Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

A 4 cylander?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 08:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member
Default A 4 cylander?!?!

So mere moments ago i was on my way home from visiting parents when a reach a familiar curve between two freeways that i like to do a lot faster than anyone else really can because of my Monte's handling. When cruising up next to me comes a 2010 Chevy Cobalt, he falls inline with me taking the curve at the same speed (recomemended 30, im doin 70) we catch up to traffic and slow down (me in the left lane him in the right) we cruise along for a moment and i catch sight of the SS badge on his car, instantly i think "he wants to race." a car exits out of the right lane and gives him the opening and he takes off. I was slightly behind on my acceleration due to having to change lanes but Red was quick on gettin. Eventually we hit traffic and i never really had an opportunity to pass him (this happened two or three times). A tuned up ricer Acura Integra tried to jump in one of the sprints but was quickly left behind "MURICAH!" I never felt like i was losing but we were definitely pushing each others limits and not far apart in our cars abilities. So naturally I come home to look up what exactly I was racing. Apparently Chevy had the stones to put a SS badge on a 2.0L 4 cyl. Now dont get me wrong, Liked the car, Loved the power and speed, But i thought my 3.8l V6 was pushing the SS boundry. I guess the car is a turbo maybe? i still pushes 260 horsepower stock and im only sitting between 200-230 if im lucky. But, I beat and integra so :P
EDIT: (please note from tittle, Im a mechanic, I cant spell)

Old 08-27-2013, 08:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hmmmm:
Interesting to say the least!
Thanks for the heads up!

Old 08-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Zen

If its a 2.0 turbo they run 14.0's stock (with a decent driver) you'd be surprised how quick they can go on just a tune only too. Doing pretty good if your keeping up there with him.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Super charger or turbo'd weights a lot less than our heavy as does

Old 08-27-2013, 08:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

70 in a 30mph corner, you're asking for it don't you think? And the cobalt SS's came either turboed or supercharged they're pretty powerful and lighter.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:04 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
70 in a 30mph corner, you're asking for it don't you think? And the cobalt SS's came either turboed or supercharged they're pretty powerful and lighter.
In most states yes, But in WA the recomended speed limits are a joke. seriously not a bad corner.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think when the Cobalt SS originally came out, it was super charged (don't quote me). Bottom line, it's a boosted 4-banger and I believe the SS was standard with the goofy spoiler (I think the spoiler is a bit ricy).

I drove the stick shift Cobalt SS I believe the first year it was out at a GM event. Off the line I liked the power, but I felt you zipped through the gears way too fast and you hit a wall too quickly. As mentioned earlier a tune, maybe some level of mods and all that is completely different...

But I think that was GM's attempt to give the compact car enthusiasts something from the factory that started with what most people add for mods (so you could then just go crazier). Nice idea to try and catch that crowd of enthusiasts, just not my thing.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:21 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Nice idea to try and catch that crowd of enthusiasts, just not my thing.
I agree, It looked alright and fun but i wouldnt trade my monte for it any day. I like big cars with long bodies. So what if it has a fat heavy ***, its mine!

Old 08-28-2013, 07:47 AM

The irony i had a cobalt pull up next to me yesterday and try and do that as well, lol. Me and my mustang buddy smacked him down so hard it wasnt even funny. Light bodies have a bit of a more get up, but most deff we have alot more power id say. But again I dont have a v6, I have the 5.3..soo...big difference .

Old 08-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

I say Chevy should revisit the quad 4. The fastest 4 cylinder they ever put out. It even had a header. Fix the bugs it had, put a supercharger and a good gear set in it, through it in a small body put the Z tag on it and wa la, a nice mini sports coupe? But Thanks my thinking. We all know Chevy doesn't think like us Common Folk!