Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

New struts KYB SR4002. ??? Any good ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default New struts KYB SR4002. ??? Any good ?

Hello, I'm getting some new struts for the Monte and not sure what kind to buy. I seen some KYB SR 4002 "loaded" for $120 . Are these good for the Monte ? I don't need "spots" suspension right now, just want to get a nice clean smooth ride, like it was brand new. What do you guys think of the Monroe Sensation track struts ?

Also, has anyone done THIER own struts by compressing the springs with the Harbor fright spring compressors ? Skeptical on buying the sprig compressor because it looks "cheap" but don't have a lot to spend on a tool I'm only gonna use on these 4 struts.

I'm battling back n forth weather to get the "loaded struts" or bare struts. The price difference is HUGE, even though I problem will need the top bearings. I put wanted n needed. Thanks agin for any help I can get... Michael....

Old 09-05-2013, 02:55 PM

They do have a good warranty & your price is right.
Warranty, Labor: KYB offers a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser of Shock Absorbers, Struts and Strut Cartridges (except Strut - Plus, Electronic and Self - Leveling Units).
Amazon.com: KYB SR4002 Strut-Plus Complete Assembly: Automotive Amazon.com: KYB SR4002 Strut-Plus Complete Assembly: Automotive

Source link above with customer reviews...
Good Luck & let us know what you decide + a future review of your install > Good Luck

Old 09-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

I've done my own struts on BOTH my 2003 and 2006 Monte, and both times I went with bare struts and loaded the springs myself. For the 2003 I went with KYB AGX struts and installed Eibach's lowering springs. For the 2006 I have Bilstein HD-Series struts and installed Canuck Motorsports lowering springs. The manual spring compressors (that use a wrench to work open and close) get the job done fairly well. You don't really need any fancy expensive spring compressors.

It ultimately depends on your situation and what you're willing to pay. Know that if you're going to order bare struts you'll be investing a lot more of your time, if installing yourself, thus your car may be out of commission for a longer period. The insulators on the old struts need to be swapped over to the new struts, so the old strut assemblies need to come apart as well. Both times I did struts on mine the work extended over about a 12 day period; granted that was not working 24/7 on it and that included cleaning stuff and doing some other things as well. I don't have personal experience or knowledge with the Monroes but those are affordable and I'm pretty sure I've heard good reviews on those. My Bilstein/Canuck Motorsports setup on my 06 cost around $1,580 for parts; that includes the struts, springs, and mounts. I installed everything myself.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

It sounds like you purchased "Quick Struts" which is what I put on mine...

As Matt had already mentioned, You will still have to transfer the strut bushings from the old ones to the new struts..... My neighbor actually did the replaceing of mine....

As far as the "Harbor Freight" spring compressors.... My neighbor uses them and has had no issues with them...I have observed him using them many times over the years... The one advantage he has he used an impact gun VS doing it by hand with wrenchs.... But If you have access to using an impact for tightening/compressing the springs... That it shouldn't take all that long to get the job done... He did mine in a cpl hrs in my cramped 1 car garage...LOL

I hope this info helps and Good luck.... Just be careful!

Old 09-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Or you could take all your parts into a local shop and have them swap things around for you. They have all the tools, let them know your budget and see if they will work with you. it will only take them about 15 minutes per strut at the very most. Offer them $75 cash, no receipt needed and see if they bite on it. Most probably will. Good luck...

Old 09-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Like Greg said, you can take the parts to a shop to have them install the components for you. However, I have heard of some shops denying services like that if you haven't ordered the parts directly through the shop/service provider. It's kind of like taking your own food to a restaurant to eat it. In this case, yes you're still paying them to perform a service but some will still not touch your parts unless you ordered the parts directly through them.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Space
They do have a good warranty & your price is right.

Amazon.com: KYB SR4002 Strut-Plus Complete Assembly: Automotive

Source link above with customer reviews...
Good Luck & let us know what you decide + a future review of your install > Good Luck
Cool, thanks..ill let ya know how it goes and what I get n did.. Thanks...mjclemm..

Old 09-06-2013, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
I've done my own struts on BOTH my 2003 and 2006 Monte, and both times I went with bare struts and loaded the springs myself. For the 2003 I went with KYB AGX struts and installed Eibach's lowering springs. For the 2006 I have Bilstein HD-Series struts and installed Canuck Motorsports lowering springs. The manual spring compressors (that use a wrench to work open and close) get the job done fairly well. You don't really need any fancy expensive spring compressors.

It ultimately depends on your situation and what you're willing to pay. Know that if you're going to order bare struts you'll be investing a lot more of your time, if installing yourself, thus your car may be out of commission for a longer period. The insulators on the old struts need to be swapped over to the new struts, so the old strut assemblies need to come apart as well. Both times I did struts on mine the work extended over about a 12 day period; granted that was not working 24/7 on it and that included cleaning stuff and doing some other things as well. I don't have personal experience or knowledge with the Monroes but those are affordable and I'm pretty sure I've heard good reviews on those. My Bilstein/Canuck Motorsports setup on my 06 cost around $1,580 for parts; that includes the struts, springs, and mounts. I installed everything myself.

Thanks for the input.... As far as down time goes, that's no issue at all..... I have all the time in the world... Retired....don't hardly drive the car...right now enjoying my new Camaro.. but want to do the Monte right...I don't mind swapping parts out, just didn't want to have to buy a $300 spring compressor for a one off job...lol... Ill let ya know when I decide.. Thanks again...mjclemm..

Old 09-06-2013, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
It sounds like you purchased "Quick Struts" which is what I put on mine...

As Matt had already mentioned, You will still have to transfer the strut bushings from the old ones to the new struts..... My neighbor actually did the replaceing of mine....

As far as the "Harbor Freight" spring compressors.... My neighbor uses them and has had no issues with them...I have observed him using them many times over the years... The one advantage he has he used an impact gun VS doing it by hand with wrenchs.... But If you have access to using an impact for tightening/compressing the springs... That it shouldn't take all that long to get the job done... He did mine in a cpl hrs in my cramped 1 car garage...LOL

I hope this info helps and Good luck.... Just be careful!

Thanks for the info, that's what I was looking for.. I have an air compressor and a 3 1/2 car garage, so I have the room to get it done and not in a rush, so I think I'll go ahead and buy the spring compressor and give er a shot.. Thanks so much again.... Mjclemm...

Old 09-06-2013, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
Like Greg said, you can take the parts to a shop to have them install the components for you. However, I have heard of some shops denying services like that if you haven't ordered the parts directly through the shop/service provider. It's kind of like taking your own food to a restaurant to eat it. In this case, yes you're still paying them to perform a service but some will still not touch your parts unless you ordered the parts directly through them.
I know what ya mean, I used to work in a garage YEARS AGO. And we wouldn't touch a customers parts. Waaaaay to many issues that come with you doing some of the labor as well as legal issues... Even without paperwork I've seen shops get sued in the past. My son tried to get a shop to install an alternator that he bought at Autozone and they said ... "No way" .... But, never know ... Thanks..mjclemm

Quick Reply: New struts KYB SR4002. ??? Any good ?