Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

- Dangers of Dubs 20 inch + Poll : )

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default - Dangers of Dubs 20 inch + Poll : )

[align=center]The Danger of Dubs [/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]What's a Dub ?
[/align]
[align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]More Info [/align][align=center][/align][ul][*][align=center]More Features [/align][*][align=center]More Tires Features [/align][/ul][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center] [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]

Photos
Slideshow

(Enlarge photo) [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Giant rims stretching over 20+-inches in diameter are a status symbol, especially on high-dollar rides like the Bentley Continental GT and Porsche Cayenne shown here. (Photo by Dan Kahn) [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
(Enlarge photo)[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Ferrari engineers determine the optimal wheel and tire size when designing a car's suspension, and changing the overall diameter can hurt performance. (Photo by Dan Kahn) [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
(Enlarge photo)[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]The aftermarket wheels and tires on this Cayenne are much heavier than the stock setup. All that extra weight can prevent the ABS and stability control systems from working properly and hurts the vehicle's overall handling. (Photo by Dan Kahn) [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
(Enlarge photo)[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Choosing new wheels involves a lot more than simply picking out the flashiest rim on the rack. Issues like weight, diameter, load rating and offset need to be considered. Work with an established wheel distributor to prevent expensive and potentially dangerous problems down the road. (Photo by Dan Kahn) [/align][align=center][/align][align=center][b]Dubs. Blades. Twenties. Rims. Unless you've been hiding under a rock for the past five years, you already know those weird words are nicknames for gigantic wheels. What started as an oddity at the occasional car show has evolved into a booming business, and everyone from tire retailers to car manufacturers have jumped on the bandwagon. Big wheels grab lots of atten

Old 11-19-2007, 06:15 AM
Default RE: - The Dangers of Dubs -

Pimp Your Ride? Drain Your Checkbook ~ $$$pace
[center][:-]
Tags: business, concept cars, customization, SEMA
[/align][/align]Nice iPod. Where’s the air bag? (Gabriel Buoys/Agence France-Presse—Getty Images) More Photos[/align]LAS VEGAS — Mounting an iPod in the center of your steering wheel may seem like a convenient place to put it. But in the event of a hard frontal impact, one of two things is likely to happen: 1. Your air bag might not work anymore; 2. Your air bag will go ahead and deploy, but the front of your skull will thereafter have an iPod embedded in it, instead of a face. In either scenario, the outcome would not be pretty.
The steering-wheel-mounted iPod was but one of many new ideas, however hare-brained, shown at the 2007 Specialty Equipment Market Association trade show here in Sin City. With 2,200 new products on display, there are bound to be some head-scratchers mixed in with the lightbulb-lighters.
Personal favorites seen at this year’s SEMA show dealt mostly with creative, and quite possibly illegal, video mounting locations: a video screen that fits inside one’s license plate frame; a normal-appearing rearview mirror with a video screen hidden inside; and special wheels capable of projecting a video image on a gyro-leveled screen in their centers. YouTube for the gridlocked?
Each year, it seems custom wheels get bigger. Last year, a 30-inch wheel set the new standard; this year, 30-inchers were so prevalent as to almost seem passe. Important development: There are now 30-inch tires to put on them. Not so with this year’s bigger-must-be-better wheel champ: a 42-incher, displayed sans pneu (because street tires that big don’t exist) at the Lexani wheel booth. It was quickly dubbed the Double Dub.
“I wouldn’t want to drive on anything over 20 (inches), or 18 really,†said Rob Einaudi, webmaster at the enthusiast site CarDomain.com. The most-viewed video on Mr. Einaudi’s website right now is some guy doing burnouts in his donk, with 30-inch wheels. (Technically, it’s not a donk, but a “box,†but that’s another story.) Another donk owner/reader commented that when he tried burnouts, his engine blew because the wheels were too big and heavy. Final insult: The engine blew with such force, it ripped the transmission from its mounts; it fell out, dropping three feet to the ground. But I digress.
One of my favorite customized new cars at SEMA was at the outrageous DUB Wheels display, where there was a Mini convertible that had all the seats removed, save the driver’s seat (which was relocated to a central position). It was surrounded by at least seven LCD screens, a variety of other video displays, digital readouts and gauges, and an eardrum-puncturing surround-sound system featuring speakers the size of 55-gallon oil drums.
[b]Certainly, vehicles like the Mini were just meant to entertain, mere flights of fancy. But if you wanted to drive one home, you could — because they are technically street-legal. Call me old-fashioned, but oughtn’t there be tougher laws to prevent driver distraction? Shouldn’t it be illegal, for instance, to apply eye makeup while driving? At least on an Interstate? No?

