Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Repaint

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Repaint

I am thinking about repainting my car. There is only so much one can do with touch-up paint, and there are quite a few issues with the paint now. Most of it is probably unnoticeable to most people, but I know the flaws are there and I have got to do something about it.

Anyway...I'm knocking around 3 different ideas and I would appreciate any opinions/advice on which way I should go. Also, I will be doing all the prep work, and if I should choose #2, my friend can do the paint. He painted his GP basecoat white and it looks almost professionally done.

1. Repaint it the factory color

2. Primer black the entire car

3. Custom dark gray metallic (from Summit Racing)

I know the primer will most likely be the cheapest, but I heard that you cant wash it with soap or any kind of product. Is this true? If so, how does one wash it? lol And 3 will be the most expensive because of doing all the door jambs, trunk and so forth. Whatever exterior paint scheme I decide to do, the underside of the hood and the engine bay will be black.

Thanks for any feedback!

Old 02-23-2013, 12:20 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I deff wouldnt do primer, prob the best option would be to go back factory, color swaps involve so much time to do

Old 02-23-2013, 02:32 AM

"Most of it is probably unnoticeable to most people, but I know the flaws are there and I have got to do something about it." im the same way with all my cars drives me nuts sometimes....i get so like eery when someone stares at my paint or my car im like donnt. say..anything!! but honestly man i was in the same boat you were, i had a toreadore red monte 03' (that burgundy) and basically i was like factory color orrrr...and what i did was, i actually had the car painted like a candy burgandy..that way..its still very close. It's not like my cars lemon yellow, and i open my hood and its dark red inside..its still very close and matches..id do something like that..essentially a custom red that way when you open up hood/trunk and spots that your car will been seen with the OEM color, you'll be fine. And as far as the cost goes, if to some people your car was fine in the first place, and it bothers you..take the time to do it right, dont spend per say 400$ on a flat black paint job/primer when for maybe 1500$ or so (if its just resand n paint figuring no body work needed) you can get a new nice all the way color change from a rep. painter!

Old 02-23-2013, 12:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Im considering painting mine satin black!

just remember..... If by chance it ends up in primer for an extended length of time...
(due to whatever reason)

you'll end up haveing to reprimer it , before you can throw a paint job on it.... something to consider...

Old 02-23-2013, 12:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

If you like the current color I say repaint it. I wouldnt leave it in primer tho. To me those always look like a work in progress.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:32 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

You dont have to reprimer if u leave it in primer to paint it, you will have to wetsand & clean it than shoot a sealer down, which you have to do no matter what u do

Old 02-23-2013, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
I deff wouldnt do primer, prob the best option would be to go back factory, color swaps involve so much time to do
I agree on this. Theres been times I've really considered repainting my truck black but the work that'd go into a complete color change would suck. Especially doing the engine bay and ripping out the interior and doing everything else lol it'd be a nightmare.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

You dont have to reprimer if u leave it in primer to paint it, you will have to wetsand & clean it than shoot a sealer down, which you have to do no matter what u do
I merely mentioned it if it happenstances to be more than a cpl months to 6 months...like you said and then reprepped...
t the very least thats what I would do to insure the paint adhered properly etc...

Old 02-23-2013, 04:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Yeah Color swaps Suck, Alot of work to make it look nice..Go back Factory color..

Old 02-24-2013, 12:28 AM

Thanks for all the input everyone! i suppose ill end up going back to factory...or maybe that candy burgundy color that MarkoE500 mentioned. I'm not crazy about the color, but I have gotten compliments on it before because apparently there aren't a lot of Monte's in the burgyndy color, and because I have a coniption every time a spec of pollen touches it in the summertime, so i keep it waxed so you can see yourself in it....but anyways lol yeah, im gonna go back to the factory color.

also, i'm getting rid of all the stock "monte carlo ss" emblems on the quarter panels and trunk lid and putting blacked out SS emblems and a trunk lid bowtie like those that came on the 7th gen (same placement on lower doors and trunk lid)

again, thank you all! and whenever i get it done, there will be pics, be assured of that lol