Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Painted my Tire Letter's Yellow

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 08:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by efjeff
Thanks for sharing your method JerryZ. I got this set of used tires on some rims from a 2002 Dale Earnhardt Edition. They're in good shape - still got some whiskers on them. I washed them up and used the posca pen you suggested. I think they turned out real nice. Hopefully I can put them on this weekend.

By the way, I was wondering what you did to your rims JerryZ. The ones I got with these tires have some clear coat coming off. I was thinking of restoring them over the winter next year. I read some other threads in the forum suggesting airplane stripper, or lots of sandpaper. Just curious if you did something to get your rims so nice.
You can use some "Circa 1850" furniture strip to remove the clear coat, just put it on and wipe it off, may take a couple of tries but it bubbles and eats the clear coat, then get some autosol (or any type of aluminum cleaning compound) and work on the rims. It takes a bit of effort but if you have them off the car it is a lot easier, this will make them look like almost chrome (used to do it on the aluminum parts on my harley's) and if you can do it, spray some more clear coat on them. They will return to better than new as they will be shinier.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Good info

Originally Posted by ohara
You can use some "Circa 1850" furniture strip to remove the clear coat, just put it on and wipe it off, may take a couple of tries but it bubbles and eats the clear coat, then get some autosol (or any type of aluminum cleaning compound) and work on the rims. It takes a bit of effort but if you have them off the car it is a lot easier, this will make them look like almost chrome (used to do it on the aluminum parts on my harley's) and if you can do it, spray some more clear coat on them. They will return to better than new as they will be shinier.
That's some good information on restoring wheels. I have been wanting to do mine.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:24 AM
Default Check it out

Look nice. It was a great weekend for driving.

Thanks for the restore tips. I like the 5 spoke rim design - they'll look great if they can shine like chrome.

Attached Thumbnails Painted my Tire Letter's Yellow-xly6z.jpg  
Old 04-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Default Bring back the Shine

I was able to clean up the Caps. I used a Micro-fiber cloth and fingernail polish remover or Acetone. I didn't want to use any sandpaper to do this work. I repainted the bowtie and then re-cleared the cap. I didn't try to do the wheel as it looked pretty good, yet.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
I repainted the bowtie and then re-cleared the cap. I didn't try to do the wheel as it looked pretty good, yet.
What did you use to put a clear coat on your center cap?

Old 04-17-2014, 05:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Thumbs up GM parts clear coat

I have some GM parts clear coat in a spray can, worked real well. I think that most clear coats that are compatible with the paint would work. I tested it first on some sheet metal with the same color.
I did this one time and it bubbled the paint underneath so you need to be cautious of what you use.
I didn't want to dirty up a spray gun for just a small amount.
If you know someone who works at a body shop you can ask them to clear the item. They are using clear coat to paint all the time.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:03 PM
Default yellow paint

hi I have a dr pepper monte carlo my car has 225/60r/16 no one makes white letter tires or out line tires any more in my size all they make is black walls raised letters are black what paint in Yellow do I need to buy so to make the lettering Yellow

Old 07-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by pionex292
hi I have a dr pepper monte carlo my car has 225/60r/16 no one makes white letter tires or out line tires any more in my size all they make is black walls raised letters are black what paint in Yellow do I need to buy so to make the lettering Yellow

They have different colors ..
Here's what I used..
Just take your time, I had to put three coats on..
Here's a LINK:http://www.durablesupply.com/exbroadpoinp.html

Old 07-16-2014, 12:38 PM

It's been about 3 months now and I'm still loving the yellow letters on my tires thanks to Zjerry's method.
When people ask me where I got them, I just tell them I got them on Craig's List (which is true) but I've gotten a bit of eye-rolling when I tell them I used surfboard markers.

What do you tell people who ask where you got your tires?
I got them on my car. ;-)

Old 07-16-2014, 12:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by efjeff
It's been about 3 months now and I'm still loving the yellow letters on my tires thanks to Zjerry's method.
When people ask me where I got them, I just tell them I got them on Craig's List (which is true) but I've gotten a bit of eye-rolling when I tell them I used surfboard markers.

What do you tell people who ask where you got your tires?
I got them on my car. ;-)

Glad I could help..
I tell them I painted the letters yellow..

Quick Reply: Painted my Tire Letter's Yellow