Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Question about aftermarket wheels and Tire Pressure Monitoring TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 08:11 PM

does anyone know of any way to disable it? If i put aftermarket wheels on my car but did not equip them with a new tpms system, would the light stay on constantly because there is nothing on the opposite end of the sensor? I hate those things anyway, If you cannot check your tire pressure yourself, you shouldnt be driving lol

Old 09-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Fogertyb
does anyone know of any way to disable it? If i put aftermarket wheels on my car but did not equip them with a new tpms system, would the light stay on constantly because there is nothing on the opposite end of the sensor? I hate those things anyway, If you cannot check your tire pressure yourself, you shouldnt be driving lol
I feel your pain man, I have one out and I hate it I thought when I bought the car it was kinda cool. but now it totally sux! I also have a bad speed sensor or wheel bearing that is giving me a fit. My ABS/Trac control lights are on and I think all I need to do is clean the sensor, but I have no place to work on my car

Old 09-20-2010, 12:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

I Like the sensor though.. If you start to get a flat as your driving than it will tell you.. its saved my *** twice. I stopped and found a tire that was low. the first time I had a complete puncture and the second I had 2 nails in tire. If it wasn't for the monitor it would have blown out most likely

Old 09-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by jaws2008
I Like the sensor though.. If you start to get a flat as your driving than it will tell you.. its saved my *** twice. I stopped and found a tire that was low. the first time I had a complete puncture and the second I had 2 nails in tire. If it wasn't for the monitor it would have blown out most likely
Josh, great post, never even thought about that, glad you posted! Gives me something to think about when I say wtf every morning on my 80+ mph drive to work on the PA turnpike thanks man

Old 10-24-2013, 09:32 PM

I just purchased a set of wheels and tires, and the guy I bought them from left the sensors on, I have a 03 Monte Carlo SS, did all of our cars for sure come with TPMS as standard equipment or does anyone know a for sure way to check the vehicle, like in the vin or anywhere else besides finding the setting in the radio? thanks

Old 10-25-2013, 05:38 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wait, there's a TPMS in the 6Th gens? When I bought my 02 it had 22s on it, after a year I reduced them to 18s, there was also an aftermarket head unit in the car. I haven't seen anything that says anything about tire pressure. And the 22s were always loosing air. So What if anything should I be looking for to tell me this system is in my 02 SS?

Old 10-25-2013, 08:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Wait, there's a TPMS in the 6Th gens? When I bought my 02 it had 22s on it, after a year I reduced them to 18s, there was also an aftermarket head unit in the car. I haven't seen anything that says anything about tire pressure. And the 22s were always loosing air. So What if anything should I be looking for to tell me this system is in my 02 SS?
Your wheel hub assemblies monitor the rotation of the wheels, if one wheel is spinning at a different rate than the others, you car assumes it's because the tire pressure is different and throws a light in the message center. If all of your wheels are losing tire pressure at the same time, it won't throw the message.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by JC Colon`

More than likely, your aftermarket radio disable that. Radios in those years controlled EVERYTHING, from alarm, to TPMS .

Old 10-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Hiroska

More than likely, your aftermarket radio disable that. Radios in those years controlled EVERYTHING, from alarm, to TPMS .
You can get a harness to allow your controls to still work AND as far as I know the pcm monitors it all the radio is the digital interface, the gas pedal and such are the analogue interface.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Maybe the aftermarket head unit did disable the TPMS. I say that because for a month before I got the 18s I was riding to work on 3 22s and a donut. Never got any tire pressure warning on the dash. Which is OK cause I check my tire pressure every other Sunday. I've seen those systems fail telling you your tire was low but when you check it they all have the same pressure in them.

Quick Reply: Question about aftermarket wheels and Tire Pressure Monitoring TPMS