Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Opinion Needed: Sunroof replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 10:41 PM
Default Sunroof replacement

Need to replace sunroof on my 2001 monte carlo
Does anyone knows what oher models and years will fit?please let me know which ones

Old 06-11-2016, 12:54 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I would think that the 2000-2005 should all be interchangeable.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:16 PM

Thanks a lot,my bad but I meant what other GM models and years because I'been looking in junk yards and is hard to find Monte Carlos with sunroofs I Have seen Impalas,Grand prix,Malibus,bonnevilles etc

Old 06-12-2016, 07:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Check with the GM dealer to see which ones will fit universal. I would think they would all be interchangeable the money saving would be positive for the manufacturer.
I had an Oldsmobile back in 89 and the Buicks and Pontiacs fit as well. Take your tape measure to check it out.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:46 PM

Thanks ,Ihad check they fit ,but motor configuration and position changesI compare a2002 impala and a 2008 grand prix and dimensions are the same except for motor position,I going to remove headliner son I can see how the motor is mounted and get one alike

Old 06-15-2016, 03:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

If you lived closer to me you could have my spare but shipping would probably cost a fair bit to get it to your neck of the woods.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:33 AM

Thanks a lot,can u post some ppictures of it,so I can see what it looks like,please

Old 06-23-2016, 09:28 AM

So....

It isn't the easiest thing in the world to do, but if you really want to know you can kind of do a reverse lookup online. When I need to do this I go to www.gmpartsdepartment.com and I go find my part by looking up my make/model/year. Then once I have the PN I go back to the homepage and there's a section where you can search by PN. When you search by PN you only have to specify a make. So when you search for the sunroof PN and Chevrolet you'll see it's actually the same actuator that went into 1997 S10 sunroofs!!!! Consequently, after you search on Chevy's then, for instance, switch to Pontiac/Buick/etc. to see if it was on other cars.

Again, not necessarily the easiest thing to do, but you'll certainly see everything it went into.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:09 PM

I think my roof is going out or the tracks are really dirty - it gets stuck at certain points at times. However, once I go back and forth once or twice, it works fine.

Probably should clean the junk out and lube soon. I'd really hate to replace this thing.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mac7504
I think my roof is going out or the tracks are really dirty - it gets stuck at certain points at times. However, once I go back and forth once or twice, it works fine.

Probably should clean the junk out and lube soon. I'd really hate to replace this thing.
It's not the tracks. I'm about to get real technical here so hold on to your hat. Your actuator is confused about where it's at and it keeps thinking it's fine. You know how it works after you just sit there and to it a couple times? Well, sit in there and do it a bunch of times. Mine used to do it too, and I could fix it the same way. 7 years ago now I got upset at it so I sat in my car and just opened and closed the thing non stop for like 25-30 minutes. It's never done it since. If you check on this forum you'll find other people who've had the same problem and fix it the same way. Again, I know it sounds silly, but more than a few people have fixed it the same way.