Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

first gen. rebuilt front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
Default first gen. rebuilt front suspension

Hi guys! I have a question about my 71 monte carlo. I just rebuilt my front suspension and now when I lift the car up with a floor jack it makes a clicking sound. sounds like it is coming from the control arms. I have loosen the bolts and moved it up and down, but still makes clicking sound. Now its mainly when I use the floor jack in raising car up. the only thing I didn't replace is the the tie rods, but sounds are coming from around the springs and control arms. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:32 PM

rebuilt with factory style rubber peices or polyurethane? If poly, did the controlarm bushings get the included lube applied?

Old 10-29-2013, 06:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by zapp59
Hi guys! I have a question about my 71 monte carlo. I just rebuilt my front suspension and now when I lift the car up with a floor jack it makes a clicking sound. sounds like it is coming from the control arms. I have loosen the bolts and moved it up and down, but still makes clicking sound. Now its mainly when I use the floor jack in raising car up. the only thing I didn't replace is the the tie rods, but sounds are coming from around the springs and control arms. Any help will be appreciated.
When you mean rebuild...

What all exactly did you replace?

Old 12-25-2013, 09:32 AM

Silly question, I have seen it before, are the shocks tightened down properly, the threads could be dragging across the upper mount when you lift it up.
Seth