Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Emergency Brake Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Emergency Brake Shoes

I was pulling my rear rotors off tonight and the emergency brake shoe slipped off of its track. How do I put that back on? And no, the e-brake was not set when I pulled it off.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by farmerjg
I was pulling my rear rotors off tonight and the emergency brake shoe slipped off of its track. How do I put that back on? And no, the e-brake was not set when I pulled it off.
I've found the procedures for adjusting the parking brake, but I'm hoping I don't have to do that. I don't have the gauge I would evidently need and I'm hoping it's easier/less time intensive than having to take apart the whole system.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:38 PM

The first time I pulled my rear rotors off I saw the brake shoes and said "wtf!?". It's a little strange for me to have some baby drum brakes as your e-brake.

As far as I know, those shoe are held in place by some pretty strong springs. It took some effort to center them after I had my rotors turned. They might be self centering since I didn't mess with them and they work fine. Sorry I'm no help.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member

Jimbo, when you put your rotors back on did the parking brake shoe rub a little bit and then it aligned itself? I got my shoe back on the actuator, but now my parking brake won't work. I suspect I have to adjust it.

Originally Posted by jimbo7
The first time I pulled my rear rotors off I saw the brake shoes and said "wtf!?". It's a little strange for me to have some baby drum brakes as your e-brake.

As far as I know, those shoe are held in place by some pretty strong springs. It took some effort to center them after I had my rotors turned. They might be self centering since I didn't mess with them and they work fine. Sorry I'm no help.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:01 PM
Default Parking brake

The parking brake shoes are just like regular brake drum style shoes the return springs keep it all together and there is an adjuster. The proper way to adjust it is turn up the adjuster til it drags almost enough that it's hard to turn by hand and then back the adjuster off 3 teeth on the wheel. The parking brake pedal will go down about 1/3 of the way and get tight. Keep in mind it's only a parking brake and shouldn't be used to ever stop the car or be used while still moving. It isn't meant for that and it will break sometimes leading to a possible locked or frozen rear wheel. It's proper working condition is to keep the stationary parked vehicle from rolling when on a 20% grade hill. Or set the brake and slip it into drive or reverse and hold it still in gear with light throttle.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:09 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had my rear hub replaced and now my e-brake goes to the floor, but it still holds Ok. I have to get under there and adjust it one of these days and those e-brake shoes aren't cheap if you need to replace them!