Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 04:11 AM
Default RE: Mustang GT

ORIGINAL: 04MonteLS

ORIGINAL: nj85z28

yea VERY tight emissions....Im gonna have to look into that
tighter than California?

Emissions in California is so much different than here in Oregon. In California, they did the OBD II scan, stuffed a thingy in the tailpipe, did a visual inspection under the hood, checked that all the VIN#'s matched, it's a good 20 minute ordeal. Here in Oregon, they hook up the OBDII scan and a minute later you're rolling out the door. And it's $30 cheaper than down in Cali
Well, Cali is notorious for tough emissions. New Jersey does all that stuff, and usually its about a 20 minute ordeal, after the hour and a half wait, but hey, it is free/ On a side note, Ive never, ever, had a car, New or old, even my GTP which came off a dealer lot, that passed inspection the first time. And thats not just emissions. NJ is tough with everything now.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: 04MonteLS

yea VERY tight emissions....Im gonna have to look into that
tighter than California?

Emissions in California is so much different than here in Oregon. In California, they did the OBD II scan, stuffed a thingy in the tailpipe, did a visual inspection under the hood, checked that all the VIN#'s matched, it's a good 20 minute ordeal. Here in Oregon, they hook up the OBDII scan and a minute later you're rolling out the door. And it's $30 cheaper than down in Cali
Well, Cali is notorious for tough emissions. New Jersey does all that stuff, and usually its about a 20 minute ordeal, after the hour and a half wait, but hey, it is free/ On a side note, Ive never, ever, had a car, New or old, even my GTP which came off a dealer lot, that passed inspection the first time. And thats not just emissions. NJ is tough with everything now.
What's this inspection you speak of? What do they inspect for? Your emissions test is free?

Old 06-16-2005, 12:17 PM

your emissions test is FREE?? in PA, its like 40 bucks, when i used to work as an inspector...plus the safety inspection which is another 20...both required yearly...if you fail the emissions, you have to keep paying to have it done until you pass...there are some areas, such as the county which houses philly, that charge up to 200 per emission test. get this crap...i dont know if they do this anymore,but one county in eastern PA would have your car on rollers, similar to a dyno...PLUS the obd II PLUS the tailpipe test. so they measured the actual output across various ranges of speeds...

socallss...i have seen cutouts, but only on cars with Very big engines, and LOTS of torque. i would honestly feel that removing that much backpressure will lose you low end torque.

Old 06-16-2005, 04:15 PM

Inspection constists of (all for free)-

External check for rust, headlights, tail lights, marker lights and tire tread

Open hood to check for vin#s, etc

cars 96 and under get ran on the dyno with the tail pipe wand

96 and up get the OBD scanner on the dyno

then, they do about 20 MPH and slam the brakes on a machine that measures the braking distance

then they check the pressure of your gas cap

also, they will not run your car on the dyno if the tires are not almost identical, no snow tires on the back, etc, and sometimes they check the springs and shocks with a machine that holds your tires and shakes the hell out of it

Check engine light, automatic fail
Sharp rust, automatic fail

Now, there is an option of getting a private inspection, at a private state facility i.e. a shop with a dyno machine, but usually it cost about 100-150$

Old 06-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Monte Of The Month - July 2005

here in texas if you live outside of collin/dallas county or any other large city county they dont have to pass emisions my friend has straight pipes and has had it for 3 years 2 speeding tickets and no tickets for emisions sticker but on the other had the cut outs for montes are ok my bro has one it sounds great untill it backfires which happens alot i asume because of the back pressure for montes needs to be at certain level. but if you are ok with backfireing every now and then they sound great especial if you get the auto kind where all you have to do is press a button to open it. it sounds great going from a quiet system to hearing it roar

Old 06-16-2005, 06:39 PM

It may sound great, but like Patrick noted, these V6's require a certain amount of back pressure or you loose quite a bit off the top end. Now what that loss is I am not sure.. May be a non issue.

TVW

Old 06-16-2005, 06:52 PM
Monte Of The Month - July 2005

when ive drove it with the cut out open i cant seem to tell a diff than when it is closed so if it is it is very minimal. but then again he does have a long list of mods-
18" Voxx Argus wheels
Falken Tires 255 / 45 ZR18
Hypertech 160' degree thermostat
Magnaflow Exhaust
Custom stainless steel tips
MPD Ram Air Hood
Plenum to fit Thrasher
Thrasher Shift Kit
Thrasher Cold Air Intake
Zex NOS Kit
Zex Purge Kit
Next Level Rear Sway Bar
ZZP HVTB Stage I
Manual Exhaust Cutout
Magnaflow High Preformance Catalytic Converter
Zex Spark Plugs and Taylor 8mm Wires

Old 06-17-2005, 04:37 AM
Photobucket

Yep, the thought of lack of back pressure was certainly on my mind. however, the cool thing about this cutout is that with the switch, mounted inside the car none the less, you can open it as much as you want, all the way, half way, 1/4 of the way 11/32 of the way if you want. so i would play around with a little bit to find the best position to allow for maximum use of back-pressure, while still increasing power. I think I will give it a shot and I will let y'all know how it goes.

Old 06-17-2005, 11:08 AM

Now that would be cool, I did not know they made an adjustable waste gate... Where do you get them at?

TVW

Old 06-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Photobucket

I'm pretty sure I found it on pfyc.com it's made by QuickTime Performance, check it out.

Quick Reply: Mustang GT