Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

tips on aligning door

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 07:15 PM
Default tips on aligning door

i really need help getting this door back on,its been a week and im starting to get wasps in the car

I had it almost perfect then I tweaked it just a little now it sits high in the front and very low in the back,i had a three inch gap at the top now its only about an inch,im almost to the point of paying a body shop to fix it,but I don't want to spend the money when I know it can be done by myself

Old 06-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I gave up on my Chevrolet truck putting in new hinge pins. Took it to a body shop and $50 later I was good.

Your monkeying around might eventually get it, but a shop has all the proper door supports and will get it on correctly. Last thing you want to do is get it on close enough and then always have air noise coming through when your doing 75 on the freeway. Or water seeping in. That get annoying too...

Wish I knew how to guide you along, but that is such a fine line you need to walk to get it on and sealing properly.

Good luck

Old 06-02-2015, 08:09 PM

i have found out this is the most annoying thing to fix on a car since every slight movement changes it drastically,and the problem with a body shop is the car has no motor so id have to get it towed there and back or get them to come to my house and fix it and that adds up faster,i would gladly pay the 50 but the towing cost or mobile mechanic prices would cost more,i guess il keep messing with it until i get it right

i figured if i had two more helpers i could take the door off and get them to hold the door perfectly to the body while i put the hinges on but im all by myself on this with an engine hoist,i actually broke a bolt off in the lower hinge so i can only put one bolt in the bottom now which really sucks

Old 06-02-2015, 08:29 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Understand, did not remember you had no engine in your car. Have you watched videos where there the door is supported from straps hung in the rafters or from an engine hoist? Then you can move it up and down as you want to. I tried doing that before with my older truck and it worked. This time around I was dealing with springs and just said screw it.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:37 PM

ive been using my hoist but i have a strap all the way around the door so the strap get in the way of letting the door close,but il tryo to get my window rolled down so i can hook the straps on the inside of the door like you mentioned,the hardest part is probably dealing with the stupid red wasps,they built a nest in my hoist so i had to clear it out and one behind my gas cap door and they keeping buzzing around me,im a pretty fearless person except when it comes to wasps they seem to get me in the head everytime

i plan to get it done tomorrow since im falling back on other things that id like to get done,i didn't realize these doors are very heavy and i have no idea why lol

Old 06-02-2015, 08:48 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by KingWord
ive been using my hoist but i have a strap all the way around the door so the strap get in the way of letting the door close,but il tryo to get my window rolled down so i can hook the straps on the inside of the door like you mentioned,the hardest part is probably dealing with the stupid red wasps,they built a nest in my hoist so i had to clear it out and one behind my gas cap door and they keeping buzzing around me,im a pretty fearless person except when it comes to wasps they seem to get me in the head everytime

i plan to get it done tomorrow since im falling back on other things that id like to get done,i didn't realize these doors are very heavy and i have no idea why lol
I hear you about the wasps, them suckers are always making nests in my cement mixer, scaffolds and such. They do love to dive bomb and buzz us for sure, LOL, time for the ol water hose.

dang, sorry your in such a pickle. Know what your saying, even the smallest movement is magnified when trying to align a door. Guess you can always just seam the gap with some blue painters tape to keep the wasps out of your Monte.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:21 PM

yea that's pretty much what I done today lol,after I get them perfect il use a center punch to mark around the hinges so if they ever need to be aligned again il know where to put them