Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

A word of warning about street racing...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by JBgrayTA
I used to do it...a LOT. I was very fortunate, and am almost glad that I no longer have my LS1 TA due to the fact that I may have eventually done stupid in it, like getting myself or someone else killed or seriously hurt.

One close call I had was when I had lined up against a turbo Eclipse. At the time, I was on Nittos, Heads/Cam, weight reduction, N2O, 4000 stall. Needless to say, I didn't hook worth a damn, got sideways, and sprayed some dirt and gravel on a few spectators before I got it under control. I learned from that and only did roll races from that point on.

I finally got my racing under control when I jumped the gun a bit and raced a 2.2 KB '04 Cobra. A couple of SRT-4s were behind us to watch. I ran a true-dual exhaust setup with full dumps, so our cars together were stupidly loud. We had a few spirited runs from a 20 mph roll(I had a couple cars on him until we got into the higher speed shuttin' 'em down around 125 or so). When our little pack pulled into the gas station, about 6 police cars were right behind us. I thought for sure I was going to get arrested, or my car taken, or license revoked, and lose my job, or even a night in jail. They didn't stop me, but it sure as hell made me think.

A couple of weeks later, my TA was flooded out, and transmission ruined due to a very nasty storm in my area.
Wow, sounds like that was a sign in disguise. Just goes to show how street racing can get taken to too great of lengths, unsafe, dangerous, life jeapordizing risks, but you learned, I hope more people come to realize the risks they are running as you have.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

I saw a Video on another chevy site. That had three owners of cars that were caught street racing. Showed them standing side by side. Watching their once owned Hondas or what ever. Getting a Bucket or crane dropped on their cars. One at a time. Funny. None of them looked happy! LEARN before it's TOO late !

Old 11-27-2010, 03:02 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

See here is where the problem lays in nebraska. There is a 1/8th mile strip, MAM, but I hear its kind of a crap hole and they have evens mabye every 2-3 weeks.

Down in Kearney, its a 5 hour drive from my house, they host events every once in a while.

One strip was shut down for various reasons. So now they are trying to build a strip in lincoln, which has a crazy amount of street racing, some betting into the $1000 area. Its all over the town. Now heres the catch, a guy has offered to pay for and build the strip, not even use tax dollars, and the city wont let him or his group, they say it will be too noisy. The sad thing is that the only alternative for all these people is street racing. Its easy to say go to a track, but when you dont have one it kinda sucks.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Yeah "going to the track" isnt exactly an option for everyone. I know around here, the closest track is over an hour away and their test and tunes are on thursdays. Now who wants to work all day, drive an hour, make a couple passes and then drive and hour back home. I know I sure dont.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by mrl390
Yeah "going to the track" isnt exactly an option for everyone.
I agree -- the closest track to me is 2.5 hrs away. But I can honestly say I've only street raced 1 time. I was coming home from work one day and I was taking 480, I didn't leave work until 10:30 and by that time the freeway was practically empty. Up behind me I see a pair of headlights and he's coming up on me fast, he jumps over into the other lane and flashed his high beams a few times. By now he's close enough I can see it's some really ugly Honda -- I mean this guy puts ridiculous amounts of crap onto it to make it look "cool." What the hell I thought, I gunned it, I had no problem leaving him behind me and eventually he dropped back and moved over behind me, we both dropped it back down to 65 and went on with ourselves. It didn't last long and luckily we didn't meet any cars by surprise. I only peaked about 95, but that was still 30 over the speed limit.

I got home a little after 11. Got in the house and saw a message flashing on my answering machine. It was my cousin calling me from Metro hospital, his sister (my other cousin) was life-flighted there about 20 minutes prior. She was driving her 6 month old baby home from her parents house, they were having dinner and what not since her husband was out of state on a business trip. She took I-71 and apparently some young, dumb punks were racing about a mile behind her, the finish line was the exit ramp. She was sitting at the traffic light at the end of the exit ramp and the one kids brakes were worn, and worn bad, so he couldn't slow down at all. He smashed into the back of her car going about 85 mph, killing the baby on impact and she died while being transported to the hospital. I have never street raced after that and can guarantee you I never will.

