Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

resealing headlights?

Old 01-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default resealing headlights?

Has anyone in here had to do this? I noticed awhile back one of my Depo lights on the Monte are fogging up and I took it out yesterday and both of them fogged up again. So I am thinking about trying to reseal them instead of buying another set. (The company I bought them from wont budge )

So if anyone has some advice I would appreciate it.

thanks

Zach

Old 01-08-2012, 01:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012

I had to reseal my headlights when I retrofitted my projectors. I had my lens completely off though, I assume yours is still attached? I used a heat gun and applied heat evenly to both the lens and the housing where the glue was. As soon as the glue softened, I put the lens back onto the housing and attached as many clamps to the joint as possible. I continued heating the joint and glue until the glue had seeped into all the cracks and the headlight was sealed again. There was one spot where I couldn't get it quite sealed 100% so I applied a little silicon sealant to that small spot to make sure it was 100% sealed. Hope this helps!

Old 01-08-2012, 01:11 PM
RED DEVIL

thanks for the reply. Yea my lenses are still on. the headlights are still on the car.

I have also heard of a method where you can use an oven for the heat but i cant remember what the heat has to be set on for sure.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
thanks for the reply. Yea my lenses are still on. the headlights are still on the car.

I have also heard of a method where you can use an oven for the heat but i cant remember what the heat has to be set on for sure.
I used this method to open my headlights. The temp and time varies. I've heard anywhere from 200-300 F and 5-20 minutes. I think I did mine about 7 min at 250 if I remember correctly. Just keep a close eye on them. You'll be able to tell when the glue is softened by poking it with a skewer or similar.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:18 PM
RED DEVIL

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
I used this method to open my headlights. The temp and time varies. I've heard anywhere from 200-300 F and 5-20 minutes. I think I did mine about 7 min at 250 if I remember correctly. Just keep a close eye on them. You'll be able to tell when the glue is softened by poking it with a skewer or similar.
ok cool. I will have to do a little research on the temp and time. thanks for the info

Old 01-08-2012, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
ok cool. I will have to do a little research on the temp and time. thanks for the info
No problem I hope you get them sealed back up!

Old 01-08-2012, 01:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good Luck getting them fixed. I was lucky enough that they replaced mine just a week or so after warranty expired. Was it you I sent the link to that showed where I bought mine at? Someone on here bought some from the ebay people I got mine from. Maybe Depo's are just bad like that. No trouble outa my new ones, I took them out for winter anyways just to be safe.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:29 PM
RED DEVIL

when i called mine were out of warranty for about 3 weeks or so and i couldnt get them to replace them. I was pretty pissed off to say the least. I cant see myself buying another set from them so i guess i will have to reseal or atleast try.

funny thing is my car hasnt been in any outside elements to make the seal go bad. I tend to keep it inside if the weather is crappy and it is garaged when i dont drive it.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pa...dlights-24539/

one of the first threads i made after joining the MCF. First of all, if it were me, i'd pull the lens off the housing completely....mostly because you'd have to know the exact place of the leak, but also if you just glob a bunch of urethane on the leak it'd probably look like crap being uneven with the rest of the urethane. If you pull it apart you'll be able to clean out all the old urethane and get a much better looking seal (i only bring up looks because you may do some shows and the top of the headlights are very visible with an open hood). As far as the urethane goes, i just went to an auto glass shop here in town and asked for a tube...i think it was like 6 bucks. throw a few ratchet straps over the housing and lens when you're resealing so it holds tight and you should be set. I haven't had any fogging issues since I painted my housings and shes outside 50% of the time. If you use this method and need any help, i'm always on here

Old 01-09-2012, 12:17 AM
RED DEVIL

thanks jester. i will follow your tutorial.

hopefully i could get this done soon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: resealing headlights?