Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Opinion Needed: Sunroof replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by farmerjg
It's not the tracks. I'm about to get real technical here so hold on to your hat. Your actuator is confused about where it's at and it keeps thinking it's fine. You know how it works after you just sit there and to it a couple times? Well, sit in there and do it a bunch of times. Mine used to do it too, and I could fix it the same way. 7 years ago now I got upset at it so I sat in my car and just opened and closed the thing non stop for like 25-30 minutes. It's never done it since. If you check on this forum you'll find other people who've had the same problem and fix it the same way. Again, I know it sounds silly, but more than a few people have fixed it the same way.
Oh wow, this I did not know this and I've had my Monte for A LONG time and was apart of the old Monte forum (Kevnascar)! lol

It's true, you learn something new every day.

It very much sounds crazy but if it fixes it, I'm all for that - just worried I'd burn the motor doing that for 30mins!

Thanks for the tip!

Johnny

Old 06-24-2016, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mac7504
just worried I'd burn the motor doing that for 30mins!

Thanks for the tip!

Johnny
Let's just say my level of frustration at that time was roughly approaching the point of lighting a rag on fire and putting it in the fuel neck. In my irrational state I wasn't worried about the motor.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by farmerjg
Let's just say my level of frustration at that time was roughly approaching the point of lighting a rag on fire and putting it in the fuel neck. In my irrational state I wasn't worried about the motor.
LOL I got you!

I need to get my crap together and start doing the maintenance she needs. I've been concentrating too long on other projects.

I need to fix my driver window switch too. ugh

I may end up just as frustrated after all of this too.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like you guys are having a problem with the sunroof control switch. It has a positioning sensor in it that is going wacko. If farmerjg's trick doesn't work you will need to replace this switch that utilizes an encoding system. A new switch is $42.97 new.

Here's a link which also suggests other compatible models.

Link:
SWITCH. Sun Roof Control. SUNROOF made by GM. #12459083

Old 06-24-2016, 11:54 PM

Oh thanks for that plumbob.

I'll report back of the hack doesn't for work me.