Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

going to track any tips

  #1  
Old 09-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: canton ohio
Posts: 31
Default going to track any tips

iam looking at going to the track soon to see what the montes got before winter hibernation.so iam looking for tips. i race on the streets just not the track. what rpm should i launch at? trac control on or off ?my mods are zzp headers/zzp 3 inch d/p. prj race wires/ 180 drilled tstat/nkg iridium plugs/3.4 mps/[email protected] drop in filter/ custom tune / new egeal f1 tires. ive got a 04 intimadator
 
  #2  
Old 09-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Beach`in Florida
Posts: 33,585
Default

Hi Tim,
I have not raced @ the track for a few years, but I'm
sure that if you check back on your thread questions
that several of our Drag Racing Member's will post
what they are doing to get the best time.
I will also be reading their experiences & what they are doing.
My problem was always the Christmas tree and nerves...
The first time I raced my legs were shak'in

Everyone that needs practice & for `Fun
Click on the below link & check your reaction times
http://www.howtodragrace.com/

Look 4ward to Member's posts on your Subject : )
 
  #3  
Old 09-26-2010, 10:21 PM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 176
Default

when doing my burnout i turn t/c off and drop into 1st...when launching i keep t/c on and i launch at about 1.5k-2k rpms on my NA 3.8...hope this helps...oh yea...keep your A/C off
 
  #4  
Old 09-26-2010, 10:46 PM
nemesis's Avatar
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: over here
Posts: 2,810
Default

Originally Posted by tim_haha2000 View Post
iam looking at going to the track soon to see what the montes got before winter hibernation.so iam looking for tips. i race on the streets just not the track. what rpm should i launch at? trac control on or off ?my mods are zzp headers/zzp 3 inch d/p. prj race wires/ 180 drilled tstat/nkg iridium plugs/3.4 mps/[email protected] drop in filter/ custom tune / new egeal f1 tires. ive got a 04 intimadator
take all your junks out of the trunk, jack, spare and what ever out of the trunk. im assuming you running your stock 17" wheels for the future go with 16" wheel. drop in filter, must mean stock airbox. i would get a flexible tube and snap on a open cone filter. take off the driver side head light and have the cone sit right by the opening head light slot.

traction should be off at burn out and launching

shift to second gear and drive around the water box and smash on the pedal to dust off the tires.

put the car back to drive. DON'T forget this step!!! cuz you do not want to leave on 2nd going down the lane.

on launch i start with about 1500 rpm. you might be able to launch higher rpm, but for starter i stay around that area then move on up to higher rpm on your your next pass and so on. you can take off at the 3rd yellow light. don't have to wait on green. when you ready to launch and it's the 3rd yellow light, let off the brake foot and let the car roll out (don't stomp on the pedal cuz you will spin, let it roll first) then smash on the gas pedal to the finish line. practice, practice...i'm still learning too. good luck!
 
  #5  
Old 09-26-2010, 10:51 PM
monte carlo 3831's Avatar
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,967
Default

Originally Posted by silverbullitt View Post
take all your junks out of the trunk, jack, spare and what ever out of the trunk. im assuming you running your stock 17" wheels for the future go with 16" wheel. drop in filter, must mean stock airbox. i would get a flexible tube and snap on a open cone filter. take off the driver side head light and have the cone sit right by the opening head light slot.

traction should be off at burn out and launching

shift to second gear and drive around the water box and smash on the pedal to dust off the tires.

put the car back to drive. DON'T forget this step!!! cuz you do not want to leave on 2nd going down the lane.

on launch i start with about 1500 rpm. you might be able to launch higher rpm, but for starter i stay around that area then move on up to higher rpm on your your next pass and so on. you can take off at the 3rd yellow light. don't have to wait on green. when you ready to launch and it's the 3rd yellow light, let off the brake foot and let the car roll out (don't stomp on the pedal cuz you will spin, let it roll first) then smash on the gas pedal to the finish line. practice, practice...i'm still learning too. good luck!
great post Ryan (silverbullitt), smash on the pedal very well said, good luck and do the above from what silver said....
 
  #6  
Old 09-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Budsjlm's Avatar
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota
Posts: 7,725
Default

are you going to race or just see what it can do if your just seeing what it can do or bracket race i sugest going to a test and tune day/night becuase you can run as many time as you want, you can try diff launch rpm's, burn out methods(with street tires your better off not doing one) and shift points if you feel inclined to shift

Ryan is right on all the point fosure, and a huge thing people don't realize is leave on the 3rd yellow your shooting for .000(.500) light
 
  #7  
Old 09-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: canton ohio
Posts: 31
Default just

just basicly wanna see what she will run before i put her away for the winter. as iam looking to do a cam and gen v swap. so i guess just a base line time for future mods. oh and for that sweet smell of rubber burning lol.
 
  #8  
Old 09-27-2010, 06:20 PM
nemesis's Avatar
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: over here
Posts: 2,810
Default

x2 like what buds said with street tires it's not necessary to do a big burn out all you want to do is clean out the tires. definitely don't go in the water box and do burn out with street tires cuz you will fling water all over the track and them guys running slicks will be real **** off at you lol. if you driving to the track try to get a good estimate how much you need to fill up your fuel tank. you don't want to be racing with full tank of gas. if you can get down to 1/4 of a tank or less when arrive at the track that would help reduce down the weight. if it's me i would try to burn off the gas to almost empty tank when get closer to the race track. then buy race gas at the track.
 
  #9  
Old 09-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: canton ohio
Posts: 31
Default how much

how much race gas should i put in at a quarter tank or below ive got her tuned for 92/93
 
  #10  
Old 09-28-2010, 10:40 PM
nemesis's Avatar
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: over here
Posts: 2,810
Default

Originally Posted by tim_haha2000 View Post
how much race gas should i put in at a quarter tank or below ive got her tuned for 92/93
if you about 1/4 tank i put 2-3 gallons. you don't need to tune just pump the gas in. all it is is higher octane gas. i ran 100 octane in the gtp. they sell 106 octane at the track i went to. since i had a little over 1/4 of 100 octane left that's why i didn't bother filling up with the 106.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: going to track any tips


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.