Although the person who probably got it the worst in this situation was her husband. He didn't have a cell phone and we had no way to get a hold of him on his trip and we couldn't delay the service until he got back because none of us new when he'd be back except his wife. That had to be the worst feeling ever to come home to find your wife and child are dead and you weren't able to be there for any of the services or anything like that to even say goodbye.

Last edited by Mike 00LS; 12-04-2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mogwog
I agree -- the closest track to me is 2.5 hrs away. But I can honestly say I've only street raced 1 time. I was coming home from work one day and I was taking 480, I didn't leave work until 10:30 and by that time the freeway was practically empty. Up behind me I see a pair of headlights and he's coming up on me fast, he jumps over into the other lane and flashed his high beams a few times. By now he's close enough I can see it's some really ugly Honda -- I mean this guy puts ridiculous amounts of crap onto it to make it look "cool." What the hell I thought, I gunned it, I had no problem leaving him behind me and eventually he dropped back and moved over behind me, we both dropped it back down to 65 and went on with ourselves. It didn't last long and luckily we didn't meet any cars by surprise. I only peaked about 95, but that was still 30 over the speed limit.

I got home a little after 11. Got in the house and saw a message flashing on my answering machine. It was my cousin calling me from Metro hospital, his sister (my other cousin) was life-flighted there about 20 minutes prior. She was driving her 6 month old baby home from her parents house, they were having dinner and what not since her husband was out of state on a business trip. She took I-71 and apparently some young, dumb punks were racing about a mile behind her, the finish line was the exit ramp. She was sitting at the traffic light at the end of the exit ramp and the one kids brakes were worn, and worn bad, so he couldn't slow down at all. He smashed into the back of her car going about 85 mph, killing the baby on impact and she died while being transported to the hospital. I have never street raced after that and can guarantee you I never will.

Although the person who probably got it the worst in this situation was her husband. He didn't have a cell phone and we had no way to get a hold of him on his trip and we couldn't delay the service until he got back because none of us new when he'd be back except his wife. That had to be the worst feeling ever to come home to find your wife and child are dead and you weren't able to be there for any of the services or anything like that to even say goodbye.

very sad to read this story, sorry, just 1 more reason not to street race...

Last edited by monte carlo 3831; 12-04-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:49 PM

I've already had at least two guys try to race me. The first one was only a week after I got my car. I was driving home from work at 9:00 pm. The road I was on was a 40mph two lane road. Woods on both sides and this road is known for having deer come across it quite a bit.

This guy comes up behind me, then pulls along side in the opposing lane (while we were approaching a blind curve) and he floors it. I did nothing but look at him pull away from me. I shook my head in disbelief. He was driving what appeared to be a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant 4 door. Not sure why he wanted to race, maybe he thought my Monte was the V-6 version and he could take me??

Then last week I was traveling down I-95 and two punk kids in a late 90's white VW Jetta pulled up behind me. I was already doing 70 mph, they then pull along side, look at my car and took off. Like the previous time I did nothing but look at them go by.

Back in the late 90's when I was in high school a high school class mate of mine died in a roll over wreck. He wasn't street racing but he was speeding in his 95 Ford Explorer. He had a fight with his girlfriend and left her house. He was known for speeding and running stops signs (he bragged about it). He came up on a curve at 100 mph, lost control and rolled his Explorer. He wasn't wearing his seat belt and was thrown through the windshield and into a tree. His body hit the tree so hard his clothing was literally ripped off his body. He survived the intial wreck and was still conscious. He died later on at the hospital from severe injuries. I was told he had too much trauma and his heart gave out.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's the same thing around me Matt. There is no track we can go to here either.

But scenes like this picture is what comes to mind when I see people street racing. This picture is taken from crash tests done by Mythbusters. Both cars were the same make and model. The orange one on the left crashed at 50 MPH. The yellow one crashed at 100 MPH.

Attached Thumbnails A word of warning about street racing...-mythbusters-car-crash.jpg  
Old 03-06-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by mogwog

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but reading this just sent chills down my spine! That's just absolutely horrible, I couldn't wish that on my worst enemy, ever.

Wow, I wouldn't even know how to continue with my life.

This is a real tragedy.
Best wishes.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:27 AM

I agree about keeping it on the Strip...as a matter of fact im going to build my 1984 Monte Carlo(light baby blue) into a strip street car....setting a 383 in it...

Quick Reply: A word of warning about street racing...