Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion Needed: Need a good opinion

Old 05-05-2015, 09:50 PM
Default Need a good opinion

Hey guys im on my final stage of removing my engine and trannyeverything unhooked and motor mounts unbolted

the only thing holding me back is my axles,i didn't have any way of getting them off,i wont be able to get an axle nut socket to break the axle free until Friday and id like to get it out tomorrow,should I just cut them off with a grinder close to the tranny?

il be swapping in a l67 so il need new axles anyways

Old 05-05-2015, 10:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here are a few members comments of axle removal. Hope this helps somewhat for you.

drivers side axle went bad, decided to replace both to eb safe, cant get either out. The drivers side tore off and all i have is the cup hanging out of the tranny, pass side is intact, but its not budging either. I've tried quick jerks, pry bars, hammers, i cant get either of these out of the trans. What the hell is going on?

I think i might go rent of these if that doesnt work.
http://www.tracystruesoaps.com/tutor...cvpass/09b.jpg

Slide hammer saved the day (Above), i guess the pry bar was pushing the axles at a weird angle and binding up the ring? Idk, i rented a slide hammer and cv axle remover for it and they came out pretty easy, had a little issue getting it on the driver side axle but once i got it all was good. Thanks for the help guys!

Hi Matt,
What size Crowbar are you using? Mine is about 3 ft long. The angle I stuck it was towards the front and middle, about 2oclock. Once I got the bar between the cup and the Trans the cup popped out! This was on the passenger side. I never looked at the drivers side cause it was fine. There is a sensor or connector just forward of the cup. That's were I placed the bar for leverage. Wish I had taken pics, but I was So frustrated, as I'm sure you are.
I think the length of the bar and the angle you place it are key. I didn't have to use the hammer cause the length of the bar provided the pressure needed. And you may want to push the cup into the Trans as far as it will go So there is some travel before the lock washer on the spindle of the cup hits it's stop. Hope this helps!

The shop book normally calls for getting behind the axle and using a drift and a hammer a few taps and out.
I had the same situation with my old '94 Grand Am. I used a thick and long flat head screw driver, put the flat head as close to the center the "cup" and a couple good whacks with the hammer and it popped out pretty easily.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:10 PM

thanks for the input Zippy..do you think hitting it with a hammer would work if the axle nut is still on? the only goo place I can get a good angle at is under the car and I have the front of the car sitting on concrete blocks and it makes me nervous crawling underneath,i already cut the rubber bootsoff the passenger axle that's why I wasn't too worried about cutting it

Old 05-05-2015, 11:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
10 Year Member

have read where people remove the lower control arm when they cannot get the axle nut off, and then they can pop the axle free from the tranny housing..

Old 05-06-2015, 09:08 AM

Thanks again, I was just making sure it was possible before I tried,i should have the engine out today...im kinda stoked lol

Old 05-06-2015, 11:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
10 Year Member

If you still have the brake pads and rotors on it, you could get somebody to hold the brake pedal and break the nut loose with a breaker bar, I think. I've done it on a Honda at least lol.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:43 PM

I get them out,i had to pound two bolts out on the upper control arm (I think that's what its called lol) and the axle gears fell out of the cup thanks Guys for the help,ive been stumped for two days lol