Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

>Performance tire throwdown>Road&Track<

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question >Performance tire throwdown>Road&Track<

Performance tire throwdown

By Robin Warner April 15, 2014 5:29 PM

(Photo: Marc Urbano)

MORE AT ROAD & TRACK

Tires affect everything. You know this, right? That connection to the road impacts steering feel, handling, grip, and ride—the things we love about our cars that separate the good ones from the bad. So when the original Continental ContiSportContact tires wore out on my 2001 BMW M3, I decided to explore some options.

Specifically, I wanted to know how the car would do on tires from different performance categories. For example, would a less expensive all-season tire kill the BMW's precise steering? Would a higher-performance tire yield crisper handling? Is there such a thing as too much grip?

To answer these questions, I visited Tire Rack's small test track in South Bend, Indiana. With the assistance of advisor Woody Rogers, I measured lap times and drove three different tires on a variety of surfaces to suss out noise and ride quality. We didn't find the one tire that does everything perfectly, but we did come up with one that suits our tastes.

(Photo: Josh Scott)

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season
[ Ultra High Performance All-Season ]

Road >> Steering feels buried under a thick pile of pudding. The crisp handling supplied by the M3's stiff suspension is muted by these squishy sidewalls, but I've never enjoyed a comfier ride.
Track >> Cornering is like standing on an exercise ball, wobbly and unstable. The grip just isn't there—fun, though, as you can easily overwhelm the rear.
Lap time >> 31.35 sec

Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 R
[ Extreme Performance Summer ]

Road >> "Can you feel those sharp bumps?" Rogers asks. "Those are tar strips!" On this tire, you feel everything.
Track >> Sharp turn-in, more steering feel, monster grip. But extra grip can amplify a car's tendencies, and the M3's once-mild understeer becomes relentless. Lap times drop, but at a cost: No more sideways fun.
Lap time >> 29.97 sec

Michelin Pilot Super Sport
[ Max Performance Summer ]

Road >> Huge steering-feel improvement over the all-seasons, not as stiff as the extreme summers. Turn-in slightly delayed compared with the Yokos, but the linear relationship between lateral force and steering weight makes driving a joy.
Track >> Proper roadholding, more communication. Fell in love with the car all over again.
Lap time >> 30.14 sec

Our Verdict:
We assumed that the stickier, faster Yokos would make the M3 more entertaining, but they made the car lose its flow. The Michelins—the closest to the M3's original rubber—were our favorites. Engineers tune a car's suspension to a few specific tires, so if you're happy with how your car feels, stick with the status quo.

[More at Road & Track: 10 Insane Rides by Boutique Car Makers]

[Related video: Are performance tires worth the price?]
https://autos.yahoo.com/video/perfor...191021492.html <Click

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 04-17-2014 at 05:48 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A throwdown but only test 3 tire brands? No Pirelli? No Nitto? No Hankook? No Falken? It reads more like an infomercial for Michelin...

Old 04-17-2014, 07:47 AM

I'll stick with my Goodyear Eagle F1's. I don't want to have to buy a new shop sign that says "Yokohama" or "Michelin". It's the little things that matter.