Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

raced a V6 charger on highway

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Default RE: raced a V6 charger on highway

[align=center]Ok Kid's, let's play nice : )[/align][align=center]Space `Jr : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I really like what Keegan is doing to his[/align][align=center]Awesome Monte Carlo SS[/align][align=center]+SuperCharged"[/align][align=center]I envy `him : ) & wish I could be do'in the same.[/align][align=center]I'm sure that time will tell on the #'s & Power.[/align][align=center]I do think that Keegan's Monte will be in the[/align][align=center]solid 12 sec bracket.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I do like the Hemi's, but they are a complete[/align][align=center]different animal. It's a V-8 & it's[/align][align=center]close to $40K +[/align][center]

Click To View Larger Image

Story by Dubspeed Driven Staff Writer, Zerin Dube
Photos by Matt Chow and Zerin Dube, studio photo courtesy of the manufacturer

When we reviewed the 2006 Dodge Charger R/T earlier this year, we were pretty impressed. The Charger R/T is a wonderful package of power and performance, all rolled into one practical full-sized passenger sedan. The Charger R/T definitely hauls more than just passengers thanks to the fantastic 5.7-liter, 340 horsepower HEMI engine. But we at Dubspeed Driven are all about high-performance around here, and didn’t leave the Charger experience drooling as much as we’d hoped. Yes, the Charger R/T is one of the best all-around performance sedans for the money, but we wanted more.
Thankfully for us, the engineers at Chrysler’s Street and Racing Technology (SRT) division felt the same way. They wanted to give the American muscle car enthusiast exactly what they wanted: more power, better handling, better braking, an ultra-aggressive exterior, and an interior that that was inspired by the racetrack. The result of all this hard work is the new Dodge Charger SRT8 sedan, and what a fantastic result it is.

Click To View Larger Image

If you read our review of the Charger R/T, you already know that the lesser HEMI engine was enough to propel the Charger R/T to 60mph in a swift 6.0 seconds. Considering the Charger R/T has a hefty curb weight of 4100lbs, 6.0 seconds isn’t too shabby at all.
To improve on these numbers in the Charger SRT8, SRT engineers bored out the diameter of the cylinders in the 5.7L HEMI by 3.5 millimeters each, thus increasing total displacement to 6.1 liters. But the engineers weren’t done yet. SRT engineers also increased the compression ratio from 9.6:1 in the standard HEMI to 10.3:1, resulting in better efficiency and more power. The 6.1-liter HEMI also benefits from new higher-flow cylinder heads with larger-diameter valves and reshaped ports. The specially designed intake plenum was designed with larger-diameter and shorter runners for better high speed performance. Exhaust headers are also tuned with performance in mind, with individual runners encased in a stainless steel shell. A 2.75-inch exhaust system carries spent gases to the rear of the car. To increase horsepower even further, performance camshafts were developed to allow the cylinders

Old 02-26-2008, 03:35 PM

well it sounds like to me OLD HEAD that you are trying to keep your car forever.

and you have just proved my point. put 11 grand into any charger with the hemi and u will get your *** toasted.

I am not putting that much money into my car.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:40 PM

yea I agree that he has done some nice mods to his monte.

I can't speak for everyone else but I know my situation and I know what type of car I will be in thats all

I'm not knocking what he is doing but fact is fact and if u put half the money he has put into his monte the SRT especially will still be faster.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:43 PM

Power to Weight Ratio: 3500 Lb Monte< 3.29 Gears< 340 Hp< 17"tires

60 Foot E.T. :

1/8 Mile E.T. :

1/8 Mile Trap Speed :

1/4 Mile E.T. :

1/4 Mile Trap Speed :

1/4 Mile Trap RPM :
If the #'s is correct above on gears and tires and weight and HP is 340 then this is what you can expect to get... Not to shabby for a V6

Old 02-26-2008, 03:46 PM

I went to Albany, NY across the Mass Pike and New York Thruway ... didn't see a Mass Trooper although they are running totally stealth in Chevy's and Intrepid.

The "Sight" was a fully marked, lighted and roof-racked new Corvette the New York State Police are running in "No Man's Land" ... the Toll-free stretch of New York between the Massachusetts Border and the Toll Booths in New York.

Traffic coming out of Massachusetts ... where setting your Cruise Control at 78 MPH seems to be OK ... hits No Man's Land after paying the Mass Exit Toll and heads into New York where the Speed Limit is 65 MPH and enforced!

The Corvette was twinkling with every LED Type of light imaginable!

Old 02-26-2008, 04:33 PM

I'm not saying its bad but the fact of the matter is when you have these cars bone stock and line them up next to each other the monte carlo will never win.

the charger is just a naturally faster car then when you step it up to the SRT 8's they are even faster

Old 02-26-2008, 04:44 PM

The Corvette was twinkling with every LED Type of light imaginable!
Yah, I've heard about those, never seen them... was it slick as hell looking?

Old 02-26-2008, 04:50 PM

Tlip, you're comparing apples to oranges, here.

Bone stock Charger - $40,000+
Bone stock Monte - $25,000+

For $40,000, you would be in Corvette territory, and I can GUARANTEE that Charger would be eating Corvette dust.

Not to mention, in five years when you get the sucker paid off, you'll still just have a Dodge.

Sure, if you put 11 G's into a Charger, on top of the original price,it should be faster than a Monte, but it's STILL just a Dodge.

Also, even with the 11 G's Keegan put into his car, he's got less into it than the ORIGINAL price of the lowly Dodge.

Do you see a theme here? If you want a Dodge, go buy one, but most of the folks on here want Chevy's, and Monte's in particular. Also, I hate Dodge's.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:57 PM

[align=center]Valid Point's have been made [/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][8D]We can agree to disagree [/align][align=center]for[/align][align=center]We are the Monte Carlo Family.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Peace/Out[/align][align=center]Wanta `Race ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Mine's faster then yours `OK, I lied [/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]

Old 02-26-2008, 04:57 PM

ORIGINAL: mad717

Tlip, you're comparing apples to oranges, here.

Bone stock Charger - $40,000+
Bone stock Monte - $25,000+

For $40,000, you would be in Corvette territory, and I can GUARANTEE that Charger would be eating Corvette dust.

Not to mention, in five years when you get the sucker paid off, you'll still just have a Dodge.

Sure, if you put 11 G's into a Charger, on top of the original price, it should be faster than a Monte, but it's STILL just a Dodge.

Also, even with the 11 G's Keegan put into his car, he's got less into it than the ORIGINAL price of the lowly Dodge.

Do you see a theme here? If you want a Dodge, go buy one, but most of the folks on here want Chevy's, and Monte's in particular. Also, I hate Dodge's.
Good point there, price wise, the Monte can be faster for less money.

I'm fine with Dodges, the newer trucks are ugly, but then again so are 90% of new trucks.

I'd defiantly take a Dodge over a Ford, unless I could resell the Ford for more money and it was given to me freely.

Oh, and the Monte's still only have two doors. I still haven't gotten over the fact that Dodge decided to badge a car that has four doors as being a Charger.

Quick Reply: raced a V6 charger on highway