Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Replacing badges and removing pinstripes

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Replacing badges and removing pinstripes

Hi Guys!

I'm the second owner of a black 2001 Monte Carlo SS. I bought the car three years ago and it came with some "customization". All of the SS badges and rear Chevy logo are painted baby blue and the car also has baby blue/purple double pinstripes. At first I thought that it wasn't a big deal, but now I'm trying to return the car to it's stock appearance. The paint is starting to wear off the badges and I'm realizing that the pinstripes look very tacky. I have an OEM set of replacement badges that I'd like to put on. My first question is how I should go about getting the old ones off. It looks like there's a kind of double-sided tape that's holding them, but I don't know exactly how to clean all that off once the badge is removed. As for the pinstripes, it looks like they're just on top of the paint. People have suggested either having a detailer try and get them off, or having them painted over with body-colored pinstripes.

As a side note, I'm not sure if my car originally came with red pinstripes or not. Since I'm going for the stock look, can anyone confirm that the 2001 SS either had or didn't have pinstripes? I can't seem to get a definite answer.

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2015, 03:37 PM

I don't know about the pinstripes, but I'm also looking to remove the badges from my Monte to give a more custom look. It seems easy enough, just a heat gun and dental floss seem to remove badges easily. I've seen people use plastic razor blades to remove the excess gunk, but I wouldn't recommend that. I've heard it can still damage the paint. Something like Goo Gone might work. I'm just not sure if it's good for the paint, so Ive been somewhat reluctant to replace my badges. There was a good video on youtube about debadging. I'll post if I can find it.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Ok this is a fun thing to do.
I de-badged my Monte and then also remove the old tattered pin stripes as well.
It was great to get the new ones on also.
You can used a heat gun or I used a hair dryer, find the end of the stripe inside a door and work from there, warm it up and start on one end and work till you get the decal or pinstripe off.
Same with a badge it is most likely attached with 3M tape and you can them clean that with goo gone or mineral spirits/turpentine or paint thinner.
A Micro fiber cloth worked well and for the stubborn stuff just my finger nails, any razor or plastic scraper will damage the paint/clearcoat.
Do not use Acetone or Lacquer thinner or paint reducer they will remove the paint too.
Good Luck with the project.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2015
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I used klean strip gum & adhesive remover got from Orielliys took my decals off use it when cars in the sun hotter the better did not harm my paint.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:32 PM

He uses his own product to remove the glue, but other than that, I think this is one of the better videos about debadging.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:38 PM

Can the front badge be removed in the same manner, or is that one screwed on?

Old 08-09-2015, 10:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't believe the front badge is screwed on, think it is a snap in place with plastic pins.

I used a plastic razor blade while the adhesive residue was still warm to remove the thick tape residue. Then Mineral Spirits to remove the heavy adhesive left from the 3M tape and then used the Clay Bar to remove the final bits of residue. Then polished and waxed the areas. The Clay Bar worked very well, better than I expected...

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 08-09-2015 at 10:14 PM.