Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires/Rims/Suspension (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/)
-   -   7th Gen ('06-'07): need help with finding struts (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/need-help-finding-struts-46230/)

06mistreSS 01-09-2014 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by monte07 (Post 589516)
thanks for the help the only bilstein I have found is only for the rear could I use the suspention from the 6th gen for front and back?

I know with the Bilsteins it doesn't matter 6th Gen or 7th Gen, they're the same part number front and rears so they're compatible with all years 2000-07.

I had heard that Bilstein was discontinuing these struts, which might be why you can only find rears, but honestly I have no clue if that's true or a rumor.

sjhartter 01-18-2014 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by monte07 (Post 589516)
thanks for the help the only bilstein I have found is only for the rear could I use the suspention from the 6th gen for front and back?

I am in the same boat, going on the recommendation of using the Bilstein struts the only place that I could find them is on Amazon for $307 a piece (holy crap). I had already bought the lowering springs from Canuck, not realizing I should be replacing the struts too. (yes I am ignorant to doing certain mods). With all that said, can anyone recommend what I can do with my strut dilemma?

sjhartter 02-06-2014 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS (Post 585936)
Bilstein (^what he means) is probably the best quality strut available but they're a bit pricey and you'll definitely pay for them. My 06 is lowered and I'm running HD-Series Bilsteins; they're worth every penny in my opinion.

KYB also makes a decent strut. AGX is their high-end sport strut with gas adjustable ride quality. They also make a few different series of struts.

Obviously Monroe too but theirs are more along the lines of OE factory replacements so you won't get any increased stiffness.

Matt, My name is Steve and I could use your opinion. I am ready to pull the trigger on the Bilstein struts and was wondering what your thoughts were on going with the "normal" versus the "HD" struts? It's almost $400 more for the HD's and was curious if it was worth the extra $$. Thanks !

06mistreSS 02-06-2014 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by sjhartter (Post 595406)
Matt, My name is Steve and I could use your opinion. I am ready to pull the trigger on the Bilstein struts and was wondering what your thoughts were on going with the "normal" versus the "HD" struts? It's almost $400 more for the HD's and was curious if it was worth the extra $$. Thanks !

The HD-Series is firmer and more of a sport, or performance, strut while the Comfort Series is less aggressive and more along the lines of a direct replacement in terms of stock feel. I went with the HD because, being a heavier duty strut, it's obviously going to better withstand the harsher conditions of a lowered setup. In my opinion it's worth the extra $$ if lowering.

The issue now becomes, can you actually find both Bilstein fronts and rears currently available? If you can, that's awesome but, from what I've heard, Bilstein has discontinued these struts recently. I've searched for them myself, including the supplier I ordered mine from, and am only finding rears available which correlates with what others seem to be finding.

sjhartter 02-07-2014 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS (Post 595447)
The HD-Series is firmer and more of a sport, or performance, strut while the Comfort Series is less aggressive and more along the lines of a direct replacement in terms of stock feel. I went with the HD because, being a heavier duty strut, it's obviously going to better withstand the harsher conditions of a lowered setup. In my opinion it's worth the extra $$ if lowering.

The issue now becomes, can you actually find both Bilstein fronts and rears currently available? If you can, that's awesome but, from what I've heard, Bilstein has discontinued these struts recently. I've searched for them myself, including the supplier I ordered mine from, and am only finding rears available which correlates with what others seem to be finding.

Thank you for the info! I am going by your recommendation and just pulled the trigger! CarID.com had them in stock. $1200 later...............

06mistreSS 02-07-2014 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by sjhartter (Post 595599)
Thank you for the info! I am going by your recommendation and just pulled the trigger! CarID.com had them in stock. $1200 later...............

Oh wow, good to hear you found them! Little expensive but you will love them with the Canucks. Also, depending on the mileage on your stock struts, I'd recommend replacing the strut mounts as well. Actually it's not a bad idea, regardless of mileage, to start off with new strut mounts so they last as long as the new struts themselves.

sjhartter 02-07-2014 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS (Post 595604)
Oh wow, good to hear you found them! Little expensive but you will love them with the Canucks. Also, depending on the mileage on your stock struts, I'd recommend replacing the strut mounts as well. Actually it's not a bad idea, regardless of mileage, to start off with new strut mounts so they last as long as the new struts themselves.

Yeh, it's only money! LOL. I was already pricing new strut mounts on Advance Auto parts web site. Monro's kits aren't too bad. Moog is outrageous! Hoping to get all the new components assembled before I pull out the old struts. Is there anything else I need to buy to do this install (other than a spring compressor)? Never done struts before!!

Slugger088 02-07-2014 09:55 AM

I think that would be all you need.

Excellent decision to go with those. I have no complaints so far. I'm glad I was recommended them and would pass along the same recommendation.

Hiroska 02-07-2014 11:01 AM

So im assuming from this convo is that, all the 6th gen struts would fit our 7th gens? Even if its not the ones listed during this convo? Im gonna be looking for a new set of struts after it warms up a bit and sorry to say, I cannot afford the 1200 lol. Ima kiddo going through college, funds are scarce, even with a full time job.

06mistreSS 02-07-2014 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by sjhartter (Post 595607)
Yeh, it's only money! LOL. I was already pricing new strut mounts on Advance Auto parts web site. Monro's kits aren't too bad. Moog is outrageous! Hoping to get all the new components assembled before I pull out the old struts. Is there anything else I need to buy to do this install (other than a spring compressor)? Never done struts before!!

Good to hear. Other than the typical mechanics tools and a spring compressor you won't need anything else. The upper and lower coil spring insulators from the factory strut assemblies being replaced will need to be swapped over to the new assemblies as you build the new ones.

Originally Posted by Hiroska (Post 595639)
So im assuming from this convo is that, all the 6th gen struts would fit our 7th gens? Even if its not the ones listed during this convo? Im gonna be looking for a new set of struts after it warms up a bit and sorry to say, I cannot afford the 1200 lol. Ima kiddo going through college, funds are scarce, even with a full time job.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that for all aftermarket struts/manufacturers. GM did use the same strut for 2006-07 as it did for the 2000-05; factory OEM struts are listed the same for both applications and listed as either "w/sport pkg." or "w/o sport pkg" depending on the respective suspension pkg. I can say the Bilsteins list applications for 2000-07, so the exact same part across all years listed in that range. I've also heard recently that the KYB AGX struts, which are typically listed as 2000-03 or 2000-05, can be used on the 2006-07 no problem. Another thread on here with a bit of info on that > https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...-struts-46850/. The AGX's are roughly half the price of the Bilsteins.