Old 11-19-2007, 08:04 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Referring to the pic in your second post... I don't know if I'd want an ipod where the horn is supposed to be. I'd put my fist through it trying to find the horn.

Giant rims are nothing new to cars. Henry Ford was putting on wheels that were somewhere around 30" or so, a hundred years ago.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:56 AM

hafta agree with ya taz d00d the ipod steering wheel is careless at best

and as far as wheels go 17 will be my limit i see no point in paying more for a set of tires then the cars worth

Old 11-23-2007, 09:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I like my 18's, but the 17's are heavier and sturdier wheels, with less balance issues. 18's handle better. I want 20's, lightweight. Tire diameter and width is a real issue to me. I research the tire weight when determining which tire to buy, also.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:42 AM

Hi Wayne, your Monte Carlo SS Intimidator would look
Super-Super Awesome with 20's [:-]
What brands are your look'in at ?
Post them, and maybe one of talented member's can photoShop them on your Monte ? See how it looks B-4 you buy them : )
Good Luck, `Space

Old 11-24-2007, 06:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not sure about the brand of 20's, but thinking about something in black. Or chrome. 16 spoke, like the Voxx Misano: http://www.discounttire.com/product/...is.c.large.jpg
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/int...amp;vid=008581

Actually, we test drove 2 Pontiac Solstice GXPs today. They come with 18's, but I think 20's would be awesome on it also. Can only find 19's. New toy for the wife. Brazen orange. Maybe
Like this but orange?
http://i1.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/b1/78/7235_1.JPG

Old 11-25-2007, 04:37 AM
Default RE: - Dangers of Dubs 20 inch +-

[align=center]MCF Member's Wish List[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
Alba ~ American Racing ~ Cruiser Alloy ~ Devino ~ Diamo ~ Drifz ~ Driv ~ Dropstars ~ Dub ~ Enkei ~ Foose
~ Gear Alloy ~ Helo ~ Ice Metal ~ ICW Racing ~ Incubus ~ Jesse James ~ KMC ~ Konig ~ Lorenzo ~ Martin Brothers
~ MB ~ Milanni
~ Miror ~ Motegi ~ Moto Metal ~ Motto ~ Concept Neeper ~ [URL=http://www.tiresdelivered.com/Niche_Wheels.php][

Old 11-25-2007, 08:41 AM
Default RE: - Dangers of Dubs 20 inch +-

personally i like big rims i run 20's but like 22's even more,but im not completly into makeing my car into a hot rod like others.i like to drive slow and stunt.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:05 AM
Default RE: - Dangers of Dubs 20 inch + Poll : )

[align=center][/align][align=center]BLOW OUT SPECIALS[/align]

[:-]

Please note that these products may or may NOT fit your vehicle. To determine if a product below is available for your vehicle, click on the product to view the list of available vehicle fits.[/b]

[align=center]

[/align]

Platinum Type 266 (BlacK) & Yokohama P275/55R20 AVID SUV Tires
Our Price: $1999.00[/b]
Sale Price: $1299.00[/b]

20" Tire and Wheel Package

(4) 20x9 Platinum Type 266 (Black)
(4) Yokohama P275/55R20 AVID SUV Tires
Mounted and balance
$1299.00

Free Freight on this package
[/b]

Sale prices subject to Inventory

20" Verde Poison & 255/45R20 Hankook RH07
Our Price: $1789.00[/b]
Sale Price: $1375.00[/b]

20" Chrysler 300C/Dodge Charger

(4) 20x9 Verde Poison Chrome
w/Gold Accents
(4) Hankook 255/45R20 Rh07
Mounted and Balance
$1375

Free Freight on this package
[/b]

Sale prices subject to Inventory

[center]

20" Verde Ethos and Vredetein 245/35R20 Sessanta
Our Price: $1599.00[/b]
Sale Price: $1299.00[/b]
[URL=http://www.perform

Quick Reply: - Dangers of Dubs 20 inch + Poll : )