Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Is this brake and rotors set any good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 03:42 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Is this brake and rotors set any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Old 12-18-2009, 04:13 AM

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...rakemotive.com

Links about seller above ^Click above & explore : )

If any member has purchased from this company
Please post your comments/experience
Thanks

Old 12-18-2009, 07:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's what I gathered from their site and past experiences of my own:
1. Their "team" has 20 years experience BETWEEN them. They are newbies.
2. Their rotors are MACHINED in the USA. That means that they are 100% made in China, and for that price, are throw away parts. Not like Powerslots, where you can turn them a couple of times.
3. I paid $465 for my Powerslots and Hawk HPS pads a few years ago, on the internet somewhere, but I'm not sure where. These are just under half of what I paid. I got over 100,000 miles from my set. I'm still running the rear rotors at 150K miles. (2nd car) I would expect less than half the life of those. Typical Chinese brakes are gone in 20-50,000 miles, depending on driving.
4. They have been on ebay for 5 years, and have a 100% rating.
5 You get what you pay for.
6. $534 for quality http://www.3800performance.com/Merch...=MC-IMPALA-BPP

So, is it a deal? yes. Will they last like Powerslots and Hawk HPS pads? Probably not. Will they get you new brakes on your car right now for cheap? Darn right!
If you don't mind Chinese car parts, there ya go. Otherwise, the link above was about the best price I could find for quality brake parts.

Anyone else?

Old 12-18-2009, 09:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I actually have those on my car right now. I NEEDED brakes, and I couldn't get the set-up that Wayne said, because of money issues. They have been on for a month now, still not a spec of rust and IMO they stop REALLY well...

But I don't know how long they will last yet. Time will tell. But it is very cheap to put those on if you NEED brakes right now on a budget.

They also have a very special break-in procedure. So know for sure if you can do a few stops from 45-5 mph and 25-5 mph safely. Luckily back at my Parent's house, they live in a small development where there were no cars so I was able to do that no problem.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:27 AM

Any opinions on these vs. the ones above? They cost a little more but to me look a little better. I currently have the ones from above which have lasted a long time but have been looking around and these looked interesting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MONTE...item563804dc20

Old 12-19-2009, 06:56 AM

I don't really see the difference, other than being black phosphate coated, vs zinc chromate plated. One is silver, and one is black.

Personally, I don't like the cross-drilled rotors, especially these. Someone prove me wrong here, but #1, you have less surface area with the drilling, and #2, I believe the cross drilling weakens the rotors IF the drilling hits any of the webs. I know the slots a HUGE in keeping the rotors clean,which equals rotor life.

BOTH sets are cheap throw away Chinese rotors and machined and plated in the USA. You should be able to buy a bare rotor for about $15-25. They typically have no extra stock for turning, unlike the Powerslots. You throw them away and replace them cheaper than turning them.

You will get what you pay for, IMHO!

Old 12-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- October 2010

Well if it counts for anything.... I got some drilled ones off of ebay, thinking "how bad could they be".... haha after 500 (yes FIVE HUNDRED) miles, im kicking myself now.... powerslots will be going on this spring with the dual piston caliper kit!

Old 12-19-2009, 04:32 PM

5 You get what you pay for.
This hits the nail on the head right there, it says its for an 06/07 SS which should've been like a $30k car brand new; IMO trying to cheap out and use knockoff garbage aftermarket rotors is stupid on a car like that. To me this is like buying a corvette, and trying to cheap out on the maintenance using bottom quality, bottom price garbage to save a buck- it just doesn't make sense. If price is the primary concern, and you don't want to spend the money to get OEM level quality at least, then IMO you should get a cheaper car.

Look at the price of brand new OEM rotors, and the price of brand new QUALITY aftermarket rotors- there is obviously a reason for the massive price gap. I've seen interesting pictures on the internet of various parts store replacement rotors VS stock- and some of the cheap rotors had significantly less material in some areas, and the rotors were thinner.

Secondly, I will NEVER buy cheap drilled rotors again. I got suckered into this when I bought my R1 concepts drilled/slotted rotors for my monte. I thought I was getting a great deal on some real "race ready" rotors. I was wrong, they are thinner in some spots than stock (found this out right away because my aftermarket wheels rub my caliper brackets- and they had a tiny gap before- so the hubs were thinner)- then after some hard use, the drilled holes started forming stress cracks. I honestly couldn't see them at first until some people on mymonte posted pictures of some fairly severe stress cracking around drilled holes in the R1 and other cheap rotors- and when I went and looked at mine, sure enough- you could see the beginnings of them. I suppose you may get away with it if you never did any severe stops- but is it really worth chancing it? What if you have to make a panic stop?

Personally, I would either get OEM (or similar replacements)- or I woud buy quality aftermarket only. I don't think its worth going cheap on maintenance when it could effect your life if the product fails.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:27 PM

2 things stop your car, and potentially saving yours or someone else's lives. Tires and brakes. I don't go cheap on either.
Cheap tires = poor traction and long stopping distances.
Cheap brakes = potential brake fade and short brake life.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member

I've had my R1 concepts slotted rotors and hawk pads for about 12K now, and they have about 30% left on them in the front, still quite a bit in the back. honestly, i was all about these rotors for the first 7,500 miles, and now i think they are crap. no cracks or anything like that, but after 12,000 miles they are virtually dead with my spirited driving. I cheaped out vs. powerslots and honestly, i'll be getting powerslots next time round. save the money and find a deal on them. you get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: Is this brake and rotors set any good?