Showcase Your Ride Post Photo-shoots, Videos, Sound Clips about your ride!

engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 06:26 PM
1 Year Member

yes I agree, just wanted your opinion on reusing, I will just have to save up. ok I see that they are not ports in the intake, I thought they were.going out to garage soon to take hood off the monte, make it easier to start taking out old 305HO. I will take some pics to show you.
didnt get time to look up for delivery of that intake, would it be easier for me to e transfer you $100, and give you my address?

Old 01-11-2023, 10:42 AM
1 Year Member

hood off, ready to start diggin in!

Old 01-11-2023, 11:22 AM

If you don't already have one, I strongly encourage you to get a proper factory service manual for your car. Since you're keeping you're engine mostly stock, it will be of tremendous help to you.

I suppose you want to reuse the Q-jet that's on the car?? If so, I recommend you read the book How to Rebuild & Modify Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors by Cliff Ruggles. Putting a Q-jet meant for a 305 on to a good breathing 400 could cause hesitation and lean-out issues.

Taking a close look at your photos, it appears your car has an EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve [circled in orange below].

If your local vehicle emission laws are lax or don't apply to older cars, you can use the manifold I have. Otherwise, you'll need to go a different route.

Old 01-11-2023, 01:28 PM
1 Year Member

i wont be keeping the Qjet bc it is carburetor feed back type, and I wont want that for this new engine, I will have to get a new carb.
yes the laws here are pretty lax so I will be able to use your intake.
since this monte has the computer in it I have to get a new distributor, ( which I have) also. plus a lock up kit for the torque lock up too.

Old 01-13-2023, 10:32 AM

If you get headers, I very much recommend Proform locking header bolts. They use NordLock wedge lock washers. They're a once-and-done deal. I've had headers for nearly 30 years and had to tighten the header bolts at least one per month. It's a non issue when your car is meant for circle track or 1/4-mile strip but it's tedious for a daily driver. I had to replace my headers some three years ago and went with these locking header bolts. I haven't had to retighten them since. That wedge lock washer design works so well, I bought some for my collector flange bolts.

By the way, you'll also need a special bracket for your AC compressor.