Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Powder coatin' rims

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Default Powder coatin' rims

Alright, so lucky me, I have a buddy who's family owns a powder coating set up. So, instead of spending like 600 bucks on new rims, I'm going to powder coat my rims instead. I have decided that I want the inside of the rims black and the sides of the inserts. Basically, the only part that will be left alone will be the front of the rim. There is also a bowtie in the middle of the rim that I'm going to have painted as well. I'm convinced that this will turn out pretty sweet because I'm going to put on one of those SLP grills on along with some black taillight covers. Any thoughts?

Old 04-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i have always wanted to powder coat my rims....let me know how it comes out

Old 04-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

I can't exactly picture what you are planning to do but be sure to post some pics when it's done!

Old 04-01-2011, 01:07 PM

Haha, I was worried that the picture may not come through very well. I talked to my friend again and it sounds like I wont have my rims for like a week, so I need to figure out if I'm going to get some temporary rims or just put it on blocks for a week haha.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:58 AM

That sounds a little ghetto though right?? lmao

Old 04-02-2011, 11:10 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Randdady
Haha, I was worried that the picture may not come through very well. I talked to my friend again and it sounds like I wont have my rims for like a week, so I need to figure out if I'm going to get some temporary rims or just put it on blocks for a week haha.
You could always pick up some steelies and then end of up keeping those for winter wheels so you don't ruin the newly painted ones, then you would have the car for the week also

Originally Posted by 1996Monte_Carlo
That sounds a little ghetto though right?? lmao
what?

Old 04-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's actually a great idea. I had my stock OEM rims powder coated Harley Black and then a Red Pinstripe painted to the lip. Then 2 coats of the clear coat applied. I think they look just fine, got the optional Chrome lug nut covers to match my center caps and I'm in business. I think you will love the results..........Post pics for us all to marvel at...

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 05-26-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:43 PM

I'll keep you guys posted as to how its going. It may take a while since I'll be graduating high school in about a month and I have a ton of other stuff going on haha.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
It's actually a great idea. I had my stock OEM rims powder coated Harley Black and then a Red Pinstripe painted to the lip. Then 2 coats of the clear coat applied. I think they look just fine, got the optional Chrome lug nut covers to match my center caps and I'm in business. I think you will love the results..........Post pics for us all to marvel at...
if you don't mind me asking, how much did that run you? they look great!

Old 04-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
if you don't mind me asking, how much did that run you? they look great!
Hey bro, if I remember right it was $40 per rim to have them powder coated and $75 to have all 4 red pinstriped and clear coated. The shop who did the pinstriping and coating also painted my stripes on a few months before, so perhaps they cut me some slack, and then perhaps not. Comes out to about $60 per rim...Cheaper than buying new rims. I mean I looked and looked at rims and nothing fit in with my Black / Red theme. So this was my work around solution.

I actually liked the OEM rims, seemed to be a pretty nice design. The car was designed with 16" in mind and it helps at the track with this size rim. Bought a spare set of the same OEM rims, had them powder coated the same and mounted my Drag radials. Looks kosher at the track that way....

Now go get yours done...You can get a whole myriad of colors, and it's not like you painted them. I use wheel cleaners and power wash them with out worring about the color flaking off.

Quick Reply: Powder coatin' rims