Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Car Creaks when turning at low speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 11:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Car Creaks when turning at low speeds?

Ok so I just got my car out of the shop, put new tires on it and got a 4 wheel alignment. They said my alignment in the front was so bad, I think they said it was off by 30 or something like that. Well they ended up finding out my engine cradle was off because the guy who rebuilt my tranny didn't put it on back right I guess (idiot). Anyways right after I got it out of the shop, I'd say a day or two the park started creaking when I turn at lower speeds, it sounds like a hardwood floor creaking when your in the basement of an old house, It doesnt make the noise the entire time when turning but it happens on turning both left and right. I will also do it when I brake rather hard at a lower speed too, it sounds like its coming from the steering wheel shaft but it's just hard to tell. I have had that problem that everyone has, that noise from the immediate steering wheel shaft, well this is a different sound I've never heard. The only reason I'm a little worried about it is because I just put new tires on this thing and I dont wanna ruin them if something is seriously worn. I could take it back to the place but you know how those places are, they just try to get you to replace anything that looks old. In the past year I have replaced the ball joint/control arms, and the front wheel bearings/hubs. Any ideas guys? I'm probably going to jack the thing up today and see if it does it when I turn with the wheels up in the air.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member

Here is a video guys, it sounds like the struts

Old 02-10-2013, 06:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I cant say I have ever heard one sound like that....

You mentioned you feel it in the steering wheel...
My educated guess is:
The rack just might be damaged..and it sounds like the gears inside are worn, chipped damaged.
Possibly damaged by being hit (accident) in the past, or hit a curb..1 to many potholes...

To be perfectly honest...Thats my guess.
Maybe someone else will chime in that has a better idea/thought on what it is.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
I cant say I have ever heard one sound like that....

You mentioned you feel it in the steering wheel...
My educated guess is:
The rack just might be damaged..and it sounds like the gears inside are worn, chipped damaged.
Possibly damaged by being hit (accident) in the past, or hit a curb..1 to many potholes...

To be perfectly honest...Thats my guess.
Maybe someone else will chime in that has a better idea/thought on what it is.
I really hope it's not the rack, I really think it's the struts because I turned the wheel by hand and I could hear noise from the strut, plus I have heard that struts tend to Pop when they are going out. I have never hit a curb, cant with those rims lol) and no accidents ever on the car, least the car fax said it didnt have one when I bought it from the original owner in 2009. I'm going to get it looked at this week. It's got 160k on the original struts so it won't hurt to replace anyways.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

It's hard to say what is making that noise. Based on what you did, We know it's NOT a wheel hub.

Off hand, I have never heard of a strut making that noise. But here's what you could do:
- With the wheels on the car, and the car in the air, grab the left and right sides of the tire and wiggle. Check your tie rod ball joints (see if they have some slop or play). Also look at the ball joint boots. Sadly, the original ball joints do NOT have grease fittings. It is possible your creak noise is the result of missing grease on old tie rods and ball joints. If the rubber boots are split, you may want to consider replacing those joints.
- With the car in the air and the wheel off, inspect the coil spring, make sure it's not cracked (I doubt it is, but that's the first easy step).
- If you want to validate if it is the steering rack, remove the tie rods from the steering knuckle. My experience from removing my factory original ones.... They will break (as the retaining nut is NOT a traditional castle, it's a nut with a nylon insert, and I've had to heat and metal that insert out of mine before). Once the tie rods are released, you may want to have two friends assisting to hold the tie rods on the rack in a way that someone can steer the car, but the ends of the tie rods won't get stuck or hit any thing. If it's still creaking and the tie rods are disconnected, it's not struts and leaves you to a steering rack or intermediate shaft (but if this test was performed, I would vote rack from watching that video).

Old 02-11-2013, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
It's hard to say what is making that noise. Based on what you did, We know it's NOT a wheel hub.

Off hand, I have never heard of a strut making that noise. But here's what you could do:
- With the wheels on the car, and the car in the air, grab the left and right sides of the tire and wiggle. Check your tie rod ball joints (see if they have some slop or play). Also look at the ball joint boots. Sadly, the original ball joints do NOT have grease fittings. It is possible your creak noise is the result of missing grease on old tie rods and ball joints. If the rubber boots are split, you may want to consider replacing those joints.
- With the car in the air and the wheel off, inspect the coil spring, make sure it's not cracked (I doubt it is, but that's the first easy step).
- If you want to validate if it is the steering rack, remove the tie rods from the steering knuckle. My experience from removing my factory original ones.... They will break (as the retaining nut is NOT a traditional castle, it's a nut with a nylon insert, and I've had to heat and metal that insert out of mine before). Once the tie rods are released, you may want to have two friends assisting to hold the tie rods on the rack in a way that someone can steer the car, but the ends of the tie rods won't get stuck or hit any thing. If it's still creaking and the tie rods are disconnected, it's not struts and leaves you to a steering rack or intermediate shaft (but if this test was performed, I would vote rack from watching that video).

well I took it back to the shop where I got my new tires and alignment because right after I picked it up it started this noise. I showed them this video and they are just as confused as the rest of us, but I'm really hoping something came loose when they "shifted" my engine cradle, they said they had to shift it because it wasn't on right. Anways I'm almost betting its the rack because it sounds like the noise is right below the floor board when turning. Really sucks because I really don't think I can change that out myself nor do I have the time. Struts I know I could do, the quick mount ones of course..

Old 02-11-2013, 05:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I have not done a w-body steering rack (but I've eyed up the job). They can take some time and an extra set of hands is a huge plus.

If it is the rack, have the outer ties rods replaced at the same time and the lines from the rack to the pump (they may not be bad now, but this is a PERFECT time to knock them out, as they do tend to go bad in the upper miles).

Best of luck, keep us posted on what develops.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member

had the car looked at, the shop says there is nothing wrong as far as safety, and no loose parts. they said they couldn't find the issue and that is probably the steering wheel shaft. It's weird, the noise has calmed down a lot but it's still there a little. Oh well just drive it as is for awhile, guess if something breaks when I'm driving I'll sue.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by D_Spear
had the car looked at, the shop says there is nothing wrong as far as safety, and no loose parts. they said they couldn't find the issue and that is probably the steering wheel shaft. It's weird, the noise has calmed down a lot but it's still there a little. Oh well just drive it as is for awhile, guess if something breaks when I'm driving I'll sue.
Eww don't get sue happy lol

If it's just a popping it's probably a mount of some sort, which leads to popping but no real dangers. If it's by the struts it's probably a mount (mine are going bad at just under 90k), it could also be a motor or trans mount... I would assume it's nothing serious, turn the wheel while the car's on the jack, see if it's hitting anything that may not have been there before

Old 03-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with Trewyn15, it's probably something that has been jostled around from the cradle re-alignment and is what is causing the recent squeaking sound. As you yourself is saying it is becoming less and less noticable. Perhaps a loose mount, lack of lube or a torn or worn bushing causing metal to metal contact.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Car Creaks when turning at low speeds?