Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Lowering the Monte

Old 03-23-2010, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Lowering the Monte

So, I'm thinking of lowering the monte to, but i have no where to start except here. I know lowering the monte doesnt have any "performance" gains, but more of a handling and an aesthetic upgrade, or downgrade (haha get it, since your lowering it) sorry for the bad joke lol. Anyways, how hard is it to install a set? Is it hard to do by yourself?

I saw these Eibach springs and figured these could probably be good. But I dont know, thats why i've come here .

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/ch...140723383.html

They lower 1.3" in the front and 1" in the rear.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

In order to lower the car, you are correct you will need lowering springs. They are lower than the stock springs, but are more stiff, so the car doesn't bounce as much when lower and scrape the bottom.

Now you have to think... are my stock struts going to be strong enough to handle a stronger spring that is resisting the bounce?

You may want new struts too... that's great, you just jack up the car and unbolt the struts and replace... but how do you get the springs on? You will need to have a spring compressor and be very careful...

Or you can find yourself a kit that already has the lowering springs attached to the struts, this way it's a complete bolt on and off job.

Lots of variables to lower the car. Just do some research on these points and you should find out what you want for the car.

KYB GR2 are a great stock replacement struts... and the KYB AGX are a good adjustable strut

Old 03-23-2010, 03:47 PM

Man, you know everything chibi lol. But for those adjustable struts, are they the same as coilovers?

Old 03-23-2010, 03:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

They are not the same, just strictly a strut that you can adjust the firmness, there are 4 settings... 1/2/3/4 think 1 being softest and 4 being the hardest, and the stock firmness would be a 2, so you would have 2 more levels of firm.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:59 PM

haha oh man, that made me chuckle. lol anyways, do you think the stock struts would handle it? And can you mix and match springs and struts?

Old 03-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

i'm still on stock struts, but it's prob good idea you replace them at the same time when you lower it. the ride will be much better. i have about 48k on the body/suspension right now.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:19 PM

Do you know of any Lowering Spring and Strut kits? Like the lowering springs with the struts? I can't seem to find any.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:00 PM

I think ZZP might have a strut/spring assembly for sale, not sure
I put KYB AGX's and the Eibach lowering springs on my '04 and am very happy with the ride and handling improvement
When I installed them I also put in new upper and lower insulators, upper mount plates and top bearings. I assembled the complete units before I was ready to install them and the just bolted them in and didn't have to take any old parts off the original struts.
you will also need anti-pogo washers for the top (also at ZZP) and "camber kits" so it can be properly aligned when done
As Chibi said you will need a spring compressor, I recommend a "clamshell" type ( http://www.amazon.com/McPherson-MacP...2&sr=8-4-spell) for use at home (easiest to use), they are not too expensive and may be available for rent at your local rent-all place. be very careful when installing the springs, they have to sit in the detents on the strut and top plate properly and are under a lot of pressure when compressed. check out my album to see the difference in height after installation

Aaron

Old 03-23-2010, 09:35 PM

thanks for posting this man! i was just going to post a thread about lowering my monte and i was going to see what to do... WHAT A COINCIDANCE... i guess monte carlo enthusiasts think alike?

Old 03-23-2010, 10:15 PM

ive heard easy about 5 times in this thread.

i say different. you can rent the spring compressor from autozone for free. i think you give them your id.

its not as "easy" as these guys put it. replacing struts is easy, not the springs. cause when you take those spring compressors off the oem springs and then put the on the lowering springs, they never fit on there right.

a few tips.

take your time. put the car as high as you can take it on stands. put a jack under your bearing. buy a gearwrench for the size that you need for the bolts in the trunk. when replacing the struts always get new mounts, and a front end alignment.

things that make intsall easier

new bellows, insulators, dont think its cool to unscrew the new strut off the car. lol i know everyones done that.

GL idk how it would ride, but if its your fist time, i would do a pair on saturday, then the other on sunday. unless you start at 4 am and have a helper.

it took me 4 hours for my first wheel, then about a half hour for the others.

its a lot of guess work, but all worth the end result.

its true what they say struts are the best thing you will replace on your ride.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowering the Monte