Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Lowering the Monte

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by MonteLSV6
Do you know of any Lowering Spring and Strut kits? Like the lowering springs with the struts? I can't seem to find any.
https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_...1149&catid=138

Old 03-24-2010, 01:27 PM

http://www.andysautosport.com/chevro...ering_springs/

there are two brands there. I went with sprint performance springs and im happy with em.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by mak330
ive heard easy about 5 times in this thread.

i say different. you can rent the spring compressor from autozone for free. i think you give them your id.

its not as "easy" as these guys put it. replacing struts is easy, not the springs. cause when you take those spring compressors off the oem springs and then put the on the lowering springs, they never fit on there right.

a few tips.

take your time. put the car as high as you can take it on stands. put a jack under your bearing. buy a gearwrench for the size that you need for the bolts in the trunk. when replacing the struts always get new mounts, and a front end alignment.

things that make intsall easier

new bellows, insulators, dont think its cool to unscrew the new strut off the car. lol i know everyones done that.

GL idk how it would ride, but if its your fist time, i would do a pair on saturday, then the other on sunday. unless you start at 4 am and have a helper.

it took me 4 hours for my first wheel, then about a half hour for the others.

its a lot of guess work, but all worth the end result.

its true what they say struts are the best thing you will replace on your ride.
They are a challenge to do if you've never done a strut replacement before.
After you've done several hundred they become mundane. the "clamshell" style compressor won't give you a hard time with fitment to the new spring, it uses just one screw to turn for the whole compressor instead of 2 or 3 separate hook style compressors which tend to slide around on the spring once under tension.
Absolutely replace the bellows, insulators and top plate & bearing like MAK said, (you'll be kicking yourself later if you don't)
get the anti-pogo washers for the top if you install lowering springs or they'll make noise on the rebound stroke of the strut
Take your time and be careful and you'll really enjoy the fruits of your labor

Aaron

Last edited by montes my python; 03-25-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Damn, that seems like alot of work just for lowering your car. I'd thought it'd be a simple as unbolting them and replace with the new lowering springs and strut. (besides the obvious disassembly) Do you really have to align them afterwards?.

Silverbullitt and Goth kid, thanks for the links!

Gothkid, do you have the stock struts on?

Old 03-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

You should always get an alignment after you lower a vehicle. You never know what's going to get throw off by the new setup.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- October 2010

I know this is a little late but Im in the process of lowering my 2000, I went with the ssc lowering springs, kyb-gr2 shocks, all new strut plates, new rear trailing arms, new zzp F+R sway bars.... and dont forget about the anti pogo washers and shorter dogbones! There a must! I have not been able to drive the car since I have started, but im sure it will be worth it over stock any day!

Old 03-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Photobucket

Originally Posted by thumpingetocar06
I know this is a little late but Im in the process of lowering my 2000, I went with the ssc lowering springs, kyb-gr2 shocks, all new strut plates, new rear trailing arms, new zzp F+R sway bars.... and dont forget about the anti pogo washers and shorter dogbones! There a must! I have not been able to drive the car since I have started, but im sure it will be worth it over stock any day!
So how much did all this run you?

Old 03-26-2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by MonteLSV6
Damn, that seems like alot of work just for lowering your car. I'd thought it'd be a simple as unbolting them and replace with the new lowering springs and strut. (besides the obvious disassembly) Do you really have to align them afterwards?.
Just having to do springs isn't too bad for lowering. For the S10 I had to replace the spindles on the fronts which was a ton more work. I was pleasantly surprised to read the lowering the monte only required springs. Maybe I'll get around to it.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

my guess would be around $700

Old 03-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Photobucket

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
my guess would be around $700
That's just way too much cash. It shouldn't take so much. Shocks/struts and springs, get an alignment and you should be done.

Quick Reply: Lowering the Monte