Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

More steering wheel input feel.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default More steering wheel input feel.

So does anyone know how to firm up the steering wheel feed back. My 01 monte ss and every other w body i have drove all feel loose. Is there any way to give it a more sporty feel?

Old 11-02-2016, 11:20 AM

Mine felt "sporty" when the pump went out!

Old 11-02-2016, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by WBody
Mine felt "sporty" when the pump went out!
Yeaahhhhhhh. Need something thats a little more reliable that a burnt up pump..lol.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:29 PM

Kind of a long shot, but I thought the grand prix had some models with variable effort steering. Not sure what all it would take to make that work in a monte though. I think the pump is the same, but the rack is different, and there is an electrical connection driven from the pcm based on vehicle speed.

I don't know much about it though, so I'm just guessing at what may be different.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Smile

I took a little tour of Youtube and found several things that maybe of interest there if you want to check this out.
I think there is a Strut that can be mounted on the front of the tie rod assembly, it mounts to the frame but I don't recall if it can be used on the front wheel drive car.
Seems as I saw an episode of Gears that covered that.
You may want to check that out to see if there is something that may apply.
I think some thing to check is a complete alignment. This should take some of the play out of the system.
Good subject keep the info up to date.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member

I will look into the videos later. I had a alignment done after i installed the drop springs. They made a toe adjustment and said the camber was off understanding so ( and i forgot to woller out the holes in the strut. I know i can put me some postive caster in and firm it up. Dont they make a adjustable upper strut plate?

Old 11-04-2016, 11:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Kind of a long shot, but I thought the grand prix had some models with variable effort steering. Not sure what all it would take to make that work in a monte though. I think the pump is the same, but the rack is different, and there is an electrical connection driven from the pcm based on vehicle speed.

I don't know much about it though, so I'm just guessing at what may be different.
I don't know if all 00+ Montes had variable effort steering, by my '04 SS has it. I've also dealt with it in my '02 Grand Am, but my '04 does not have it. I could take it or leave it, not a big deal to me. But in the Grand Ams, from what I can tell, it's a different pump and connection to the EBCM (aka ABS computer). I believe the rack is the same.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by haha chad
Dont they make a adjustable upper strut plate?
No. There aren't a whole lot of suspension upgrades available for these cars.

They're not super complicated though, you can just buy universal ones and make them work.