Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Race Preperation

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Default Race Preperation

When I say preperation I mean for the track. YES, I will admit I've done... idk 4 drags on an abandoned road in my area? But thats not what I want, I'm no fast n the furious fan (cept the pretty paint jobs), its going to be AT LEAST 2 years before I can get the money to be able to fully be prepared for racing on a track. But I was wondering if there were any tips, or recomendations for this preperation as I play w/ my engine and learn everything I need to know. I don't have much experience at all so this car is going to be my learning curve, my teacher, and my start. People have already seen my lack of knowledge on my beginning thread, and I hope to learn a lot about my car from you guys here on the Monte Carlo Enthusiast Community. Absolutely anything will help, and I have a notepad and pen ready to go for whatever information I come across. Thanks for Reading

5th Gen. 1997 Monte Carlo LS 3.1L V6

Old 03-06-2012, 05:29 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would suggest if it is your only car, don't race it. If you break down you will be stuck.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:33 PM

Hence my 2 year mark mate. Should get me enough time to get a beater for a daily driver replacement.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Remove weight, know how to launch the car (hold the brake and rev, see what RPM you can launch without spinning).

Old 03-06-2012, 08:58 PM

The faster you learn these basics, the better.

More HP and TQ + More Traction = better Launches

Better launches - extra weight = faster 1/4 mile times

Last edited by vita; 03-06-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Removing weight is the cheapest thing you can do. Also I would invest in a tow dolly and a beater with a hitch that way when you break at the track at least you be able to pull it home.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:37 PM

Or get AAA.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well most tracks you will need a helmet,long pants, no leaks and pass a Tech Insp. They look to make sure all your lug nuts are on, tread is okay, battery is secure, some want you to have a fire extinguisher. No drugs ,alcohol and paraphernalia in the car. Seat belts present, helmet is 2005 current. You will need to reduce the air pressure for better traction, down around 22 pounds and go from there. I go around the water pit and do a dry burnout, the water can stay in the tire grooves and cause a traction loss. Creep into the light until it goes red. Then start building your RPM's, just enough to get a good launch and not break to much traction (will take practice). Just because the light turns green, you do not need to go, your time wont start till you trip the light. I need to sit there a couple more seconds to build boost on my turbo car. keep a good grip and away you go enjoy the run.... A cool motor will run better than a very hot one, pop your hood and let her cool between runs, move up the line and shut your engine off again. Adjust your tire pressure again if needed, I always have a portable 12v with me, get a nice race type tire gauge with the 6" hose and air release button. Keep about a half tank or so of fuel, no extra weight, no spare tire. But then your only shaving off 10th's of a second. I ended up putting in my carpet kit, stereo, amps, sub and all. I'm never going to be the fastest, why worry about the 10th's. take a tool bag, flashlight, and some quick fix things like wire and duct tape. I just stash my fuel can's, tools and such by others at the track, most racers are honest and wont screw with your jacks, tires tools etc. Don't wrap your motor to it's limit's the first few go arounds if you can help it, use this time to watch the temperature gauge and listen for issues. Have fun, good luck...

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 03-06-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Well most tracks you will need a helmet,long pants, no leaks and pass a Tech Insp.
You only need a helmet if you're running faster then a 13.99, protective clothing isn't necessary until 11.49 or better.

You will need to reduce the air pressure for better traction, down around 22 pounds and go from there...
Tire pressure is dependant of what tire you're using. If you're using normal street tires, then you need to race at the recommended tire pressure. You can play with it +-5psi, but I wouldn't go beyond that. Drag radials and slicks have their own recommended psi.

Most stock 5th gen LS' run high 16's to low 17's in the 1/4 while Z34's usually run high 15's to low 16's in the 1/4. The fastest ever fwd 5th gen ran an 11.9. I mention these stats to give a little perspective.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

Check with your local track some require a helmet no matter what time you run,

Once you get a few runs under your belt and you want to work on reaction time leave on the third yellow,

Quick Reply: Race Preperation