or channel locks, you'll mess up the shaft and this would be all for nothing). In some cases, you put a wrench on the nut and the top of the shaft has a spot to put a socket or another wrench (you may end up tightening it by holding the nut and spinning the shaft).
The nut usually should go until you have no more threads on the shaft to tighten.

It's also not uncommon for it to be a "kept" nut (has a nylon insert or is slightly oblong, this is to help keep it from accidental back up).

I know we have a bunch of 5th gen owners here that might be of more direct help.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

All spring cushions, spacers/bushings properly installed? Are you trying to tighten it with the car up on jack stands, or on the ground? If on stands lower it to the ground so you have some weight on the strut then try to torque it to spec.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:54 PM

I had the strut out of the car,then used a spring compressor to be able to take the top plate off. I put everything back the way it was when I took the old one out and did use an impact to tighten the nut on top but the shaft just kept spinning. I didnt see anywhere where the nut had a torque spec ? I have it in the car now but my question is can you tighten the nut with out the shaft spinning ? My guess is no ? Im thinking the top plate must be worn out as well? The car has 140,000 miles on it now and I dont think they struts have ever been changed,at least that I can tell ? Im going to order the top plates and then do the other side ive not done yet and see if it makes a difference. Hoping they have them in stock ....

Old 04-22-2014, 04:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Amy J. Kleyla
I had the strut out of the car,then used a spring compressor to be able to take the top plate off. I put everything back the way it was when I took the old one out and did use an impact to tighten the nut on top but the shaft just kept spinning. I didnt see anywhere where the nut had a torque spec ? I have it in the car now but my question is can you tighten the nut with out the shaft spinning ? My guess is no ? Im thinking the top plate must be worn out as well? The car has 140,000 miles on it now and I dont think they struts have ever been changed,at least that I can tell ? Im going to order the top plates and then do the other side ive not done yet and see if it makes a difference. Hoping they have them in stock ....
That sounds like a Great Plan Amy..
Please keep us updated of your progress...

My 1999 had 160,00 on it before I changed mine the last time...

Old 04-22-2014, 04:35 PM

like maniac said on the end of the shaft theres a piece that usually accepts an allen wrench to hold it still while you tighten. you just tighten till it bottoms out on the shaft. and 95-99 montes use same topmount as 00+ montes

Old 04-22-2014, 05:02 PM

i only did quick struts unfortunately but i did put 2000 ls setups from raysbestos and i still have some clunking from my right rear. its probably worn out bushings on another part

Old 04-22-2014, 05:04 PM

i had bad lateral links on my 97, used 03 gp gt tubular links and solved that prob

Old 04-22-2014, 08:32 PM

I wanted to buy the pre-assembled struts or quick struts but I couldnt find any for my car so I went with the other option which I didnt wanna do

I also had to tap out the new strut for the brake line bracket...The top plates had to be ordered so hopefully it will be fixed tomorrow if everything goes well. I will keep ya all informed ...

Quick Reply: Opinion Needed: Rear Struts