Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

New brakes on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 01:19 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default New brakes on a budget

Hey, lately I have been noticing that my brakes haven't been able to stop me like they once could, they have been screeching, and they are giving off a lot of brake dust.. It's most likely time for new brakes but, I have a small budget. I make a max of about 200 bucks a week at my current part time job and about half of that gets spent when I try to save it. I need some help finding good brakes that are quiet, and good quality that won't have me spending $500 on them. Pads and rotors all 4 wheels probably. Any Suggestions?

Old 09-15-2012, 09:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

I dont know what auto parts stores you have in your area..But 4 rotors and ceramic pads should do the trick!

Old 09-15-2012, 10:34 AM

do you know for sure you need new pads and rotors? have you checked them? screeching and brake dust usually mean you need new pads. those are cheap. rotors, probably not. get them turned if grooved. cheap too.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:44 PM

I don't know for sure, but when I brake it also shakes my entire car. I don't know if it's just my ABS or not but once I have some time I'll check them out

Old 09-15-2012, 12:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by jimbo7
do you know for sure you need new pads and rotors? have you checked them? screeching and brake dust usually mean you need new pads. those are cheap. rotors, probably not. get them turned if grooved. cheap too.
If im not mistaken....they will be to thin to turn....
From the factory design...Less rotateing mass.for fuel economy etc...

Only older models have enough "Meat" to get them turned...

General rule of thumb..new pads...=....new rotors.. to do it correctly...On these new model vehicles!

YOU CANT PUT A PRICE ON "SAFTEY" !!!

Old 09-15-2012, 01:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by MonteCarlSS
I don't know for sure, but when I brake it also shakes my entire car. I don't know if it's just my ABS or not but once I have some time I'll check them out
Your rotors are warped if your car shakes when you apply the brakes. You need new rotors.

You can get all four corners done for under $200 if you get some cheapies off of ebay. I have some from brakemotive on my car. Most people don't recommend getting cheap brakes because they can save your life. I honestly haven't had a problem with mine though. Rotors are rotors now a days.. almost all of them are made in china anyway.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
Your rotors are warped if your car shakes when you apply the brakes. You need new rotors.

You can get all four corners done for under $200 if you get some cheapies off of ebay. I have some from brakemotive on my car. Most people don't recommend getting cheap brakes because they can save your life. I honestly haven't had a problem with mine though. Rotors are rotors now a days.. almost all of them are made in china anyway.
X2, it's time for new rotors.

I personally have never had a set "turned" before. I've only replaced them once in the 30k I've put on the car so I felt it would be beneficial to spend a little more and just get new rotors vs. turning the old ones. Just my opinion though.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
X2, it's time for new rotors.

I personally have never had a set "turned" before. I've only replaced them once in the 30k I've put on the car so I felt it would be beneficial to spend a little more and just get new rotors vs. turning the old ones. Just my opinion though.
Okay, Thanks for the input, I think that I will save up my money and find some possibly slotted rotors and some quality pads. It might take me awhile to get the money but it should be worth it. Even though they may be warped, it still feels like they have some life in them yet, so I should be good for now! Thanks for all of the feedback guys!

Old 09-17-2012, 09:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Go to rockauto.com and check what they have.

They have it broken down by budget/performance/OEM/etc.

I just did front brakes and rotors on the Monte (typically those are the rotors that warp). I picked up Centric Premium Blank rotors for $50/ea and then I grabbed some Bendix Ceramic pads for $30 (I bought on Amazon using RockAuto's part numbers, because free shipping). Spent $130 on the fronts and installed them on Saturday.

Typically your back rotors don't really warp, you could get away just sanding the surface of the rotor (in a crosshatch) and just changing the pads for another $30

Old 09-17-2012, 11:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I just did rotors and pads on all four wheels on my Monte. All parts from RockAuto.com. Everything I bought was from the "high performance/heavy duty" heading.
Bendix Ceramic pads (I wanna say about $30 per set), AC Delco Advantage Rotors (agian, I think about $30 per wheel). I believe after a RockAuto coupon code and shipping I was around $200. I LOVE the set I have on the Monte right now. Well worth it, and cheaper then buying from the local parts stores....

Quick Reply: New brakes on a budget