Showcase Your Ride Post Photo-shoots, Videos, Sound Clips about your ride!

Jr got her fun at the track!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 08:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Jr got her fun at the track!

So this just passing weekend I had the greatest experience of my life...

My boyfriend is part of a racing club called EMRA- Eastern Motor Racing Association. Him and his family head out with this club to various tracks like Limerock and Watkins Glen. Finally got the time off and headed up with him to Pocono Raceway..
The ride was quite the hike, unfortunately I couldn't get out of work until 9pm and we were stuck on the road until 1am.

Then when we finally get there, I felt like the little 5 year old me is screaming with excitement. I'm driving onto a REAL NASCAR track! Its a dream I had since a kid to race.. You pull in and see all sorts of cars, including open wheeled formula cars that look like a ton of fun! There were also purpose built race cars... cars that look like junk.. daily drivers exc.

It was a very well put together event. I was put in a students class in between sessions to learn what to do on the track, how to drive, what to expect, and I was pared with a instructor for my first couple of sessions. Learning came quick, and sooner or later my car was doing turns I could never imagine!

Going through the nascar section, turn 1.

Highest speeds on here was 95mph, and the scariest feeling is seeing the skid marks into the wall, and then feeling your back end start to walk its way out.. but you learn to control it as you go..push the cars limits and really see what it can do. My instructor was even surprised at how well it handled the track. My first session was short since I let my instructor take the wheel the first two laps. (so I know where the drive line is, how to turn, how fast you can go, exc.) It took 2 & 1/2 sessions until my instructor let me free, and what a feeling it is...
First day my best time was 1:50.421(minutes), after a few sessions and some encouragement to push it faster I shaved a whole 7 seconds off my time down to 1:43.788! Also in the process I bumped up from being ahead of 1 person, to being ahead of 5 people in best lap times (in those people included a mustang and a gto!)
a couple more shots on the track..

that car was nearly impossible to take pictures of, it was the fastest car there, and sounded absolutely gorgeous. Its a kit car that weighs no more than 900lbs, and apparently is made from a motorcycle!

some more pictures in the next post...

Old 05-06-2014, 08:42 AM
10 Year Member

A beast of a mustang, built by Otis Ford (who is actually a local dealership on LI)

and the clown of the club, the '***** wagon' bimmer.

some F1 racers.

During lunch we had parade laps, Dave finally got some time out of timing and scoring (he controls the computer and timing equipment) and joined me for a nice 'romantic' couple of pictures

before my next student class I took some pictures in the garage..

A couple other cars that where racing/ time trialing

Overall the weekend was a blast...my car is filthy, going to need new brakes, and I have a feeling my shocks will give way soon (still on original shocks and springs! ride is a little bouncy now..) But even with the need to replace this stuff it still was worth every penny.
I also got some footage of me driving on the track!

The second run..
My last run of the weekend, with my best time. It was the lap just before I drove off into the dirt..

Old 05-06-2014, 08:43 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wait, your telling us you got to take your Jr. Monte on to a NASCAR track and could go as fast as you wanted to? Thats insane if it's true and a dream come true to anyone of us here I would bet.

Congrats to you and I'm so jealous!

Does your boyfriends club need anymore members?

Old 05-06-2014, 09:00 AM
10 Year Member

haha! EMRA is always looking for new members!
It had to be the most exhilarating, tire squealing, gas guzzling adventure yet...

Here is where I switched from my instructor driving, to myself for the first time.. I was nervous as all hell, until I took a deep breath and really realize what I am doing. Itwas crazy!

Old 05-06-2014, 09:21 AM
10 Year Member

Here is some HD footage of the racers group driving by.... I can still be driving on the road and hear these sounds in the back of my head......

Old 05-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

It looks like you had a really great time. That had to be awesome to be on that track and also being with your monte too. The pictures look really cool too. That is defiantly a cool car club.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Jen:
That looked like a real Blast! I did notice that towards the end of the one video you were doing a good job of hitting your marks as well as clipping the apex's rather nicely!

Good job! I'm definitely envious!... You need to come with us to MIS (Michigan International Speedway) with us in JULY!... The Michigan Monte Carlo Club guys are going to be there! its also the Onstead Michigan Carshow.... So not only do you get to showoff your ride..But also head out on the track and show your stuff...

I couldn't believe the huge wing on that GTO! Oh My God....
That just looked so ridiculous!

Sure would have been nice to join you and Dave out there it loked like a Blast!

Old 05-06-2014, 10:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

One word:
Jealous!

That's awesome!!! I've done auto crossing before (which is a blast if you never tried), but I'd love to have some open time on a large circle track too. That's a gotta be a ton of fun!!!
Thanks for all the pics and stories!!!

Old 05-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Talking We have a Race Car Member here (WOW) We's

WoW `Jen > That had to be Super Super Fun.
Thank You 4 posting sharing all your super pic's & vid's.
Enjoyed 4>Sure

Old 05-06-2014, 01:47 PM

Do you have a schedule of future events? I'm definitely interested in giving it a try if there's a track near by.

Quick Reply: Jr got her fun at the track!