Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Shark fin Antena

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
I bought a shark fin for my Cruze and have yet to install it. It was a group buy that I came across on one of the Cruze Forums; I think this particular supplier ran a lot of 17 or so.

It's a little bit larger of a shark fin, since it has to cover up the factory antenna base, but then again it's not the foot-tall mast that the factory antenna is. I've put it in place to get an idea of appearance and visually it looks a little on the large side for the smaller car the Cruze is. That being said, I'm still not sure if I want to install it.

Matt, were did you get this one. It's exactly what I want! x2 for my Monte!

Old 11-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I'm glad I don't have the factory shark fin. Since I store my Monte during the winter outside under a cover, the wind moving the cover would probably wear a hole where the shark fin rests....

I think the idea of adding a shark fin that serves no purpose is right up there with the fake car phone/cell phone antennas that people used to stick on their cars.

To each their own.
Jason, I see what your saying but I'm looking at it in the same way as say a spoiler or a roof scoop (horendous things but they exist) or even roof rails. Something the dresses up the monte a little bit and subtly makes it stand out.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:05 PM

I love mine ^_^

Old 11-23-2013, 11:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Hiroska
I love mine ^_^
You still don't have any pictures up!

Old 11-24-2013, 07:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm glad I don't have the factory shark fin. Since I store my Monte during the winter outside under a cover, the wind moving the cover would probably wear a hole where the shark fin rests....
Jason, I actually cut a slit in my cover (about an inch long) just for the antenna before storage a year ago. My reasoning being not so much wearing a hole through the cover but so the weight of the cover isn't resting on the antenna for 5 months during storage. Tadd did the same thing with his cover.

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Matt, were did you get this one. It's exactly what I want! x2 for my Monte!
JC, I got mine off of Bad News Racing > Chevrolet Cruze Shark Fin Antenna. This particular one is a VG Shark Fin Antenna, painted to match on order; cost me about $75.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks Matt, I will definitely check Bad News Racing. When I'm done with my Monte I want people to stair at it waiting for it to TRANSFORM!

Old 11-24-2013, 08:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
Jason, I actually cut a slit in my cover (about an inch long) just for the antenna before storage a year ago. My reasoning being not so much wearing a hole through the cover but so the weight of the cover isn't resting on the antenna for 5 months during storage. Tadd did the same thing with his cover.
Do you store your car outside or in a garage? I store mine outside and cutting a hole in the top of the cover defeats having a weather resistant cover by now allowing the weather a spot to come in as the top.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:01 AM
10 Year Member

Do you store your car outside or in a garage? I store mine outside and cutting a hole in the top of the cover defeats having a weather resistant cover by now allowing the weather a spot to come in as the top.
Garage, so weather isn't an issue.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:25 PM

I would think that you would have to drill a hole in and run a wire through your roof to make it operational...probably seal it from inside and out...if it were operational.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:04 AM
10 Year Member

If you're installing a shark fin over a factory antenna there is no drilling, etc. required. All you do is unscrew and remove the factory mast from the factory base, install the shark fin's antenna wire to the factory base (done with a screw) and secure the shark fin body to the car (usually with double side adhesive). That's at least how the one I bought for the Cruze works.

Obviously if you're installing one on a car that doesn't have an antenna at all, then yes there's a bit more work involved.

Quick Reply: Shark fin Antena