Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Racing your Monte (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/racing-your-monte-26/)
-   -   going to track any tips (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/racing-your-monte-26/going-track-any-tips-23544/)

tim_haha2000 09-26-2010 02:57 PM

going to track any tips

iam looking at going to the track soon to see what the montes got before winter hibernation.so iam looking for tips. i race on the streets just not the track. what rpm should i launch at? trac control on or off ?my mods are zzp headers/zzp 3 inch d/p. prj race wires/ 180 drilled tstat/nkg iridium plugs/3.4 mps/k@n drop in filter/ custom tune / new egeal f1 tires. ive got a 04 intimadator

Space 09-26-2010 03:16 PM

Hi Tim,
I have not raced @ the track for a few years, but I'm
sure that if you check back on your thread questions
that several of our Drag Racing Member's will post
what they are doing to get the best time.
I will also be reading their experiences & what they are doing.
My problem was always the Christmas tree :eek: and nerves...
The first time I raced my legs were shak'in :eek::D

Everyone that needs practice & for `Fun
Click on the below link & check your reaction times
http://www.howtodragrace.com/
:rolleyes:
Look 4ward to Member's posts on your Subject : )

punisherss 09-26-2010 10:21 PM

when doing my burnout i turn t/c off and drop into 1st...when launching i keep t/c on and i launch at about 1.5k-2k rpms on my NA 3.8...hope this helps...oh yea...keep your A/C off

nemesis 09-26-2010 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by tim_haha2000 (Post 264999)
iam looking at going to the track soon to see what the montes got before winter hibernation.so iam looking for tips. i race on the streets just not the track. what rpm should i launch at? trac control on or off ?my mods are zzp headers/zzp 3 inch d/p. prj race wires/ 180 drilled tstat/nkg iridium plugs/3.4 mps/k@n drop in filter/ custom tune / new egeal f1 tires. ive got a 04 intimadator

take all your junks out of the trunk, jack, spare and what ever out of the trunk. im assuming you running your stock 17" wheels for the future go with 16" wheel. drop in filter, must mean stock airbox. i would get a flexible tube and snap on a open cone filter. take off the driver side head light and have the cone sit right by the opening head light slot.

traction should be off at burn out and launching

shift to second gear and drive around the water box and smash on the pedal to dust off the tires.

put the car back to drive. DON'T forget this step!!! cuz you do not want to leave on 2nd going down the lane.

on launch i start with about 1500 rpm. you might be able to launch higher rpm, but for starter i stay around that area then move on up to higher rpm on your your next pass and so on. you can take off at the 3rd yellow light. don't have to wait on green. when you ready to launch and it's the 3rd yellow light, let off the brake foot and let the car roll out (don't stomp on the pedal cuz you will spin, let it roll first) then smash on the gas pedal to the finish line. practice, practice...i'm still learning too. good luck!

monte carlo 3831 09-26-2010 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by silverbullitt (Post 265159)
take all your junks out of the trunk, jack, spare and what ever out of the trunk. im assuming you running your stock 17" wheels for the future go with 16" wheel. drop in filter, must mean stock airbox. i would get a flexible tube and snap on a open cone filter. take off the driver side head light and have the cone sit right by the opening head light slot.

traction should be off at burn out and launching

shift to second gear and drive around the water box and smash on the pedal to dust off the tires.

put the car back to drive. DON'T forget this step!!! cuz you do not want to leave on 2nd going down the lane.

on launch i start with about 1500 rpm. you might be able to launch higher rpm, but for starter i stay around that area then move on up to higher rpm on your your next pass and so on. you can take off at the 3rd yellow light. don't have to wait on green. when you ready to launch and it's the 3rd yellow light, let off the brake foot and let the car roll out (don't stomp on the pedal cuz you will spin, let it roll first) then smash on the gas pedal to the finish line. practice, practice...i'm still learning too. good luck!

great post Ryan (silverbullitt), smash on the pedal :D very well said, good luck and do the above from what silver said....

Budsjlm 09-27-2010 12:22 PM

are you going to race or just see what it can do if your just seeing what it can do or bracket race i sugest going to a test and tune day/night becuase you can run as many time as you want, you can try diff launch rpm's, burn out methods(with street tires your better off not doing one) and shift points if you feel inclined to shift

Ryan is right on all the point fosure, and a huge thing people don't realize is leave on the 3rd yellow your shooting for .000(.500) light

tim_haha2000 09-27-2010 05:40 PM

just

just basicly wanna see what she will run before i put her away for the winter. as iam looking to do a cam and gen v swap. so i guess just a base line time for future mods. oh and for that sweet smell of rubber burning lol.

nemesis 09-27-2010 06:20 PM

x2 like what buds said with street tires it's not necessary to do a big burn out all you want to do is clean out the tires. definitely don't go in the water box and do burn out with street tires cuz you will fling water all over the track and them guys running slicks will be real piss off at you lol. if you driving to the track try to get a good estimate how much you need to fill up your fuel tank. you don't want to be racing with full tank of gas. if you can get down to 1/4 of a tank or less when arrive at the track that would help reduce down the weight. if it's me i would try to burn off the gas to almost empty tank when get closer to the race track. then buy race gas at the track.

tim_haha2000 09-28-2010 10:00 PM

how much

how much race gas should i put in at a quarter tank or below ive got her tuned for 92/93

nemesis 09-28-2010 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by tim_haha2000 (Post 265622)
how much race gas should i put in at a quarter tank or below ive got her tuned for 92/93

if you about 1/4 tank i put 2-3 gallons. you don't need to tune just pump the gas in. all it is is higher octane gas. i ran 100 octane in the gtp. they sell 106 octane at the track i went to. since i had a little over 1/4 of 100 octane left that's why i didn't bother filling up with the 106.