Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Using wax to protect the paint - question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Default Using wax to protect the paint - question.

Is it a good idea to use wax to protect the original paint job? Will wax damage the paint or preserve it? If so, what is the best wax to use? Also, is there any advise to offer on protecting paint?

Also, what about removing scratches?

Old 11-30-2009, 12:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

how old is the paint

a true wax will last a month. ur best bet for a long run is using a synthetic sealant such as meguiars nxt generation tech wax 2.0

if u want it to shine b4 putting on wax or sealant put on a true polish such as meguiars show car #7(professional brand i think)

Old 11-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Default ...car wax

......basically, any car polish that is geared for today's base-coat
clear coat paint method should be fine. Anything with a good CARNUBA base will be o.k. I use Meguires Liquid Gold. It
goes on real smooth and is easy to buff out. It can remove small
blemishes in the paint : Door ding scuffs, fingernail scratches and
imperfections like those. For scratches ? If they aren't real deep;
you may be to use a rubbing compound but use it lightly, then follow
with polish.
But whatever you decide to use ; spend a little extra and get a
good product. Polish one section at a time...buff...etc...etc...
Hope that helps a little bit ?

Old 11-30-2009, 12:24 PM

My car is a 2007 Monte Carlo LT with a metallic silver paint job. It still appears to have a nice shine to it. I have never done anything to the paint except take it to the car wash. I would like the paint to remain the way it looks. I have seen older Monte Carlos where the paint looks aged. I am trying to prevent that, but without damaging the paint using some product off the shelf.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Default ...Car wax

........One other thing you may want to consider is using a Clay-Bar.
There are kits that have the spray detailer ( lubricant ) and clay-
bars together. This will remove any dirt, road grime and some bugs.
I've got some bug residue on my front bumper cover and are still
trying to remove them.
You will want to clay-bar first and then polish it.
Hope that helps ?

Old 11-30-2009, 05:07 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs
My car is a 2007 Monte Carlo LT with a metallic silver paint job. It still appears to have a nice shine to it. I have never done anything to the paint except take it to the car wash. I would like the paint to remain the way it looks. I have seen older Monte Carlos where the paint looks aged. I am trying to prevent that, but without damaging the paint using some product off the shelf.
Thats mostly from people just not waxing and only washing their car in the car wash, then leaving it in the sun to dry. Making water spots and such.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:19 PM

Wax "seals" the paint so before you seal the paint you want to wash your car. Depending on how dirty it is, ie acid rain, industrial fallout etc you might want to use a polish/cleaner/clay bar. I have never used a clay bar before but I have seen it in action and it does a very good job but it seems like it is some work. I have used Meguiars cleaner wax and it works very well. I will not say it works better then clay bar but it is a good alt to clay barring. After you have cleaned your paint/clear coat you will need to seal it with a wax. I personally use Meguiars Gold Class and have had excellent succuss with it.

Figured I would add that in with what everyone else is saying.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Over time, your paint will develope swirl marks and light scratches, no matter how clean and waxed you keep it. Just washing your car can cause fine scratches, there isnt really anything you can do to prevent it. Wax will seal the paint and protect against environmental elements and give your paint a little extra UV protection. As long as you keep your car clean, dont take it through the carwash and keep a nice coat of wax on it, your paint will last you a long time. After a while it will develope swirl marks and light oxidation, but you can sand/buff or polish them out and keep them from getting too bad.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Default ...car wax

......ditto on the Not taking the car to a carwash. Some of those places can do more harm to car's finish than good. I have always
used a soft wash-mitt. The clay-bars do require some elbow grease
but it is worth it. You may want to invest in a car cover as well ?

Old 12-01-2009, 08:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You want to wax your car for sure. I wax mine about every 2-3 months. I've used clay bar once on my car, but its a good thing to do once a year.

Since you have not waxed yours, I would recommend you clay your car, then apply a nice coat of wax. The wax it about every 3ish months.

I've tried several different waxes: Meguirers Gold Class, Meguirers Cleaners wax, Zymbol Cleaners wax, Carnu-B, and Turtle wax Carnuba. All worked well. I know the times i've taken it to the car wash to be detailed, they use Blue Corral wax.

For fine scratches, Meguirers Scratch-X works awesome!

Quick Reply: Using wax to protect the paint - question.