Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

5.7 HEMI (Don't believe the Hype!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 5.7 HEMI (Don't believe the Hype!)

So After getting my 2006 SS out of the shop today I drove past another used car dealership and decided to see what the HEMI was all about because they had a 2006 Charger R/T for sale.

I have many friends who swear that my V8 SS could never beat a HEMI. Even one friend who claims his 3.5L V6 Charger could take me, but he isn't willing to race me. I haven't had the opportunity to race a car powered by the infamous HEMI yet and have had my V8 SS for more than a year now. So I test-drove one. It has some good power and isn't slow. But from my opinion, it isn't any faster than the V8 SS. Might not even be as fast. But after driving this car, I know there is no way it will blow me out of the water like so many people have told me.

Any 2006/2007 SS owners ever raced or driven a HEMI?

Old 08-25-2008, 06:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default RE: 5.7 HEMI (Don't believe the Hype!)

The Monte SS has a better power/weight ration than the dodge charger. Thats probably why it seems faster. Even with more power from the charger, 340 vs 303 from the monte, the monte weighs 3500 lbs and the charger weighs 4100 lbs.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:10 AM

Hi `Bill, X2 on Matt`s post above : )
I love cars, and love powerful ones more : )
[:-]
[/align]REVIEWS: [/align]2006 Dodge Charger SRT8
[/align]By Joe DeMatio[/align]Photography by Andrew Yeadon[/align][/align]

[/align]
[/align][/align][/align]
MONTEREY, CALIFORNIA - Chrysler's SRT (Street Racing and Technology) division is churning out new models as fast as you can moan "A Charger should have two doors" into your beer. Without entering that debate, we'll note that this is the Chrysler Group car that is perhaps most deserving of SRT treatment, since the Dodge Charger nameplate clearly still resonates with performance-minded drivers.
The recipe for the Charger SRT8 is familiar: Bore out Chrysler's modern-day Hemi V-8-already a formidable source of power, torque, and retro rumble for more than one million buyers in all its many applications-to expand displacement from the stock 5.7 liters to 6.1 liters. Raise the compression ratio, and fit higher-flow cylinder heads and a new intake manifold. Step back and revel in 425 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque, a 70.1-hp-per-liter rating that exceeds that of the original Hemi, with modern (i.e., realistic) SAE net power ratings to boot.
The Charger SRT8 drives very similarly to SRT8 versions of the Chrysler 300C and the Dodge Magnum. Chassis tuning among the three is virtually identical. Compared with stock Hemi models, all boast firmer dampers, higher spring rates, stiffer bushings, and bigger antiroll bars. The Charger SRT8 rides half an inch lower than a Charger R/T, and the car rolls on stunning twenty-inch, forged-aluminum wheels shod with Goodyear Supercar F1 performance rubber, 245/45 in the front, 255/45 in the rear. Other exterior changes from the regular Charger include new front and rear fascias, a hood scoop, and a reasonably tasteful rear spoiler.
After an afternoon of flogging the Charger SRT8 around Laguna Seca Raceway, we don't doubt SRT's claims of a 0-to-60-mph time of five seconds, a quarter-mile in thirteen seconds, and 60-to-0-mph braking of 110 feet. "We get it in terms of braking in a performance car," says SRT director Dan Knott. Yes, they do: four-piston Brembo calipers clamp down onto 14.2-inch-diameter front and 13.8-inch-diameter rear discs. The brakes proved immune to fading or distortion during hard track use, although we found pedal feel a bit mushy.
Acceleration and braking may be impressive, especially for such a big car, but there's no hiding the Charger's 4160-pound curb weight,[X(] whether you're power-oversteering at the track or just bombing down the road. The Dodge stays relatively flat through corners, yet you can't help wishing for more body control. The steering is quick enough, but its messages are muffled by vibrations from the steering column. And as for the cool-looking, stitched-leather seats? The seat bottoms are too short, and the seatbacks cut into your shoulder blades.
SRT's cars are similar to those of their cousins at Mercedes-Benz AMG: lots of engine, lots of power, lots of brake, lots of rubber, lots of attitude, but not much finesse. The two divisions would do well to put their heads together and figure out how to make their models speak to enthusiasts with the subtle brilliance of BMW's M cars.
That said, subtlety is clearly not this car's intention. Bargain-priced power is. And since the Charger matches the output of the SRT 300C and Magnum but sells for less, it is arguably the most compelling of all.
SPECS
On sale: November
Price: $35,995
Engine: 6.1L OHV V-8, 425 hp, 420 lb-ft
Drive: Rear-wheel

Old 08-26-2008, 09:36 AM

Stock r/tvs stockSS is mostly a drivers race. And also who gets the Hit, what gear you are in etc.
I have beat a few stock r/t's and daytona r/t not by much but a win is a win. Lost to a modded r/t by half a car.
Had another r/t jump on the second honk so i never got to catch up but he had the jump.
If you race from a dig make sure you nail your launch. From a roll my car pulls like crazy from 20 to 30 mph roll. without much spinning.
Their weight is what kills them.
They might get us on the top end but ones i raced we never got passed 80 so dont know. Of all the R/T's I like the magnum the most. too bad it is getting axed just like the monte did.
Only way to shut up your friends is to race one.
The V6 charger has no chance against the monte, less power and more weight.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:16 AM

L.K.,
I always enjoy reading your post, and more importantly is that
your purchased your Awesome Monte Carlo V8 SS
and enjoy using it safely : ) WoW -O- WoW
I`ve seen to many withpowerful cars that just cruise around like
the elderly here in Florida, and never enjoy the Power
of the car that they purchased.
You have posted many times about the fun that you have
been having with your SS.
I think you drive it like it was meant to be driven.
4-Sure : )
EnJoying the Power of the Awesome Chevy V 8
They were built to have `fun [8D]
Thanks, from Space & the BeachBums
Honk & `go
[sm=gears.gif][sm=gears.gif]

Old 08-27-2008, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

big_mecho13, Where did you get that grill?

Old 08-28-2008, 08:10 AM

bwill314 I got the grill from ebay.
For like $30seems the seller is no longer a registered user on ebay.