Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

My first track experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:42 PM

Hey guys, sorry I cant get a pic of the heads because the are blocked by the AC unit and the Alt, but I can make out most of it and it says Edelbrock Performer. This is an excerpt from one of there press releases from 2005 not sure if it is the same process now.

Smeding specially modifies the Edelbrock RPM cylinder heads to precisely match the flow characteristics of the custom-ground camshaft. The heads feature stainless valves and extruded aluminum full roller rockers

Old 08-24-2010, 10:43 PM

yeah your combo. i asked first! but yeah ill tell. its long winded but here you go. full forged rotating assembly, 6" rods, 4 bolt mains, sportsman II heads, scorpion rockers,close to 11:1 compression, about .525 lift, it was my daily driver hence the baby cam. torker II intake (rpms sitting in the basement waiting to go on.) 750 double pumper, petronix billet distributor, holley pump. 700r4 trans with 2500 stall (miss the 350, harder shifts and lighter, but on the highway you cant beat the overdrive.), 7.5 3.73s with moser axles and an auburn 9* carrier. we built to be a nitrous motor and 250 shot that hasnt gone on yet. she holds her own pretty good though with out it as any nitrous car should. nothings worse than a car that cant hang on just the motor. now that you know my not so secret weapon. whats your set up? judging by your times its probably a little stouter than mine. on a side note im shocked that his 7.5 takes that punishment. future plans are cam swap, N2O plate, and a dana 60. that is unless someone is in the mood to buy it off me. the gf has been on me to get rid of it for a decade.

Last edited by TheMonteMan; 08-24-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:54 PM

if they say they are they probably are. to be on the safe side you could pull a valve cover and take a look they should have a casting number in there and edelbrock stamped on it. that is if you cant see it on the face of the head. if they are then the car should go. especially with that roller cam. im sure that this is all just a tuning thing. next time at the track make sure to take a camera with you. i think once you guys get this thing running right its going to go like a mother ****er.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:10 AM

Nice combo, not much different than mine actually. It is a standard block has all the good machine work done to it. It has an all forged rotating assembly. Callies Dragonslayer crank, Mahle piston 10.5:1, 6" H-Beam rods, Trick Flow heads 23*, entire block was fitted with ARP stud kit for strength, Hyd Roller cam with a .558/.558 lift, 750 Holley Dp, all MSD ignition MSD 6al, timing control, 2-step, Victor Jr intake, 350 th built with billet hardened sprag and shift kit, 3400 stall, motor was built for nitrous as well. I have a NOS Big Shot for it, won't run it till I install the built 12 bolt with 33 spline Strange axels, full lightweight spool, c-clip eliminator, welded tubes. I also have suspension wise UMI upper double adjustable upper control arms, sinlge adjustble lower arms, Moroso trick springs all the way around, 60/40 rear Drag shocks, 90/10 front Drag shocks, front Tubular upper control arms, stock lowers, electric water pump, no powersteering, manual gear box, -10 fuel braided line and a Holley Hp 150 pump running it all. This is pretty much my entire set up from front to rear. Oh yea, full exhaust h-pipe, full lenght Hooker ceramic coated headers. I also run a 28x12.5x15 Mickey Thompson Street E.T. at the track on 10" Weld Draglites. So, what do you think?

Old 08-25-2010, 10:06 AM

yeah i would say thats stouter then mine. i wanted to go roller but when doing the motor it was just cheaper to go with the flat tappet. at the time i was on a budget, come to think of it i still am. whats the spacing on your wheels? im running 8" prostars out back with 4" backspacing and with the 275s its close. your car isnt your daily driver i take it. that convertor and gearing with the 350 sounds like it would be pretty annoying on the street. im surprised that you went with the victor since with the 400 i would think youd want a dual plane and not to spin it hard. i definitely need some suspension work the powers there but putting to the ground is the issue. hows yours with out the power steering? ive always wanted to dump it and get electric fans and pump. i have issues from time to time of throwing belts when spinning it real hard.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:35 PM

I am and always will be on a budget LOL. It used to be a daily driver. Right now I am doing a frame off on it. I haven't yet run it without the power steering. But, from friends they say it really isn't to bad unless you are trying to turn when you are barely moving. So, we'll see. I used to have the same issue with throwing my alt belt. I found that it was the type of belt. I went to a serpentine belt and never tossed one again. I got mine pulley's off a camaro. That solved that issue. I only through them when I got ino it or at the track. When I run the 10" wheels I have to use a small spacer to keep the sidewalls off the frame. I can't remember off the top of my head on the backspacing.

Actually the gearing and the 350th isn't that bad on the street. When I daily drove it I rarely got above 55-60 when driving to work. I like the gearing when I am driving it cause it has some serious trq. I tried both the victor and the performer rpm and liked the victor better for the track. It helps with the top end. I have enough grunt to take care of the putting around town. When I put the 12 bolt in it will have 4.10 gears in it. So, that will make it even more of a blast around town. This has gone from daily driver to weekend Mustang killer over the last 10 years.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:44 PM

Here are some pics prior to the frame off restoration that it is under currently.

Here are some as of now.

Last edited by 406Monte; 08-25-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:51 PM

Few more as it sits now.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:23 AM

looks awesome man. yeah when i was running the 350 i was running the factory cam and at about 4g it would fall on its face hard. and with the 3.70s the highway drive sucked. id be buzzing to work at 50 while everyone ripped by cruising at 80. i would love to do the frame off deal especially since i have full quarters that i spent a g for. but i think its more cost effective to find a straight 78/79 elky body and swap over. that is if i can get the woman to allow it. id hate to part with it but it just seems stupid now to do the floors,quarters,doors. and fenders when i can get a 6 cylinder car for what i bought the quarters for. granted i have all the body panels minus a fender and the floors,but i always look back at it and think about how many ls1 fbodies i could have bought with pw,pd,ps,ac, and hci that would out run it and still be reliable at a fraction of the cost. but then id have to come up with a user name. the camaro man doesnt have the same ring to it and then the tattoos would make no sense.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:20 PM

Yea, know what you mean. I had a Camaro once and sold it after about 3 months. It just wasn't the same as driving a Monte.

Quick Reply: My first track experience