Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

hey

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 11:05 PM
Default hey

Im a newb here
but here's my delema

I have a 2001 Monte LS

Im making it a street and track lethal car

Here are the plans
custom roller cams
custom side exhaust (working on that)
custom short intake (next in line)
new brakes
new headers
custom removable roll cage
new rims with racing tires
new shocks and springs
new swaybars
custom body supports
lighten the car

BUT
Im having trouble finding coilovers
it doesnt have to be a coilover kit itself
it can be mixed and matched springs and shocks
Im trying to get adjustable air shocks

Somebody double check me with this next thing
the eibach lowering springs, they are much stiffer correct?

Somebody let me know if they have a solution for me
I especially dont want to do shortcuts if im putting this car on the track

contact me
thanks

-montecarloRacer

Old 09-08-2007, 01:24 AM
Default RE: hey

Hey, welcome to MCF!

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but without any type of forced induction, whether it be a turbo, CSC, etc, even with all of those things you plan on doing, you wont reach more than around 250 horsepower. So your next option is to do a total engine swap to an L67, but even then, your transmission is an 01 LS wont hold up to the abuse.

As far as suspension is concerned, I have heard wonderful things about the Eibach lowering springs, but if you are going that far, you may as well buy some KYB adjustable struts.

Just my $0.02

We ALL look forward to helping you out turning your Monte into a much faster machine.

-Keegan

Old 09-08-2007, 07:04 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

hey, welcome to the site, i agree with the above, you need to either turbo your 3.4 or change to the 3.8 supercharged to get the most gain your possibly going to get

Old 09-08-2007, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the advice.....

I plan later on to get a custom centrifugal supercharger, but right now, im on a budget, so I have to watch what I get

But it is in the plans

Explosive,

If I get a new tranny, I should get one from a Monte SS Supercharged right?

or isnt there a difference between the regular SS and the Supercharged tranny's?

Old 09-08-2007, 11:36 AM

I am by no means an expert on the trannies, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

However, It is to my understanding, that the Supercharged Transmissions are different from the standard SS, as the standard SS is only producing 200 HP stock, and the supercharged applications are producing 240 hp with 280 ft/lbs of torque, so they need to be able to stand up to alot more abuse. If you are looking online, the proper noun/nomenclature for the tranny you really want is a 4t65e-HD. That is what is in the Supercharged Applications, such as mine, Dan's (04Intimidator) and Josh's (WizKidd), along with a few other lucky people here to have the Supercharged application....

And if you eventually happen to fall into some money, you would probably be best to just go buy a brand new HD and hardened, completely rebuilt tranny from ZZPerformance, and just eat the core charge. Not only from here, but other reviews I have read tell of bad runs with Intense-Racing's trannys, so stay away from Intense.

If, you are like most of us, and money is tight, check ebay for a 4t65e-hd tranny. I am SURE you could buy one online, or check your local salvage yard for a totaled monte, or GTP.

Hope that kind helps?

If anyone here thinks I made a mistake, please correct me.

-Keegan

Old 09-08-2007, 11:43 AM

thanks explosive

I would have no clue where to start with that

so thanks a bunch

I'll start looking around for some tranny's

You guys have gotten me out of a bind

Old 09-08-2007, 11:45 AM

not to be anti montecarlo, but if ya want a car similar to a monte, but goes faster, and you dont have much money... trading into a 97-2000 GTP might be the way to go. i dont understand why gm waited till 04 to offer a supercharged monte carlo. another option i eyeballed a few weeks ago was a wrecked, but running 2000 gtp on ebay that went for about $1000, that should drop in, and if it ran it would have everything to convert over, but it would be quite a bit of work.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:55 AM

Well, if we are going with alternate vehicle options.....

What are your opinions on camaro's?

I was just thiinking of this, I could keep my Monte and get something like that, or like you said, maybe a beat up GTP to fix up and then make them track lethal

What are your opinions everyone?

Old 09-08-2007, 11:55 AM

Well, unfortunately, the tranny that you have, I really do not know what it is rated at, the HD's stock are rated at AROUND 300, depending on wear and tear. If I were you, I might wait to dump the money away into a tranny, as that is what I am doing, until I get to the point of actually NEEDING one before it explodes

Any other questions, feel free to post, this is an EXTREMELY helpful forum, and the folks are friendly.

Take Care

-Keegan

Old 09-08-2007, 12:02 PM

Well, as far as performance is concerned, anyone will agree that, stock, a V8 will usually outperform a stock V6. And honestly, I am a big believer in ANY car can become a performance car, and still be an extremely enjoyable ride. I am not telling you what to do, but honestly, if you bought the monte carlo because you enjoy the look of the vehicle, and the way it drives, then stay with it. Why dump money into ANOTHER car if you already have one that you enjoy? Anything else you do to the car you like is just a bonus. And you can find trannies and engine combos for less than 3000. granted, they will be used, but if you really want a much nicer ride, with more options for upgrading, go 3800.

-Keegan

Quick Reply: hey