Showcase Your Ride Post Photo-shoots, Videos, Sound Clips about your ride!

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2004 SS Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 11:22 PM
1 Year Member
Thumbs up 2004 SS Build Thread

Well I just purchased my first Monte a few days ago. Figured I would start a build thread! I am still working out a few kinks with it and once everything is perfect I will really start building it. My goal is for 300 whp.

Let me start by saying I am definitely a v8 and Ford kinda guy but i'm giving Chevy a shot lol.

Things that were done to the vehicle:

- Tinted windows
- LED tail lights
- Stock green interior lights all replaced with red LED's. REALLY looks good at night!!
- Cold Air Intake. I plan on re-routing it to make it an effective CAI
- Aftermarket Kenwood stereo with subs

Today I spent a few hours detailing the engine bay. Got it looking really good!

This week I plan on plasti-dipping the rims white. I've seen some people with them and it looks really good with the red. All depends on how much free time I have this week. If it doesn't get done this week then it will probably be a few weeks.

How she sits now:

Before I detailed the engine bay today, still clean though!!

The SS with the GT

I will update the build thread as I get things done!!!

Old 06-23-2014, 07:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Looks like you picked up a nice ride there

Here is a link to a thread on the forum here that will help you decide which way you want to take things, it is very well broken down and gives you a good idea on what each mod will give you performance wise

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/en...-bumpin-24896/

best of luck and look forward to seeing future updates

Old 06-23-2014, 08:50 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks! I have already read it and have a good idea of what i'm going to do. I'm staying with bolt-ons and a nice tune since I'm not looking for crazy hp. Today I knocked out all of the previous issues with the car. I put a new a/c compressor on, charged it and have ice cold air now . I also had an issue with the car not blowing any air, hot or cold, at all. Tracked it down to a bad connection at the plug. After that I put a set of new belts on and decided to tackle an exhaust leak. The resonator had a little leak in it so I cut the entire thing out and put a new pipe in place. It's got a little rumble, sounds a whole lot better!! There is only one more thing i'm trying to figure out. Under light accelereration I can hear like a rattling I guess is the best way to describe it. Sounds like a rattling heat shield maybe? Anyways other than that I am reaaallyy pleased with this car!

Old 06-25-2014, 11:43 PM
1 Year Member

Knocked out a few things today. Spent a few hours doing a clay bar wax, turned out nice! I also swapped out the generic air filter with a bigger K&N cone. Obviously no change in performance BUT now the supercharger really SCREAMS!! When I bought the car it had a small oil leak at the valve cover gasket. From what I've read it is pretty common for these cars. I plan on eventually putting better rockers in and replacing with better gaskets, but for the meantime I put a quart of Lucas stop leak in for a temporary fix. Won't know if it worked or not for a few days since the leak is minuscule but stop leak really does work wonders. Once I track down that rattle I will have all of the known issues fixed and I will start getting into the performance end of things.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:38 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Car looks great! I would never use any stop leaks. That stuff clogs more than just the leak from what I hear.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:11 PM

congratulations on the purchase. I got my 04 non-supercharged in 07 and still love driving it

which cold air intake did you put in? I'm looking at putting one in soon

Last edited by chlopiec; 06-27-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:37 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
Car looks great! I would never use any stop leaks. That stuff clogs more than just the leak from what I hear.
I have heard that too but only if you use the generic cheap off brand crap. Lucas makes good stuff and I've used it plenty before. It's not a permanent solution but it works til I can put new gaskets in.

Originally Posted by chlopiec
congratulations on the purchase. I got my 04 non-supercharged in 07 and still love driving it

which cold air intake did you put in? I'm looking at putting one in soon

It had a generic cai on it but I popped a K&N cone on the end of it. I would recommend these guys: Cold Air Inductions Inc. - Cold Air Intake Systems - High Performance Cold Air Intakes & Filters

Old 06-30-2014, 12:03 AM
1 Year Member

Was testing out the cars power.... All I can say is damn

Old 06-30-2014, 12:22 AM

I will NEVER use a lucas product ever again. I have used two seperate lucas product on two different cars and had two different part failures as a result

Old 07-08-2014, 07:35 PM
1 Year Member

Just a few shots from today

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): 2004 SS Build Thread