Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Master cylinder gone? Help! No brakes T_T

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 07:46 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Master cylinder gone? Help! No brakes T_T

So for awhile now my rear brake calipers have been stuck on the pads, like when I try to change the pads, I can't take off the caliper unless I take off the bracket. So I first tried to repair the calipers, didn't work, I bought 4 new ones since I figured I'd replace the two in the rear, the two in the from would eventually go as well.

And yes I did bleed the brakes after I put the calipers back on after rebuilding, still got stuck sticking, so at that point I was like wtf.

So I put the new calipers on, and notice like my brake is almost able to reach the floor, well the first time I put the front ones on wrong, I was rushing don't kill me, so I swapped back around and rebelled the brakes.

When I rebleed them, I used a water bottle with the nylon hose and poked a hole so air could release, the fluid coming it clearly had a lot of air, the only brake fluid in the bottle was even bubbling.

So I finished bleeding them and still, barely any brakes, it doesn't go to the floor but I can tell the difference day and night. I made sure I did use new cooper washer that came with the calipers, which are the power stop calipers on rockauto. Anyway when I was bleeding the driver side front, a piece of black rubber got stuck in the nylon hose from the line, I took it out and it looked like rubber !

The rubber part under the master cap was also shriveled and out of shape a lot of times which I never really noticed

I know this is a lot, but anyone got any suggestions? The method I used was the one person method and could anyone clarify if I take the cap all the way off or recap the master cylinder when bleeding? I started from rear passenger, then rear driver, passenger and then driver side

Old 10-14-2015, 10:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

you bled them in the correct sequence, my question is did you bleed them enough to get all the air out and it was a steady stream of fluid with no air at all? you kept the master cylinder full the whole time and it never got low enough to suck in air did it? not sure what the one person method is as i always use two people to bleed brakes. after you bled them you did pump up the brakes until the pedal got stiff before seeing if they worked correct? or will they not pump up and hold pressure at all? no brake lines are rusted and leaking are they?

Old 10-14-2015, 12:33 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

When I did it the last time it didn't seem like a lot of fluid wanted to come out, I would gravity bleed and a bit of it would squeeze out and then pump the brakes a little and it would move just a tiny bit. The master cylinder never went dry but it's like the fluid didn't wanna flow out of the brake lines at all. When I push on the brake I can hear like a piping noise kinda like air, but it didn't flow out like a stream so I thought that was odd