Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Low tire pressure wont reset

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012 | 10:24 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
10 Year Member
Default Low tire pressure wont reset

I just got a 02 monte ss yesterday. and it has a low tire pressure light on in the dash. ive read almost all of the threads related to this warning. and how to reset it. but mine wont reset. ive tried the headlight **** way to reset, and get nothing. then try to get to it through the stereo, but it doesnt even have the tire pressure option in it. so i honestly dont know what to do...yes i checked the tire pressures and they are all the same. i just hate seeing warning lights. and would love for this light to turn off. any input or suggestions would be appreciated. thanks in advance

Old 03-12-2012 | 12:19 AM

it should be in the radio i have 00 and thats where its at....tire mon is what it should say i think.. disconnect batterey for a few ...if not someone else might have an idea

Old 03-12-2012 | 07:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Resetting the low tire pressure monitor should be an option through your radio. Try following these steps:

Turn the key to the ACC or ON position, but don't start the vehicle.
Make sure the radio is OFF.
PRESS and HOLD the TUNE DISP button until SETTINGS is displayed.
PRESS the SEEK or PSCAN button to scroll through the menu until TIRE MON is displayed.
PRESS the 1 PREV or 2 NEXT button and RESET should be displayed.
PRESS the TUNE DISP button. A chime should be heard and the word DONE should display for 1 second.
PRESS the SEEK or PSCAN button to scroll through the menu until EXIT is displayed.
PRESS TUNE DISP button to exit programming mode.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-12-2012 | 01:43 PM
10 Year Member

like i said i dont have that option in my stereo. ive searche like 10 seperate times and nothing close to tire mon pops up. i get oil reset, and key fob options along with the lights, chirp and horn options

Old 03-12-2012 | 02:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Sorry, I didn't know what the instructions you followed contained so thought I'd post the correct procedure in hopes it would help. It's odd that the option wouldn't be included in the programming. And the parking lights being turned on/off 3 times didn't work either? And the key was in the on position when you tried it? Strange...Good luck, hope you get it figured out.

Old 03-12-2012 | 02:03 PM
10 Year Member

yes key was in on position. car not running. i seen 2 different ways for the light reset...1 way was pull the **** out half way 3 times and start car. which didnt work. then another way was pull **** out half way 2 times, then all the way out for the 3rd time. which also did not work

Old 03-12-2012 | 02:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
15 Year Member

I would try disconnecting the battery to see if that works, and the next time you take it to GM ask them why you wouldn't have the option in the radio.

It's so odd that you don't have that option to me

Old 03-12-2012 | 02:17 PM
10 Year Member

i dont know if this may be a problem or not. and i dont know much about the tpms in these cars....but do these cars have the valve stem sensors ( a crude way to explain it) i noticed 3 of my wheels have the same length valve stems, and then i have one stem that is alot longer than the rest. like i said i dont know if our cars have that type of monitoring or not. but if it did i would guess that the one valve stem that is longer than the rest may be the culprit of my problems?

Old 03-12-2012 | 02:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
15 Year Member

No, the way that the TPMS works on these cars is with your wheel hub assemblies. There are speed sensors in each one and it measures the rotations, if one rotates at a steadily different speed than the others, there is the assumption that one of the tires pressures are different.

In 2006/2007 they switched to the style in the valve stem, and that is why they can tell you WHICH tire is low (if you calibrate every tire rotation)

Old 03-12-2012 | 02:24 PM
10 Year Member

what are the chances that one of my hubs are bad? or if a hub was bad would that trigger a abs light (which i dont have a abs light on)

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Low tire pressure wont reset