Showcase Your Ride Post Photo-shoots, Videos, Sound Clips about your ride!

New Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 10:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon
Yeah see at this shop, I wasn't getting the parts, they were. I know if I get the parts all the charge me for is Labor. I was considering doing it that way for the full warranty. Their parts, their labor!
That's fair, just for a breakdown of parts, this is probably the maximum that should be charged for their parts:

Mufflers - $120 total
Tips - $80 total (stainless)
Pipe - $20 total
Labor - ~1.5-2 hours - $100

Total = $320

That's the absolute MAX... Dynomax mufflers shouldn't be that much, so you save probably $40 there, the tips , you can get some decent ones on ebay, for about $20 a piece, you save another $40 there, pipe is just going to be what they charge, shop fee should be around $80. That brings you down to about $200.

Dynomax Muffler:

(This one's on my car
Link: Dynomax 17615 Universal Installer Turbo Muffler | eBay

This one's going on the rambler (louder - wouldn't suggest for a 3800)
Link: Dynomax Exhaust Thrush Welded Muffler 17656 | eBay

4" Tips: I bought these for the rambler as well, they're very nice and clean for the price.

Link: Brand New Polished Stainless Tip 15 Degree Rolled Angle 2 1 2" in 4" Out 9" L | eBay

Buying separate leads to:

Mufflers: $60
Tips: $40
Pipe: $20
Labor: $100

Total: $220 - and I still think you can save on the labor or have the pipe built into the labor at that price.

Remember, most exhaust shops will haggle a bit as well

Old 04-22-2015, 10:47 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's a good brake down Mitch, Thanks. I'm gonna start looking at the parts. Do you think it will cost less if I have them just cut the old Mufflers off the original Y pipe and weld the new ones on? Or is that asking for trouble because they will be 2 different types os metal?

Old 04-22-2015, 11:30 AM
10 Year Member

That's a good brake down Mitch, Thanks. I'm gonna start looking at the parts. Do you think it will cost less if I have them just cut the old Mufflers off the original Y pipe and weld the new ones on? Or is that asking for trouble because they will be 2 different types os metal?
That's what I would honestly ask them to do, cut it off right at the end of the y-pipe and add everything from there.

They'll likely have to add a small piece of tubing at the end, to get the tips to sit flush, but other than that you would be good to go.

Also, unless you get up past about 300-350 at the wheels, you won't need more than the 2.25" y-pipe.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member

Yeah the 3800 would take too much work. Since I intend to keep My Minion as my Daily Driver, I'm not looking to put that kind of WHP in it. 2.25" should be good maybe 2.5 but whatever the rest of the piping is.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member

Yeah the 3800 would take too much work. Since I intend to keep My Minion as my Daily Driver, I'm not looking to put that kind of WHP in it. 2.25" should be good maybe 2.5 but whatever the rest of the piping is.
Are you set on new mufflers? Honestly the rasp and tone you'll get with new mufflers in a 3800 is not likely to be pleasing..

I would almost remove the resonator and just throw some tips on and be happy with the appearance upgrade.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:40 PM

Lookin nice man,did you install them by yourself? I might give dynomax a try on my monte,i just wish I had a car lift to make it easier lol maybe one day,

Old 04-22-2015, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member

Hay Ken, have you got a Video of your New Exhaust, I'd like to hear what she sounds like?

Old 04-22-2015, 09:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by red04montels

To the OP, I'm curious to see how Dynamax will hold up to the Ontario weather, the mufflers on my car lasted the winter which really actually surprised me being some cheap Thrush mufflers. The install looks good though!
They are stainless and guaranteed for life, so if they don't hold up I am just gonna take them back

Old 04-22-2015, 09:37 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by KingWord
Lookin nice man,did you install them by yourself? I might give dynomax a try on my monte,i just wish I had a car lift to make it easier lol maybe one day,
Ya my buddy and I installed them in his garage, he has a lift so it makes life sooooooo much easier. Dynomax are basically re branded flowmaster mufflers so if you like the sound of flowmaster's then buy whichever you can get cheaper

Old 04-22-2015, 09:40 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Hay Ken, have you got a Video of your New Exhaust, I'd like to hear what she sounds like?
Hey JC, I don't have a video yet, but I would like to try and get one done this weekend. I will let you know when it's done so you can check it out.

Oh and definitely just cut the old mufflers off at the end of the y pipe and weld the new ones on when you change your mufflers, if the pipe is still good, no point in replacing it. I did that with mine and it worked out perfectly.

My system cost me around $500 after tips ($100) and taxes, but parts up here cost a lot more than they do down there lol, and right now ebay isn't that much of a deal as our dollar isn't worth anything at the moment so it makes buying online not really worth it but what can you do. So far I highly recommend them if you are looking for new muffler's, I think you will be happy if you get them

Quick Reply: New Exhaust