Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Hub Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Default Hub Bearing

Alright One of my hub bearings is taking a crap slowly, has a intermittent hum that gets louder faster i drive.

Jacked car up each side and checked for slop but both sides were the same, Neither was worse over the other.

What other way can i check to be sure im changign the right one. I already bought the bearing as im doing the rear brakes, so figured id to the bearing too.

Does seem though that when i turn right around curves, noise is still there, and when turning Left its less noticable. So im guessing meaning the right side is bad. Just hate to change it and not be it and have to go buy another one lol

Also at the parts store they had the hub bearing 2 different ones. Both same price but one was heavy breaking and other was Light braking. The heavy one had a LONG cable for ABS wheres light one had the short one. Whats the difference between them as the heavy braking one looked a lot heavier duty.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:43 PM

Im guessing the heavy duty braking bearing is to do with over sized rotors and such.

Everything on my 05 Monte is stock

Old 06-04-2012, 09:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I believe the diagnostic is if make a right turn you hear the noise, it's the right front bearing... But I always have to google this because I have a tendency to mix it up. But you are on the right track. Since you noticed the sound shows up while making a right hand turn, that is the KEY to figuring which bearing.
According to this, I have the formula backwards:
How to Locate Wheel Bearing Noise | eHow.com

I've done a lot of bearings on modern GM vehicles. I HIGHLY recommend having an air hammer, you'll thank me later (otherwise, if you don't have the "puller" the shop book calls for OR the air hammer I recommend and you intend to beat the crap out of it, it takes an easy 1hr, 2hr tops job to an all day project).

I can normally do a W-body wheel bearing in 1hr (almost to the second) and that included dragging out tools and putting them away.

I know you bought the bearing, but if it means anything, I recommend Timkin bearings.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Honestly you should do both sides at once. But if you are turning right it is probably the left one. Do you have any ABS/Trac Off lights?

If you do, they have the code telling you which hub.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:27 AM

No lights are on at all, just has a slight hum when driving indicating its starting to take a crap.

I watched a video on how to take it off on the 02 Impala and there was no need for beating the crap out of it at all since its not a pressed on Hub assembly.

Im taking it to the shop as i need to get some muffler work done, and ill have them check it on the hoist so i know.

This video will be the same as my Monte. No need for any air hammer tools

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yE9fBGdAKQ

Last edited by Carlo8686; 06-05-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:35 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do you drive in the winter at all?

I had a huge huge hammer, penetrating fluid, and about 30 minutes of beating the hub before it separated from the knuckle.

If you think it will just fall off when you remove the bolts... you could be in for a rude awakening.

Or you could have zero salt/rust issues and it comes right off... who knows! Just be prepared for it either way haha

Old 06-05-2012, 11:10 AM

Like Chibi said, the process is simple, but if you have any corrosion be prepared for a fight.

I did both my fronts, and they were pretty well fused to the knuckle, a 3 jaw puller was pointless, just had to rack the hub with a hammer enough times to break it loose all the way around.

If you replace the hubs, or they check out ok it might end up being the tires. A few months after my hub replacement the noise was back, but louder and fairly quick to appear, I must have hit something that chewed up the inner edge of the right front tire, as replacing them solved the problem.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

OK< I have to watch this video from home to see if I missed something, but I skimmed it at work. This guy just "wiggled" the hub assembly out. Absolutely NO way it comes out that easy. These hubs are "pressed" into the steering knuckle. They are pressed by being pulled in tight as you tighten the bolts. Even a freshly installed hub will not "wiggle" out like that.

Now I'm curious, I'll watch this video at home just to hear the guys approach, as I'm probably missing something in skimming the video.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:35 PM

Well when i took car in to get the exhaust hangers replaced, they listended to both hubs and said there was minimal noise from them but not bad.

The front right tire has what looks like dry rot happening on the inside.

When i drive now going around left hand curves, the humming sound is gone. So which side would that indicate needs replacing. Left turn= No hum Straight or Right hum there.

The guys also told me my 05 MC LS has no front ABS as theres no plugs for the wire. But my fuse box has a ASB/PCM 10am fuse. I followed the brake lines but couldnt find the ABS controller box.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:46 PM

Think i figured it out,

Turning Left theres no sound indicating the Right Side Bearing is good. But turning right its making the noise indicating the left bearing is bad.

Edit- I also did a Decode on the VIN and says this model MC has either NO ABS or 4 Way ABS. Since i didnt see any plug in front, i dont have ABS.

Last edited by Carlo8686; 06-05-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Hub Bearing