Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Another win for the LTZ

Old 04-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Default Another win for the LTZ

Last night I raced a GTI with aintake, exhaust, rims. Raced twice, won both times. I would take him in 1st, he would pull me back in at begining of 2nd and then by the middle-end of 2nd I would take off on him. This is my 1st race since the new intake and I don't like it at all, guess that's what you get for buying a cheap one, lol. The reason he would pull me back is because when shifting into 2nd the car would pretty much fall on it's face and it's never done that before the intake. SoI guess the stock one is going back on and I'll probably buy the one from MPD. So I don't know if it's sucking in to much hot air or it's just crap or this motor doesn't like a different intake. Just glad the LTZ had enough power to pull it back down.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Another win for the LTZ

congrats

what kind of intake did you put on it?

Old 04-24-2008, 10:43 AM

Cheapo one from ebay, explains a lot doesn't it, lol. Thanks, don't see you around much here much anymoreWiz

Old 04-24-2008, 10:49 AM

Too think of it, what about the new intake making the car run lean?

Old 04-24-2008, 11:21 AM

Does the intake look like it is restrictive? Is it posible that is more restrictive than the Stock airbox? Is it using an oiled filter? You might want to clean your MAF sensor if it somehow got dirty it could be causing your shift problems. To clean it use an electronics dustcleaner.
Nice Kill by the way.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

yes an intake could make a car think its running lean because its sucking in more air, so then it wants to send more gas through, if the sensor is working properly, but with those ebay units sometimes the sensor doesn't work in them, so you may need to check into a k&n one, cuz i never had any problems with the k&n unit on my monte 3.8 supercharged

Old 04-24-2008, 11:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: wiz kidd

yes an intake could make a car think its running lean because its sucking in more air, so then it wants to send more gas through, if the sensor is working properly, but with those ebay units sometimes the sensor doesn't work in them, so you may need to check into a k&n one, cuz i never had any problems with the k&n unit on my monte 3.8 supercharged
Problem being, NO K&N CAI's for 3.9's.[:@]

Old 04-24-2008, 11:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2009

You definately want to go with the MPD Inc Intake, I had the cheap ebay intake on and yes it took in too much hot air gets dirty easily, and it left my pcf exposed, not good, the cheap intake will do more harm than good, throw on the stock intake. The MPD Intake is easy to install all bolt on, very nice directions, and preforms very well and the craftsmanship is very good. You will Needa Coupler that is 4" to 3.5" FORA 3.9 LITER V-6 to connect the air filter to the mass air flow sensor.

Nice Win!

Old 04-24-2008, 12:07 PM

Thanks mavrick I was going to ask you about that. I just got this one for the time being, does look and sound great butcan't perform. I'm going to put the stock one back on probably this weekend. Then order the MPD. I'm going to try to use the piping from this kit do it can be free flowing all around. So did you feel a boost in performance with the MPD? Does it sound good?

Off topic but how much did that interior cost you, I've been wanting to do something like yours to mine?

Old 04-24-2008, 08:11 PM

About what year was the GTI?? The 3.9 is very picky in what intake you use. I've run into similar problems. The setup I have is the best so far. I've tried several methods amd tested them all out. I have a cone filter inside a the gutted stock airbox covered by one of those roof flask. I've had it sealed up but it actually performed better when I unsealed it. Go figure.

i also have my front motor mounts turn which does help a little.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another win for the LTZ