Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

2010 camaro ss brembos on a SS monte 06

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:06 PM

gxp upgrade? where and how much? i really just want bigger calipers and rotors Bc im getting 22s soon and hate how bigger rims look with smaller kits.
You could try Ed Morad- or local junkyards, or ebay, or craigslist, or clubgp.

Fronts are ~13", rears are ~12"

I can't think of any cheaper way to get brakes that just bolt on. Sure you could get big brembos off a camaro, or some calipers off a vette- but you're on your own as far as mounting and finding a rotor solution that works with the new calipers and wheels- it can get expensive fast. Much easier getting something made for a Wbody- and the big brake kits are tons of money.

maybe the dealership, I dont care i just want them to not be duds, and I want the calipers big! brain storming with my visual mods right now.
If you get a GXP setup- you order replacement rotors and pads for a GXP. Pretty simple.

The calipers aren't going to look "huge", the only real way to get that is with opposing pistons- like a 4 piston caliper, or 6 piston caliper. The GXP calipers don't look all that huge because both pistons are on the same side. The other problem you'll run into is depending on the wheels- if you have a lot of caliper hanging out on the other side of the rotor- you're going to run into wheel clearance issues.

yep i am about to buy, sorry if this a dumb ?, but do the have bigger calipers and rotors for the rear as well?
The GXP came with ~12" rear rotors.

the only bad thing i don't like going larger with front GXP up front is those calipers are very heavy plus the rotors too
If he's putting 22"s on, I don't think he's that worried about unsprung weight, lol.

The other bad thing is finding wheels/slicks for the track with brakes that big.

i don't think so correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the gxp calipers are cast iron.
Could've swore mine were aluminum, at least up front- but I can't really remember (irritating because I just switched pads not 2 months ago).

This place says they're aluminum, but not sure how accurate they are:

http://www.modernracer.com/history/p...xphistory.html

Here are a couple of pictures of my brake setup on my GXP- they stop AMAZING, there is nothing else I can say about them. The fronts fill the wheels nicely on 18"s, obviously you're going to have a much bigger gap on 22"s, but you're really not going to find regular brakes much bigger than 13 or 14"- biggest I've ever personally seen was a 15" rotor- but that was a custom setup with separate aluminum hats and such- a brake setup like that would probably cost more than the 4 22" wheels and tires!

Old 03-10-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by silverbullitt
i don't think so correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the gxp calipers are cast iron. btw i'm running C5 calipers up front and they are lighter than the fbody
The GXP calipers are forged aluminum. The F-Body calipers are just cast aluminum.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:31 PM

yeah me too! where are the rears for sale?

Old 03-10-2010, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by deeboe
yeah me too! where are the rears for sale?
W-Body Store has both front and rears available.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by SSmokybear
The GXP calipers are forged aluminum. The F-Body calipers are just cast aluminum.
what about the rear is that forged aluminum also?

Old 03-10-2010, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by silverbullitt
what about the rear is that forged aluminum also?
Yes sir they are

Old 03-11-2010, 01:08 AM

good info!!! thanks guys i think buying the gxp brakes is the way to go, its affordable and bolts on! wow! thanks, still cant find the rears or i wouldve bought them already!

Old 03-13-2010, 08:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by SSmokybear
Not to argue that, but can you prove that somehow? The pic looks like cast to me, just like my F-body calipers. I'd REALLY like to know this for a fact, and not hear-say. Again, not trying to argue this, I just want some proof.
I also believe the C5 calipers are the same as the F-body calipers, but with "CORVETTE" cast into them. They LOOK identical.

Last edited by RocknSS04; 03-13-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:16 PM

im not sure how you can tell but my work forges aluminum sockets and ill ask.

im sure the cast is made from sh**ty metal and the forged is made from a higher quality.

im going to tell your this, i machine aluminum and its NOTHING campared to steel. yeah its lighter but not 1/4 as strong. i dont see the point of shaving a couple pounds, unless its for heat issues.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:26 PM

yeah its lighter but not 1/4 as strong. i dont see the point of shaving a couple pounds, unless its for heat issues.
Shaving unsprung weight is a big deal, its much more important than weight savings anywhere else in the car.

Quick Reply: 2010 camaro ss brembos on a SS monte 06