Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

2003 Eclipse GTS vs. my monte

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2003 Eclipse GTS vs. my monte

I have a friend who just recenlty got a 2003 Eclipse GTS and wants to race me and i am not sure that i have a chance do to the fact that his car weighs less and stock his car has 210 hp it is also an automatic 4 speed with overdrive.I do have a CAI 2.5 downpipe and borla cat back so i was just wondering what anybody thought my chances where. and i would be taken off my rims if we were to actually race.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Default RE: 2003 Eclipse GTS vs. my monte

[align=center]Hi Luke, it should be a pretty close race. Be Smart/Safe, but[/align][align=center]let us know how it goes : )[/align]
[:-]Infor on [:-]
2003-2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS

[align=center]The flashy Eclipse sporty tourer gets a new GTS trim featuring 210 hp and a facelifted front and rear. ABS is standard on the GTS, along with a rear spoiler. Traction control available only with automatic. Also comes in Spyder convertible form.

Base price : $24,197

Engine : V6, SOHC, front engine FWD
Displacement : 2,972 cc
Valve : 24 valves, 4 valves per cylinder
Transmission : 5-spd manaul, 4-spd Sportronic
Fuel economy : city - 22 mpg(manual), 20 mpg(Sportronic)
highway - 30 mpg(manual), 27 mpg(Sportronic)

Suspension : F - Independent Macpherson struts
R - Independent multilink
Brakes : F - Vented discs
R - Solid discs

Horsepower : 210 hp @ 5750 rpm
Torque : 205 lb-ft @ 3750 rpm
Redline : 6200 rpm

Top speed : 130 mph(estimated)
0-60 mph : 6.9 sec.
0-¼ mile : 15.2 sec @ 92.0 mph
60-0 braking distance : 135 ft.
[/align][align=center]I think the Monte would Win : )

Curb Weight : 3241-3395 lbs
Overall length : 176.8 in.
Wheelbase : 100.8 in.
Overall Width : 68.9 in.
Height : 51.6 in.(coupe), 52.8 in.(Spyder)
[/align][align=center][:-]My Source below[/align][align=center]http://www.modernracer.com/mitsubishieclipsegts.html[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Good Luck `Luke[/align][align=center][sm=gears.gif][sm=gears.gif][/align][align=center]
[/align]
[align=center][/align]

Old 02-12-2007, 10:50 PM

[align=center]Luke, the below will give you some idea,[/align][align=center]but yours is wayfaster then this one : )[/align][align=center][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][/align][align=center][:-]Motor Trend Test of a 2000 Monte SS [:-][/align][align=center] [/align]Road Test: 2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
A new Chevy coupe for the good ol' boys

[/align][align=center]
[/align]By Matt Stone
Photography by John Kiewicz

[/align]
"Heritage" design is one of today's In Things: car companies rummage through their past for hits and then patterning new models after them. The hope is that the glow of halcyon days-gone-by will translate to enhanced brand image and increased sales. Not a bad thing; it worked for VW's New Beetle. Chevrolet's Monte Carlo was due for an update and got a dose of its own heritage in the process.

Now sharing platforms with Pontiac's Grand Prix and the also-new Impala sedan, among others, the Monte comes in two flavors: standard LS and sportier SS. The latter packs GM's venerable 3.8-liter V-6, putting 200 horsepower to the front wheels via a four-speed automatic transaxle. Chevy's added a few twists to the chassis to make sure it doesn't twist: engine bay strut tower bar, floorpan reinforcements, and a magnesium cross-car instrument panel support. It all works, as on the road, the chassis feels rigid and flex free.

[/align]

[/align][/align]
Styling? Always in the eye of the beholder, but our staff was split. We liked the overall shapes, especially in profile, but the detailing is fussy. The rear spoiler looks like too long an afterthought; the frontal aspect is confused; and we're not sure the fender "eyebrows" were worth copying from that mid-'70s Monte (popularized in an era notable for disco and the leisure suit). Chevrolet hopes you'll like it, but also hopes it appeals to the windaas in the wind that will blow across its flanks while running NASCAR tracks such as Daytona and Talladega. You see, Monte Carlo is NASCAR's winningest nameplate. That sloping rear window and high bustle were designed right from the get-goaand with the involvement of GM Motorsportsawith an eye toward keeping that winning streak intact.

[/align]
There's certainly no argument with the Monte Carlo's feature content, as our tester just packed it in: leather seating, dual-zone HVAC controls, CD and cassette, standard traction control and 16-inch alloy wheels, four-wheel discs with ABS, and power everything. Though the Series II V-6 may be as old as dust, it certainly works(It sure does). The 0-60-mph time of 7.3 will handily outdrag the mid-'80s SS V-8arear drive and all. Its low- and midrange torque is your friend. While you won't confuse the SS' handling with that of a BMW M3, it's entertaining enough, given its front-drive, sedan-derived underpinnings and purpose as All-American sporty coupe rather than road racer. There's adequate feel in the steering, the ride is luxo-car smooth without being mushy, and the brakes are a real step forward from many previous GM efforts in terms of feedback and modulation.

