Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Good tires? 2005

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Default Good tires? 2005

I'm in need of tires for my 2005 Monte Carlo. I'm more than a little hard on my car. (It doesn't help that the ABS brake pulse modulator is out, turning off the traction control. Too expensive to fix.) The original tires barely lasted 12k miles, and the Goodyear Comfortreads on my car now only lasted about 35k. I don't drive very long distances, either, and only put about 8-9k miles on it per year. I'm hoping to find some tires with good dry traction (there's not much rain in Denver) that will last longer than the ones I've tried so far. It could be that my driving style makes the Comfortreads the best bet.

I'd prefer to keep it below $120/tire, or $140 if they're Goodyear. (My dad is retired from Goodyear after 40 years of service and gets coupons for $20 off per tire every year.)

Any recommendations? (...besides keeping my foot off the accelerator)

Old 06-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by dgingeri
I'm in need of tires for my 2005 Monte Carlo.
I'd prefer to keep it below $120/tire, or $140 if they're Goodyear. (My dad is retired from Goodyear after 40 years of service and gets coupons for $20 off per tire every year.)
What size are you looking for ?
Best of Luck finding nice tires under $120/tire ..

Old 06-13-2013, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by zjerry
What size are you looking for ?
Best of Luck finding nice tires under $120/tire ..
I got my last set of Comfortreads for $102 per tire before my dad's coupons. Have prices gone up that much in the last 4 years?

Old 06-13-2013, 07:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My daughter has these on her Malibu and absolutely loves them. They appear to be wearing very well to me. She has about 15,000 on them and she has a ways to go before getting to the wear bar.

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus Carlo SS&autoModClar=

Old 06-13-2013, 07:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Im assumeing:
You dont regularly rotate your tires every 3000 miles? Check tire pressures or keep them properly balanced?

These are 3 things that definately increase tire mileage!

You might wanna consider doing all these things when you do get your new tires...regardless of brand or price!

Old 06-13-2013, 11:14 AM

@ Ginger- Unfortunately, yes tires prices have gone up quite a bit over the last few years. This article, although two years old, gives great reasons as to why.

Tire Review - The Price Crisis: A Special Report

The prices go up even more if youve got a unique tire size that shops may not carry regularly. The increase in prices have driven many shops to price match other shops and online sites to bring in more customers. One place I know that does this rather fiercely is Sears Auto Center (I know this because I worked there). However, with Price Matching and other sales tactics, coupons and rebates usually go out the door. So...in my opinion, your greatest satisfaction can be found by ante'ing up on a nice set of more expensive tires (youre on the right track with Goodyear) ones that have a good warranty (60k mi and up), as well as purchasing new tire insurance packages so you wont have to throw another 140-160 dollars at a tire if one gets irreparably damaged. Also, as mentioned above, keep up on the rotations, correct psi's, and alignments and your tires will last you quite a long time.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:20 PM

Well, I went to Tirerack.com, where I got the pricing on the last set back in '09, and they're still only $105 each. they've gone up a little, but not that bad.

I have been having them rotated, but not as often as 3000 miles. I don't even get my oil changed that often. (After 3000 miles, the oil still looks near new. I usually go to about 4000-4500 miles.) I do keep the air pressure up. Every time I get gas, I take my pressure gauge and make sure they're good. I've only twice had to add air in the last 4 years. The current tires have been very good at that. My alignment has always been good. No signs of uneven wear on any of the tires.

The big problem is that I'm more than a little heavy footed off the line, and frequently squeal the tires on take off or right turns. It's all my fault. I know it. While this thing is longer, wider, and heavier than my old '93 Z24, (another awesome car) it has as much get up and go and nearly as good on corners. I like this car a lot, probably too much.

Those Turanza Serenity Plus tires look nice. Reduced noise on the highway would be nice. the Comfortreads tend to get loud above 50Mph, and I have to turn my radio up to 18-20 (out of 50) to hear it. They're only $112 on Tirerack.com, too. I know a Discount Tire around here that will price match with Tirerack.com, if they carry the tire. I'll check out if they have these.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

you need to pick what you want first, you either want a softer rubber good traction tire that hooks and grips and dont last as long or you want a harder rubber less traction tire that dont hook and grip as well but will last longer.....

i have nitto555's on turbo monte but there a soft sticky tire for good traction and ill be lucky to get 5000-6000 miles out of them. sumitomo makes a good tire that still hooks well (not as well as the nitto's) and last a bit longer. but both of these are more of a performance tire. as far as a tire that will last a long time im the wrong guy to ask lol. i would rather have good traction to launch the car and grip in corners and buy more tires than sacrifice performance to save a few bucks.

even my daily driver 2013 focus st has goodyear eagle f1's on it

Old 06-13-2013, 07:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by dgingeri
I got my last set of Comfortreads for $102 per tire before my dad's coupons. Have prices gone up that much in the last 4 years?
Last tires I bought for my wife's 2005 Impala SS
Pirelli Scorpion 235/55R17 Set of 4: $812.20

Old 06-13-2013, 09:06 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I had Falken Ziex ZE-612 on my 05 SS and I really liked how they performed. I also ran them through one winter and they handled well. I'm not sure of the tread life because I sold it after 8 months.

Quick Reply: Good tires? 2005