Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Gen 1.5 --> 2.0 Wbody front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:00 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Gen 1.5 --> 2.0 Wbody front suspension

Anybody know what has to be done to convert from gen 1.5 wbody (95-99 monte) to gen 2 wbody front suspension?

I'd like to make the switch before I do front coilovers so I can be able to adjust camber easier with the 2nd gen setup. Also, I really want to do a bigger brake up front something like this:

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/...nes-p-228.html

Any information would be appreciated

Old 02-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Default RE: Gen 1.5 --> 2.0 Wbody front suspension

depends if your keeping the stock lower control arms.If you change the lower control arm you would need a diff type of sway bar...as the2.nd gen W body have a diff design completely. if you are going to change the control arms... i would suggest to get a 00+ monte/impala engine cradle, cause this is an all AL piecevsour steel one. then you wont have to weld on the mounts for the new lower control arms. if using the new cradel you couldget away i think with runing the newer sway bar... the upper part of the newer struts should fit the body.

but need:
-struts
-springs
-knuckel
-wheel hub
-caliper, brakes, rotors
*not sure if the ABS speed sensors are compatable

Old 02-12-2008, 03:45 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Gen 1.5 --> 2.0 Wbody front suspension

Would there be any advantage to changing out the control arms or sway bar? I've got the Z34 front sway already (although I suppose it would be nice to have access to the better 2nd gen sway bars- but I hear so many problems with end links breaking).

Would a 2nd gen wbody ball joint fit into the 1.5 gen hole?

I imagine this couldn't be that expensive to pull off- I'm sure Ed Morad has tons of knuckles/hubs laying around (I don't see there being any demand for those)- I would be going with full coilovers for the rest w/ the adjustable AGX struts- then I could just do my brake upgrade with the swap so I wouldn't have to bother with 2nd gen brakes at all.

I'm not real worried about ABS either. For some reason, my ABS died in the swap (I haven't had a chance to get the code pulled for it). Plus, with my rear disk swap- my old wheel speed sensors won't stay in the holes- the plug is too loose- and the latch doesn't engage very well. I've been thinking about just deleting the ABS module completely and doing a proportioning valve like that guy with the red monte did. Its not like it ever gets driven in the rain/snow anyways.