[/align]Road Test: 2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS[align=center]
[/align]
We'd hoped the new SS would get the supercharged 240-horsepower version of this powertrain, as offered on the Grand Prix. Not to be. But the Monte Carlo brand and engineering team is quick to say, "Stay tuned for something truer to Chevy's heritage." A V-8, perhaps? We'll see. A supercharged variant is more likely

Old 02-12-2007, 11:41 PM

your mods might put you over the top.

anyway, good luck.

i hope you leave him in the dust!!

Old 02-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i think you should be able to take him...possibly with the 20's, but definetely with the stockers you have...

it should be close...but i think you should take him

good luck and drive safe
and let us know how it goes

Old 02-13-2007, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

it looks like it is going to hae to wait a little bit longer because last night we got about 8 inches of snow and my car is not coming out of the garage for a while. I HATE SNOW!!!!

thanks for the support i while keep everyone updated with how it goes.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:44 AM

while you have it in the garage, i would make sure you have a 180* thermostat in there. wont give you a lot of power, but having the engine closer to the optomal temp of 175-185 will give you more power... about 2 hp on average.

other things to give you an edge...
-if stock tires run like 28-30 psi up front and 35-38 in the back if they are the stock tires that is.
not sure what psi you run in your 20's prob close to 40 im guessing... you might want to drop it to 34 or 32 for those up front for racing...
-bring the rear up a few #'s if stock go to like 38 and for the 20's maybe 42-45 depending on what the tire says as a max
-FWI- from your cardomain it looks like your just runing an open cone filter in the engine bay. go to my cardomain site and you'll find plans, pics, and links on how to build a killer FWI... you will deff see a HP increase going from what you have to a FWI. i promis. and parts will be less then $50 even if you go all out!

those are the things you will see a major improvement from.

you could go thru and try to pull stuff like tire, jack, floor mats, engine cover, but if your trying to do a fair race with a buddy... he will prob pull the same things... and with your car having more TQ your better off not letting him ditch any weight. with his car being lighter, if he pulls 40lbs of stuff he will see more gain then if you pulled 40 lbs of stuff. but dont race with misc crap in the car though.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:11 PM

let us know when you leave him in the dirt. we are all monte drivers even if we knre you couldnt beat him we wouldn't tell you that cause we have faith in out beasts.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:55 PM

Ok, downpipe, and cat back, do you have the u-bend delete? The catback helps some, but I think the ubend takes more power than the stock mufflers did. A filter definately helps, at worst your car will sound better while racing! Both being Automatic it's hard to say, you've got a good 8 HP of add-ons (if not more, guestimate w/the ubend in place). I would say race with less than half a tank of premium and the odds would be pretty close. I've driven the Eclipse with that same engine and wasn't overly impressed, it's power comes in all in the high range, and if he does anything other than WOT the auto would keep the RPM's low enough that he won't see the most effective torque curve.

Either way good luck, and my best advice is to never race a sore sportsmen, nothing sours a good win like whiney excuses, and nothing stings more than a pompus braggert making Tshirts (or something equally obnoxious)to celebrate his good luck. Keep it fun and its nothing more than that.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:14 AM

Hey, I just noticed a bare stocker SS was reported at 15.5 and the Eclipse is carrying a weak .3 second advantage at 15.2in the quarter-mile. If you run a quarter or more, with your mods, and more torque, I say it's a no-brainer your SS to win. Practice your launches with-out the TCC ( if yours got that) paying special attention to minimize wheelspin while also keeping the auto trans fromshifting too early. Having warm tires on will also help, so choose a run that's a decent distance from home, so that they have time to warm up.You'll notice that holding the brake and holding the engineat maybe 2100 rpmwhilein gear usually gives an advantage because starting this way keeps the blower spinning faster. (shouldn't take more than a quarter throttle, as long as the engine doesn't overpower the brakes) Then when you actually launch take care to watch the wheelspin, this should give the best launch possible. I've tried both using 1-2-3 and just keeping in in D, and haven't noticed any difference, because in WOT the trans automatically shifts at the same point if you upshift too early, and if you shift too late you hit the rev limiter which will cost you too much time. I have had problems, however, in Drive if the wheels start spinning, because in wheelspin I've had the transmission shift waaay early and kill the run anyways. But anyways, practice the proper launch without TCC, and I think you should win easy.

Quick Reply: 2003 Eclipse GTS vs. my monte