Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

rear end fit and suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 12:55 AM
Default rear end fit and suspension

Hello all

I am buying a 1970 monte carlo soon and i was planninng to purchase a moser M9 rear end but i have no idea how this is mounted if the brackets are already there and how you set up tje suspension, could anyone help me with this? And also i was looking at the frames of the 1970 monte and i wandered how to get wide wheels and tires on there the frame seems too lsrge to get these tires under there help would be aporeciated

Thank you dany

Old 08-24-2013, 06:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Heres a Link to Mosers web site:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...51156542,d.aWM

Since you haven't given any information as far as what your attempting to do with this Monte Carlo. Its kinda difficult to give any specifics..
The info you have provided is kinda vague... Which sounds to me like your not really sure about what your trying to accomplish.
I do know Moser differentials are "Performance" Rear ends. Are you building a Pro Stock Racer? To help with accomodateing a larger wheel and tire
Im going to suggest tubing out the wheel wells and back halfing the car so as to get the most bang for your buck since you plan on running a "Moser" style rearend.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by STUMPMI; 08-24-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:54 AM

Yes sorry it was a bit vague im planning to build it for drag race , and sorry for the wierd questoon i dont have lots experience in this, what do you mean by tubing out the wheel wells and backhalfing the car, thank you very much

Old 09-07-2013, 07:11 AM

Did you get it figured out?

Moser, strange, TRZ motorsports and others build bolt-in units. It all depends on $ and what kind of options you want.

Thats an A-body I think.. I could be wrong though. With anything from $1,070 from Moser and you still have to put brakes on it, to 1400 from TRZ.. all depends how much you wanna spend

Old 09-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 570BBC
Yes sorry it was a bit vague im planning to build it for drag race , and sorry for the wierd questoon i dont have lots experience in this, what do you mean by tubing out the wheel wells and backhalfing the car, thank you very much
I think what Dave was referring to is 'tubbing' the wheel wells to accommodate a wider wheel/tire combo. Basically you remove the original wheel wells and a portion of the trunk area and replace it with a larger wheel well or 'tub'. My suggestion would be to tub the car before purchasing a rear end housing. That way you can go with the shortest tubes/axles and really big tires under it if that's your goal.

I'm not sure what was meant by 'backhalfing' the car. I assume he meant installing subframe connectors...

Old 09-07-2013, 01:27 PM

musclecar on spike TV tubbed a dodge dart ill have to see if the video is still on the powerblock website as it may help you
http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes...dge-suspension
http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes...eet-dodge-cage

Last edited by tps221; 09-07-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:46 PM

5 Year Member

Back halfing the car simply means using a 4 link suspension and making the back half of the chassis out of round or square stock tubeing that connects directly to the cage... (its recommended when "Back Halfing" the car) to do a complete cage from front horns of the frame all the way to the rear. to eliminate twisting of the frame as well as being able to put all that power directly to the ground....

Its pretty obvious when your chooseing to use a "Moser" rearend assy.... That your planning on running a Motor with some Serrious HP !!!

Im guessing your building a pro/street racer?

The 1970 MonteCarlo..Is a full Framed vehicle... Not a sub framed model...thus, the subframe connectors mentioned before are not useable...

The Frame under the 1970 Monte Carlo is actually the same frame they used for the stationwagons.Hence the "larger/Longer" Radiator shroud.

Hope this helps!

If your just building a vehicle to drive everyday and drag race it.... say with a 327/396/ or 350 punched out....
You could save yourself a lot of time and Money and consider using a Mini spool? with say some 9" slicks..

Since we have no idea what kinda Motor/HP your going to run... Its really hard to say...Just what your needs are VS Functionality..

Last edited by STUMPMI; 09-07-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:46 PM

To me, I wouldn't back half the car unless he plans on putting some steamrollers out back. a 10.5 tire should fit with some minor massaging. We put a 275/60r15 MT radial on an 84 cutlass with some minor creative denting and massaging the wheel wells.

all comes down to budget.. gotta figure out how fast you want to go. That dictates how much cage and money you need to be SFI legal.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:43 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Back halfing the car simply means using a 4 link suspension and making the back half of the chassis out of round or square stock tubeing that connects directly to the cage... (its recommended when "Back Halfing" the car) to do a complete cage from front horns of the frame all the way to the rear. to eliminate twisting of the frame as well as being able to put all that power directly to the ground....
Oh ok, what you refer to as 'back halfing' I have always known as 'framing', with the 4-link being optional.

I think the first thing he needs to do is decide what class he wants to compete in, get a rule book and go from there. Building a street machine is one thing, but if he plans on building for competition he needs to know the rules so he complies.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:43 AM

5 Year Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Oh ok, what you refer to as 'back halfing' I have always known as 'framing', with the 4-link being optional.

I think the first thing he needs to do is decide what class he wants to compete in, get a rule book and go from there. Building a street machine is one thing, but if he plans on building for competition he needs to know the rules so he complies.
You are 100% correct Mike!
Without any further information...
It will be difficult to even begin to give this person the correct info
Actually, I have no clue.. What his intentions are as far as what kind of "drag car" he's trying to build!