Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

ANNOYING NOISE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Default ANNOYING NOISE!!!!

I have a 2001 monte carlo ss. I recently had a mechanic look at it because there was a rather annoying "humming" noise coming from the right front tire. Naturally i assumed it was some sort of hub problem as i have noticed this in past vehicles. However the mechanic looked at it and said that both front hubs were fine and that what i was hearing was just "tire noise"...hard to belive since it started doing that out of nowhere!!! Anyways...i let it go for a few weeks to see wat would come of it, even more recentlyi started to hear another noise, even more annoying than ever. The bestdescription i can give is it sounds like a "propeller" almost, and its noise increases and gets faster as i speed up, andit slows down as i do. Its obviously something with some sort of moving part and i tried to look somewhere in the engine thinking it might be the fan, or the clutch in the fan going..or anything...but itonly seems to happen when the car is actually moving, even if imonly coasting with my foot off the gas.Has anybodyhad this happen to them before, or have any ideas...PLEASE HELP!!!.....THIS NOISE ISDRVING ME CRAZY!!.....

Old 11-26-2008, 04:17 PM
Default RE: ANNOYING NOISE!!!!

I just keep thinking 'bearing' when I hear stuff like that.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:21 PM

As do i, but it just seems So strange being that a certified GM technician just looked at it and said the hub was good

Old 11-26-2008, 05:56 PM

Yes sometimes they miss stuff. wheelbearing it is though. I would check out this website and see if you can get it cheap here www.rockauto.com every good IMO

Old 11-26-2008, 08:30 PM

i third the bearing...mechanics make mistakes too

Old 12-07-2008, 06:15 AM

Lets look at it more clearly rather than diving in and making assumptions.

Does the noise lessen, get louder when cornering??? A wheel bearing will rear its ugly head more on corners than in a straight line.
Also, hums are low frequency noises and low frequency noise under 60hz may sound like its coming from one place, but really its from another complete opposite direction. Since he did not check the rear bearings, only the front because you told him X front, I'd be looking at the rears because the chassis can carry that hum or create that oscillating at a different point.

Now tires can also as they wear create noises. Bad wear patterns can lead to ovate conditions, high low spots etc and make noises.
When a tire is involved different surfaces create some decent changes in noise. Like from going from concrete to asphalt, so listen as you come off a paved highway onto a concrete bridge deck because if its a wheel bearing, no pitch change etc will happen due to the surface.

Then another, how about the serpentine belt, pulleys etc.

Right front!!!!
Where is the front of the engine with its drive belt?????
Idlers have bearings, tensioner has bearings etc!!!

Old 03-10-2015, 03:53 PM

I have a '06 LT since '08 with 109,000. I did replace the front engine mount. But there seems to be chassis creaking noises. Not the struts either. Anyone have ideas to whats the sources?

Old 03-10-2021, 08:13 PM

Go find a large open parking lot and drive it in an S motion. If one side or the other howls when you turn then that is an indicator of a bearing going bad.

Old 03-15-2021, 03:40 PM

It's the bearing or cv joint if it's drivetrain related.

Old 03-20-2021, 12:08 AM

im thinking alighnment. it created a bad wear pattern and is getting worse as the wear goes.